Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:23 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what you are saying one should be biassed on dress? have to look and talk like you? wear bow tie? looking at those marches/ protests during he 60's men wore suit jackets? if it were NOT for movies saying a thug wear a tattoo on his forehead- he might be a Hawaiian
Yup. It's always easy to make stereotypical judgements about people based on clothing or other factors. About 20 years ago I was at a small indoor shopping mall in northern Virginia. A homeless guy came up to me and said, "If I could just get 20 more dollars, I could get a motel room for tonight." I don't usually give to beggars, but in this case, since the temperature that night was forecast to dip to around zero, I decided to. About 2 months later I was at the same mall and going down the escalator. A guy coming up the opposite escalator looked at me and said, "Wait for me at the bottom. I need to talk to you." It was a perfectly safe location; so I did. "I think you're the man who gave me $20 a while back to get a motel room on a very cold night." Ah. I told him I was. He paid me back the $20, said he had since gotten a fairly decent job and was doing okay now. You never know.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
You portray what you are. You show up with a grill, meth mouth, pants sagging, gang colors or tee shirt (I do so love that), reeking of cigarette smoke, and talk like you never graduated elementary school you get judged by how you present yourself.

What are you talking about? No one said suit and tie. Nice putting your own assertions on me, biased much? See above.
Well, now wait a minute.

It is fair to make assumptions based on clothing, but you should keep in mind that you may be wrong.
It is no more unfair to make assumptions based on postings.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Whites were also protesting and blacks were also cops. This boils down to more than race. It's also about cops and the way which they approach people. I also believe when a cop pulls you over don't shoot off your mouth and say crazy things. Cops are also licensed to kill if you go off the rails. Don't be a dead fool. They're are good cops just as there's good protesters. Let's all use common sense.
Show me that law.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:30 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't think people should be judged by how they dress. We all wear what we think looks good on us.
But we do, and I do. I used to have long hair and looked like a "punk". When I was in my early 20's I decided that if I was ever to be treated seriously, I had to look serious. I have had a crew cut style hair since then. I shortly afterwards landed a fine corporate job.

I would want nothing more than to be sleeved with tattoos and have long flowing locks because I am really a white trash metalhead on the inside. But, if I want people to take me seriously in real life I have to look the part.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:31 AM

643 posts, read 471,823 times
Blacks are not going to change anything. When the smoke dies down nothing will have changed. Its like after the civil war, freedom is all they have, its all that has been given them. Their culture is still rotten and still crime ridden and they are not able, willing or taught a better education. Until they quit blaming everyone else for the problems of their own making then nothing will ever change.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:35 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
The odd thing is that when we look at the videos of the protests throughout the country there are many white faces in the crowds.
At least two of the police who were killed in Dallas by a black shooter died while protecting a black woman and her children.
It's sad that anyone would think that there might be a race war because a black shooter was resposible. Most people don't see a black shooter but instead a mentally disturbed individual committing a horrible crime against society.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:46 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,795,337 times
The title statement and the thinking get behind it reminds of the time after the cops who beat Rodney King got off. A black woman in my office asked me why exactly white people didn't think the cops should be held accountable. Why did we think it was OK for the police to beat someone like that. She wasn't being confrontational. She was asking.

I was both confused and stunned by her question because she assumed what she said. In reality, every white person I know was shocked as hell that they got off. We all saw the video. But because an all-white jury acquitted them, this black woman and probably many others jumped to the conclusion that all white people were a-ok with it. It was disturbing and demonstrated the perceptions that keep us divided.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:50 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
But we do, and I do. I used to have long hair and looked like a "punk". When I was in my early 20's I decided that if I was ever to be treated seriously, I had to look serious. I have had a crew cut style hair since then. I shortly afterwards landed a fine corporate job.

I would want nothing more than to be sleeved with tattoos and have long flowing locks because I am really a white trash metalhead on the inside. But, if I want people to take me seriously in real life I have to look the part.
I love this. I go to work in what I call my corporate disguise.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Let me ask you this: exactly what were you expecting? A punch in the face? A hug? Are you acting any differently towards white people?

SOME black people use a brush to paint ALL white people the same is no different than SOME white people using a brush to paint ALL black people the same. See how that works?
And do you see how talking down to people works?

Old 07-11-2016, 12:01 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I've never blamed all whites or cops for anything
And I have never blamed all blacks for gang violence or race hustlers or BLM tactics.

I really think that these are tactics to create division where none exists. I saw mixed race families enjoying a picnic this weekend, I say a white guy and black guy walking together into a restaurant yesterday. I saw kids of all races playing together in a local park over the weekend.

I think that on a personal basis, generally speaking, that the goal is to respect people of every race. I think it is the purpose of the media and people with an agenda to create the sense of urgency around racism and division.

I have watched the escalation of media coverage and the ginning up of division between races in the last 5-10 years and it really confuses me. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and I honestly felt that great strides were being made in society to reach out and build bridges of understanding and knock down the walls of hatred and division and today it feels like none of that progress ever happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies