Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

The early development of the internal combustion engine technology was heavily supported in Europe to this day. Mostly by funding military technologies like submarine diesels and aircraft gas turbines. We have done the same and are still doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The early development of the internal combustion engine technology was heavily supported in Europe to this day. Mostly by funding military technologies like submarine diesels and aircraft gas turbines. We have done the same and are still doing it.
The purpose was to win wars. Not to burden consumers and ship jobs to China. Amazing how a protectionist such as yourself cannot see how artificially high energy costs lead to the exodus of jobs.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In some cases it comes in the form of debt. Such as Q.E. Without that oil doesn't bounce back up to near $100 from $30.
So, they don't receive checks.

They get their subsidies through tax credits and government monetary policy.

Funny how the left demonizes the TEA Party's stand on getting rid of tax credits and federal tampering with the monetary system while complaining about tax credits and monetary tampering.

TEA Party, "We need a fair tax system that doesn't contain loopholes for the rich and powerful. QE takes buying power from the poor and middleclass while benefitting Wall Street."

Left, "Teabaggers suck."

Old 07-23-2016, 09:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I have no idea what all is available to them. I just noted one way the taxpayers have subsidized them.

Quote:

Funny how the left demonizes the TEA Party's stand on getting rid of tax credits and federal tampering with the monetary system while complaining about tax credits and monetary tampering.
I wont disagree with you here. I've been supportive of the Tea Party (not Palin's corruption of it) and OWS.

Quote:
TEA Party, "We need a fair tax system that doesn't contain loopholes for the rich and powerful. QE takes buying power from the poor and middleclass while benefitting Wall Street."

Left, "Teabaggers suck."
Again I agree. The right did the same with OWS though.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:25 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Left, "Teabaggers suck."

Tax loopholes are another form of government control. The left will not give that up. They just want the loopholes to favor their pet corporations and not the rights.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Where do you think smog and air pollution comes from?
free radical hydrocarbons, O3, NOx, water vapor to make the chemistry work, particulates to act as a reaction surface, and UV to pump the chemical reactions.

Absent from the list is CO2. Chemically stable and not reactive.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:31 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Using the electricity to run hydrolysis and create hydrogen that then can be put through a fuel cell would be an indefinite and more efficient method, but you need a certain critical mass of power to justify all the extra infrastructure, so it isn't feasible on a small scale.
That is one way to do storage and redistribution of solar power, but I wont let my mom drive a hydrogen car as the flame is invisible. Not safe.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:44 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Wind & Solar Impractical and Harmful

Embrace of Renewables Has a Hidden Cost . In yesterday's New York Times, a somewhat left-leaning paper, there was a devastating analysis of the naivete and inefficiency of so-called "renewable" energy sources. For reasons laid out in the article they require massive subsidies. The short version of the problem is that solar power is quite available in the middle of a sunny day, other times not so much. Wind power is similarly intermittent. As the linked article states:

Advocating renewables feels good, but has high cost and very questionable benefits.

Other articles have explored wind power's highly blemished environmental record. In an article entitled Wind Forum Explores Concerns. It seems many Vermonters have had not only their scenery, but right to live in reasonable quiet, utterly wrecked.A neighbor of one such project, quoted in the article stated:

Vehicle Emissions Standards Produce More Fraud than Benefit for Environment

In another article strongly hinting at the limits of environmentalism, Volkswagen Scandal Reaches All the Way to the Top, Lawsuits Say The linked article is one of many deailing VW's extensive fraud designed to fool environmental tests of diesel engines. For a reputable company with a lengthy history to go to these lengths it strikes me that the limits are utopian and not practical.
Feel good solution except for windmills to Bald Eagles

Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Solar & Wind Power Naive, Impratical "Feel Good" Solution
Solar and Wind Power is a practical solution for many homeowners like myself. Like any other business expense, it is a write-off. Like all other business assets they depreciate.

Even without any tax credits, they can be very solid practical methods of generating power for home or business use. The ROI is very quick.

When you get into net-metering all the economics instantly becomes murky shaded and crooked. Here in Maine they have been trying to pass laws to tax all electric consumers to fund leased net-metering systems. The real profit from this goes to the banks who provide the capital to install these solar systems. Taxing all electric users, to subsidize a few net-metering installations, with the profit going to banks, is WRONG in my opinion.

But I will leave the bickering on taxes to you tax-payers. I have not paid into Income Taxation in over 30 years. So it makes no real difference to me.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:17 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Nothing absolutely nothing funds tech like war....Take a serious look at WW2 tech. Had the world not gone to that little party I wonder if you'd be reading this now????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies