Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:45 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I agree. My point was that subsidies are not necessarily the problem, it is just where they are directed.

For example, in the 1800's the federal government gave away huge quantities of land and funneled money to railroads to speed the construction of lines in the West. We could of course do that again in order to implement a high speed rail network(s).
But then 100 years down the road we would still be subsidizing trains, and hindering, let's say for ****s and giggles, hover crafts. It was a different time when they built the trans continantal railroad. Subsidies are bad policy no matter where they are directed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
But then 100 years down the road we would still be subsidizing trains, and hindering, let's say for ****s and giggles, hover crafts. It was a different time when they built the trans continantal railroad. Subsidies are bad policy no matter where they are directed.
I just don't believe that all.

Without some support from the government, we are simply not going to have a transportation infrastructure at all. Transportation is a natural monopoly because of the costs involved and the economies of scale. Therefore, there's either going to be government ownership or heavy regulation. We have historically taken the former in regards to our road construction and the later in regards to our rail. Most countries that have an extensive rail network treat their rails like they treat their roads - government construction and ownership.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
I would be all for subsidizing trains as long as the gov't set a date, say 20 years down the road, to then cut off federal funds. If a local municipality or county or state wanted to continue to subsidize it, that is up to the local government.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Transit in general is not self-financing. Should we also cut off funding to the interstate highway system? We could do that, by imposing high-enough tolls across the system to make the system self-funding. Non-self-funding segments (like I-80 from Salt Lake City across Nevada to Sacramento) would probably be abandoned altogether.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I would be all for subsidizing trains as long as the gov't set a date, say 20 years down the road, to then cut off federal funds. If a local municipality or county or state wanted to continue to subsidize it, that is up to the local government.
Well perhaps that would work but what I think is probably a better option is to have the government build, operate and own the tracks while leasing the track to private companies that run the trains. I know this is how some European countries run their system. The other option would just to have a fully owned and operated government system. That's what France does and they have one of the best systems in the world.

The biggest cost is to get the right-of-way and build the rail.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Transit in general is not self-financing. Should we also cut off funding to the interstate highway system? We could do that, by imposing high-enough tolls across the system to make the system self-funding. Non-self-funding segments (like I-80 from Salt Lake City across Nevada to Sacramento) would probably be abandoned altogether.
I see transit in general as a government service that is provided in order that society and businesses may operate generally without worrying about it. Police and fire service are other examples.

Of course, we used to have private police and fire services but that didn't work out too well.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
well the problem with passenger rail (Amtrak) is that it runs on freight lines so they are at the whim of those companies and their freight schedules. Except for the Northeast corridor which is DC to Boston with it's Acela trains the rest of the system is pretty bleak in terms of time travel.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
When I lived in Ohio, I wanted to take the train from Pittsburgh to Philly. It would have taken 8 hours via train .... 4.5 hours to drive and have transport while I was there.

Speed and convenience would be a factor to me.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:57 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
You should specify that it's PASSENGER rail that needs investment. Freight is doing fairly well. They are increasing train speeds around Harrisburg to philly with the track flagged for doing around 90 or so mph.

Also, The NYC-DC route actually carries more people than the planes that do the same trip. It's all about economy vs time.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Of course, we used to have private police and fire services but that didn't work out too well.
As an aside: I have private fire protection. Not taxpayer provided
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies