Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Easier said than done. Were your ancestors black slaves?
My ex husband's ancestors were slaves.

His father was an abusive drug addict.

His mother was 17 and unmarried when she had him.

He lived in abject poverty till he earned an athletic scholarship to college.

He is now a colonel in the Army and holds a master's degree.

He's a jerk, but I don't blame that on his race. And though his upbringing left emotional scars on him that have created long term issues with relationships, he's definitely successful when it comes to education and his career.

Even more amazingly in my opinion - knowing how undervalued girls and women are in the environment he grew up in - his two sisters were crack addicts who never married, and had several children by several different men. All these little girls were raised in the projects. Every single one of these girls earned a college degree and/or joined the military and got out of those projects. Each of them eventually got married, and have stayed married, and now are raising healthy, happy families. I am so proud of my nieces.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-14-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:18 AM

29,498 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
For any black Americans that think they are oppressed - and that support Hillary and the democrats -- why don't you ask your leadership (and yourself) why they are promoting illegal immigration and spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars supporting them -- and not you.

You are being played like a fiddle.

Aren't we all, regardless of color ?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:19 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Many American blacks have ZERO tradition of academic achievement.
You just admitted to one of the major problems in the black community. Academic excellence doesn't take 100s of years to develop. Do you think Irish peasant immigrants had a tradition of education? Hell no.

You're making more excuses for your people's own choice to be failures.

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Here's my question.

If, when a small fraction of blacks commit all this crime that we here about, but yet we can't generalize and say "blacks are criminals" (because that is stipid and flawed reasoning), then why is it that because a small fraction of blacks are discriminated against or mistreated by someone it is perfectly acceptable to make the generalization of "blacks are oppressed"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Children are the future and without parental guidance there is no hope for a better future. It's up to Blacks if they want a better future, nobody else can do it for them.

Very well put, although it goes for all races.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 AM

270 posts, read 198,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't know about changing MEMES, but the issue of evil white mimes certainly needs to be addressed.

White mimes??? I thought we got rid of those YEARS ago! Where is my pitchfork!?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:23 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Very well put, although it goes for all races.
Yes it does, just staying with the topic

Old 07-14-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My ex husband's ancestors were slaves.

His father was an abusive drug addict.

His mother was 17 and unmarried when she had him.

He lived in abject poverty till he earned a scholarship to college.

He is now a colonel in the Army and holds a master's degree.

He's a jerk, but I don't blame that on his race. And though his upbringing left emotional scars on him that have created long term issues with relationships, he's definitely successful when it comes to education and his career.

Even more amazingly in my opinion - knowing how undervalued girls and women are in the environment he grew up in - his two sisters were crack addicts who never married, and had several children by several different men. All these little girls were raised in the projects. Every single one of these girls earned a college degree and/or joined the military and got out of those projects. Each of them eventually got married, and have stayed married, and now are raising healthy, happy families. I am so proud of my nieces.

Boom ! Mic drop... Kudos to your ex husband. He accomplished what many people of any color and were far more privileged could do. I know I couldn't accomplish what he did. Sorry the marriage did not work out.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:24 AM

My husband - who is white - grew up dirt poor, the child of two very young parents who migrated from the swamps of Cajun Louisiana to Texas during the oil boom. His dad was killed in an oilfield accident at the age of 29. His mother used the tiny life insurance policy that he had to go to college and earn a teaching degree - the first degree earned in her family EVER.

Back in those times, there was no thought of suing a company for unsafe working conditions. She got a bouquet of flowers from the company her husband worked for and that was it.

She had two small boys under the age of 9 at the time. Her mom watched the kids while she went to evening classes and worked during the day. They grew up in very hard times, in a tiny clapboard house, in a tiny, dusty Texas town.

My husband went to community college, and then began working in the oil and gas industry, making $6 an hour. He has busted his butt in that industry for 35 years. He makes a very comfortable living now but it's because he's kept a job, never failed a drug screen, never been arrested, never been one to stay out drinking and partying resulting in a hangover that impacted his ability to work well, never gotten a DUI which would keep him from being able to drive to work, never been fired, never even been laid off even in the worst of times because he was such a hard worker - in fact, he has only called in sick ONE TIME in his entire life - and that was when he had pneumonia.

An aside note - he and I had our DNA tested just for kicks. Turns out, I'm the whitest person I have ever met. He, on the other hand, has an amazing mixture of racial DNA -including West African DNA (that was a surprise, considering that he has straight blonde hair and blue eyes and looks like a Viking). Guess that's that bayou heritage coming out. Anyway, he comes from a very long line of very hard working people. He wasn't raised with the concept of making excuses for anything, or with the idea of being a victim, even though in many ways he WAS a victim and could have justified all sorts of failures in his life.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Boom ! Mic drop... Kudos to your ex husband. He accomplished what many people of any color and were far more privileged could do. I know I couldn't accomplish what he did. Sorry the marriage did not work out.
Yes, I'm sorry too - but I've moved on and am in a much better marriage now. He hasn't done well with relationships since we divorced, but his career is doing very well. And to balance that picture, a lot of people of every skin tone don't do all that well with relationships. It's not surprising to me considering the poor example his father set for him. But I had hoped that he would reverse that trend. I bet on the wrong horse that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies