Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 12:56 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Everyone knows the sun only shines during the day and the wind only blows when it is blowing.

I am very happy with being on Solar Power.
No, the sun shines all the time, 24 hours a day. We just have to get the solar collectors up into orbit, & into permanent sunshine. Then beam the power down. The amount of power the sun gives off - in all directions, all the time - would easily run the highest tech Earth imaginable. If we ever get to the point of solar-system-wide engineering, then we might need to go to something more powerful.

@ that point, we might look @ assembling a Dyson sphere & capturing all the sun's output. But that's a long way off ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 01:03 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
Fusion reactors are the ultimate leap for humanity. Wasting money on expensive and inefficient low power production sources is asinine. If we want to have abundance for all, we need a virtually free source of energy with very high output...solar and wind energy are a joke when compared to our insatiable desire for energy consumption. (And I also don't know why we don't have nuclear reactors everywhere...

Fission should be everywhere, but fusion is the future...

Old 07-24-2016, 02:23 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Your argument comes down to some conspiracy that big oil is stopping solar from being utilized. I heard the same argument from the "run your car on water" crowd.

Let me ask you about your setup. How many tons is your AC system. What wattage of solar do you have that runs it?
It does interfere with the oil industry when it comes to household energy production. Companies like Tesla, solar companies, and other green clean industries are in direct competition with coal and O&G. Oil companies don't appear, as far as I'm concerned, to be jumping on the wagon to get a portion of their own business into clean energy so that they could still profit off of it.

I live in an apartment complex and I do not have solar. Though solar is common here and there is a chance solar does power my AC from time to time as it is one of the many electric sources we have here for Tucson. TEP has a variation of solar, coal and gas I do believe.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
I'm now a net energy producer. It is practical for my rooftop.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:32 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You got me there, I read the information incorrectly.

Care to address the other things I said?
Thanks for your honesty. Do you mean:

Quote:
Efficiency gains are being made using big data to analysis wind and solar activity and to predict it.

Renewable energy implementation is just really getting started.
My instinct is you are right but very far ahead of yourself. My own preference would be to have a higher gasoline tax, but otherwise let the marketplace pick winners and losers. I fear lack of government efficiency every time I go to Department of Motor Vehicles or deal with Veterans Affairs or Social Security.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:37 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
There are multiple forms of energy. Oil is too valuable to waste on anything other than products in my opinion. Using oil to transport a 4500 pound car with one human is stupid.

Using coal to produce electricity is a waste of coal.

What we should have is nuclear plants on every corner and electric cars. Oil should be saved for air transport and products that are petroleum based.

Just my $0.02.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:25 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
It does interfere with the oil industry when it comes to household energy production. Companies like Tesla, solar companies, and other green clean industries are in direct competition with coal and O&G. Oil companies don't appear, as far as I'm concerned, to be jumping on the wagon to get a portion of their own business into clean energy so that they could still profit off of it.

I live in an apartment complex and I do not have solar. Though solar is common here and there is a chance solar does power my AC from time to time as it is one of the many electric sources we have here for Tucson. TEP has a variation of solar, coal and gas I do believe.
I don't think that is the same as running your AC on your solar system.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My instinct is you are right but very far ahead of yourself. My own preference would be to have a higher gasoline tax, but otherwise let the marketplace pick winners and losers. I fear lack of government efficiency every time I go to Department of Motor Vehicles or deal with Veterans Affairs or Social Security.
I don't think it's far ahead at all as remote monitoring stations are already doing what I am talking about.

I simply believe energy and water are things you don't want to leave completely out to the marketplace. Personally, I believe once we get relatively clean and cheap energy we can have essentially unlimited water through desalination. Now that part is getting far ahead of myself, but it doesn't have to be that way. Something like that could never be solved mostly by the "free market" as a lot of R&D, subsidies, and legislation would be needed.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:46 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Personally, I believe once we get relatively clean and cheap energy we can have essentially unlimited water through desalination. Now that part is getting far ahead of myself, but it doesn't have to be that way.
In favor of your position is Seth W. Siegel's Let There Be Water, about Israel's use of desalination and other advanced techniques to ensure an abundant supply of water.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In favor of your position is Seth W. Siegel's Let There Be Water, about Israel's use of desalination and other advanced techniques to ensure an abundant supply of water.
Yeah, let's screw our ecosystem with expensive water desalination.

The Impacts of Relying on Desalination for Water - Scientific American

Quote:
Beyond the links to climate problems, marine biologists warn that widespread desalinization could take a heavy toll on ocean biodiversity; as such facilities' intake pipes essentially vacuum up and inadvertently kill millions of plankton, fish eggs, fish larvae and other microbial organisms that constitute the base layer of the marine food chain. And, according to Jeffrey Graham of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography's Center for Marine Biotechnology and Biomedicine, the salty sludge leftover after desalinization for every gallon of freshwater produced, another gallon of doubly concentrated salt water must be disposed of can wreak havoc on marine ecosystems if dumped willy-nilly offshore. For some desalinization operations, says Graham, it is thought that the disappearance of some organisms from discharge areas may be related to the salty outflow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies