Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,113,275 times

Advertisements

The problem here is that this particular establishment did not have a "Free Speech" zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:19 AM

4,137 posts, read 2,840,147 times
Black people brawl in Walmart and we get "I'll give you three guesses who's involved" and "Ghetto", and "Blacks" and "Why aren't these people held accountable?" yadda yadda

Someone posts up a link with White people brawling in Walmart and we get *crickets*

lol

Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
I know that not every Walmart is ghetto, but when does Walmart ever move into a neighborhood and make it BETTER? I don't remember hearing about these incidents 20 years ago, so is it just that American public behavior overall has degraded, and Walmart attracts the dregs?

I used to occasionally shop at a Neighborhood Market Walmart. It was very small, basically just a grocery store. The customers and atmosphere were perfectly fine, but they closed down. Now I sometimes travel to Walmart Super Centers in LA county for work and every visit makes me want an Advil and a stiff drink. It is a cacophony of noise. I've never seen more parents who give their children absolutely NO instruction on how to behave in public. There's yelling, rolling around on the floor, racing up and down aisles, and endless crying/screaming. And in these stores, about 70-80% of customers are families with multiple small children. Even the employees are loud, yelling back and forth over aisles. I've also never seen more people open up things like laundry detergent and shampoo to smell them. Unless it's a tester, I don't think opening up products on the shelf is ever acceptable. Can these people really not imagine what "summer rain" or "spring meadow" smell like? It's also the only store where I've seen a used diaper in the parking lot and smelled marijuana from someone's car at peak hours.

So anyway, while I haven't witnessed violence, I do think Walmart perpetuates lower standards for our society.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Right and all those mom and pop business pay MICH more then minimum wage and provide GREAT benefits.

If you believe they do, I ave a bridge to sell you.
Show me a neighborhood that's been IMPROVED by a Walmart. Do property values go up? Does anyone looking to but a home say "we can't let this house get away...I hear they're building a Walmart!"

Old 07-29-2016, 09:55 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Wow very sad and it clearly shows no respect and tolerance and that this Nation is getting more and more divided.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:36 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I know that not every Walmart is ghetto, but when does Walmart ever move into a neighborhood and make it BETTER? I don't remember hearing about these incidents 20 years ago, so is it just that American public behavior overall has degraded, and Walmart attracts the dregs?

I used to occasionally shop at a Neighborhood Market Walmart. It was very small, basically just a grocery store. The customers and atmosphere were perfectly fine, but they closed down. Now I sometimes travel to Walmart Super Centers in LA county for work and every visit makes me want an Advil and a stiff drink. It is a cacophony of noise. I've never seen more parents who give their children absolutely NO instruction on how to behave in public. There's yelling, rolling around on the floor, racing up and down aisles, and endless crying/screaming. And in these stores, about 70-80% of customers are families with multiple small children. Even the employees are loud, yelling back and forth over aisles. I've also never seen more people open up things like laundry detergent and shampoo to smell them. Unless it's a tester, I don't think opening up products on the shelf is ever acceptable. Can these people really not imagine what "summer rain" or "spring meadow" smell like? It's also the only store where I've seen a used diaper in the parking lot and smelled marijuana from someone's car at peak hours.

So anyway, while I haven't witnessed violence, I do think Walmart perpetuates lower standards for our society.
I don't think an individual store has the ability to make a whole neighborhood better. If anything, Walmart is just a central gathering place for idiots that already inhabited a neighborhood.

When I lived in Columbia, MO, my Walmart was great. Mostly middle class folks were in there. However, the one across town was a completely different experience. Things were locked up, aisles were messy, and the clientele was quite different.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:48 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Walmart was just supposed to be a large one-stop store with low prices.

I remember when the regional chains started closing and Walmart came to town. I didn't like it because I liked having choice and comparison shopping at the different stores. I don't know what happened that it became the symbol of cultural trash. Where did the brawlers shop before Walmart? In some areas it is the only game in town so you don't have much of a choice.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Why are people always going to WalMart, IHOP, or any public place of business to get into these massive brawls? Is this an insurance scam?

How come they don't just go to a public park?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Why are people always going to WalMart, IHOP, or any public place of business to get into these massive brawls? Is this an insurance scam?

How come they don't just go to a public park?
Good question. We'd have to look at the reason behind the brawls. Fights over merchandise and food or the bill? Maybe with IHOP the people fighting have been drinking.

Environment affects mood and behavior. Go into a place enough times that's crowded with loud people and things in disarray and you'll start feeling like that's normal. I also think a lot of the customers are stressed out and edgy due to poverty and the crap food they're eating.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:48 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
This is why I don't go to any Wal-Mart in a ghetto.
It doesn't always have to be a ghetto WalMart. This was suburban Indianapolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKtOvFpEhIM

I've noticed this. Wherever I go, regardless of ethnic composition of the community, the WalMarts seem to draw from alot of underclass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies