Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:30 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Was that for socio-economic reasons or ethical reasons?

I do think you can think that black lives matter without supporting Black Lives Matter.
I absolutely do and I didn't point these things out to apologize for slavery or diminish it but to point out that the history of what happened is a lot more complicated and nuanced then "white people are oppressors".

Old 07-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Read this article

For White People Who Want to Attend #BlackLivesMatter Protests - Wear Your Voice

The comments are something else too !

Crazed activist demands white libs stop protesting for BLM:
--

We are marching, yelling, singing, physically and mentally exhausted because WHITE PEOPLE ARE KILLING US. So when I see white people show up to rally excited and smiling, ready to march like it’s a hobby — I’m disgusted and absolutely ****ing livid. When I witness white people taking up space, pushing myths of whiteness as political truth or using white saviorism to reframe their power and privilege, I’m ready to fight.

Saviorism = "White guilt"

In short, If you are a conservative and you are against what that guy said, then you need to check some people on your side because they clearly agree with him

Old 07-16-2016, 11:45 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I absolutely do and I didn't point these things out to apologize for slavery or diminish it but to point out that the history of what happened is a lot more complicated and nuanced then "white people are oppressors".
You're absolutely correct. The issue is a lot more nuanced than "white people are oppressors". Problem is, right wing conservatives don't do "nuance". Makes it hard for anyone to have an honest conversation about the issue.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:56 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Saviorism = "White guilt"
"Saviorism" seems to be an all-purpose put down term for white people who are trying help blacks in a way that a black person, for whatever reason, finds annoying.

Read this to get a good idea of the thought process (or lack thereof) behind the use of the term:

Mariam defies white-saviorism | The Daily Cardinal

Old 07-16-2016, 11:59 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You're absolutely correct. The issue is a lot more nuanced than "white people are oppressors". Problem is, right wing conservatives don't do "nuance". Makes it hard for anyone to have an honest conversation about the issue.
Well, I'm an independent for starters but it seems to me that stereotyping an entire group of people as large as one of the two major political parties in this country and then talking about nuance is a bit much.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:01 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Well, I'm an independent for starters but it seems to me that stereotyping an entire group of people as large as one of the two major political parties in this country and then talking about nuance is a bit much.
Your opinion is duly noted.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:01 AM

391 posts, read 290,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Read this article

For White People Who Want to Attend #BlackLivesMatter Protests - Wear Your Voice

The comments are something else too !

Crazed activist demands white libs stop protesting for BLM:
--

We are marching, yelling, singing, physically and mentally exhausted because WHITE PEOPLE ARE KILLING US. So when I see white people show up to rally excited and smiling, ready to march like it’s a hobby — I’m disgusted and absolutely ****ing livid. When I witness white people taking up space, pushing myths of whiteness as political truth or using white saviorism to reframe their power and privilege, I’m ready to fight.
She is crazy. Obviously this one person does not speak for the group. She has some serious issues. That is why groups need an official spokesperson. That way they can discount all others... this is the exact reason.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:07 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
As a mixed race person myself, white and black included, I don't understand that mentality. If they're protesting publicly, obviously the desire is to be heard and to gather support and understanding from those presumed to be unaware of the issues because it hasn't personally impacted them.

So why get mad when that happens? Most white Americans have little power to even oppress anyone in the first place, so they can't really stop whatever oppression there is directly. So all they can do is join in the voice so that it gets so loud that the true oppressors simply can't ignore it.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:09 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
She is crazy. Obviously this one person does not speak for the group. She has some serious issues. That is why groups need an official spokesperson. That way they can discount all others... this is the exact reason.
Yes she is one person , but if you look at comments there are a lot of people agreeing with her and thanking her too .
It's just like with these tweets or Facebook posts . You will see something hateful written by one person , but then a bunch of people commenting on it or liking it .

Old 07-17-2016, 12:33 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
As a mixed race person myself, white and black included, I don't understand that mentality. If they're protesting publicly, obviously the desire is to be heard and to gather support and understanding from those presumed to be unaware of the issues because it hasn't personally impacted them.

So why get mad when that happens? Most white Americans have little power to even oppress anyone in the first place, so they can't really stop whatever oppression there is directly. So all they can do is join in the voice so that it gets so loud that the true oppressors simply can't ignore it.
Yes good point. There is also the myth or stereotype that all whites are rich. It's like saying all black people are poor, it's inaccurate and not true.
The average white person working a regular job, who are they oppressing?
Even rich white people generally aren't oppressing people.
Perception becomes the reality. There seems to be this growing movement of oppression and victimhood..much of it from college and university campuses.
The 'social justice warriors' that paint every male as a rapist and every white person as an oppressor.
The straight , white male is the ultimate enemy of this group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies