Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 10:21 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yeah, let's screw our ecosystem with expensive water desalination.

The Impacts of Relying on Desalination for Water - Scientific American
Yea I am sure you give money to Green Peace...

Anyways, any solution has pros and cons... Not to mention they are certainly remedies and innovations to make the consequences less severe as this would take many decades to implement. However, it's a moot point without clean and cheap electricity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 10:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don't think that is the same as running your AC on your solar system.
Solar system? Well, I didn't think the galaxy powered my air conditioner

I don't have a personal solar electricity powering my place, as I live in an apartment complex.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:02 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,319 times
While there are many sound arguments against the efficiency of so called "renewable energy" I'm not convinced that the need for subsidies are one of them. Many traditional industries and even the big banks receive massive subsidies from taxpayers. Ever year banks get close to $3 billion in subsidies from the government.

It is like when people hold public transportation to a different standard. The highway system for our cars would not exist/survive without massive subsidies.

So asking a new(er) technology to compete without subsidies when the technologies they compete against have (such as through tax exemptions for fossil fuel producers) is anti-competitive.

National subsidies to oil, gas and coal producers amount to $20.5 billion annually in the U.S.

US Fossil Fuel Subsidies Increase 'Dramatically' Despite Climate Change Pledge

Old 07-25-2016, 07:40 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Solar system? Well, I didn't think the galaxy powered my air conditioner

I don't have a personal solar electricity powering my place, as I live in an apartment complex.
Sometimes the title of an article defines the subject.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Should push for greener more sustainable energy, but no goverment subsides for any energy

Old 07-25-2016, 08:18 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Wind & Solar Impractical and Harmful

Embrace of Renewables Has a Hidden Cost . In yesterday's New York Times, a somewhat left-leaning paper, there was a devastating analysis of the naivete and inefficiency of so-called "renewable" energy sources. ..

Your review hints that you didn't actually read the article. It says nothing about the "naivete and inefficiency" of wind and solar. It suggests that they shouldn't be subsidized so much, as these subsidies have some unfortunate consequences.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
What we have now is the technology to generate energy from wind and sun and that technology, especially solar, gets better and more efficient every day. What we have not done is to change the way that power gets delivered to the consumer and that is what is required to make renewables really viable.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yea I am sure you give money to Green Peace...
You're right, I never gave money to GreenPeace. I did non-productive things such as organizing environmental seminars on topics like non-point source pollution, protecting wetlands and erosion control while working at a state environmental agency. I take my Cub Scout troop out collecting garbage and planting trees. We watered trees yesterday. I've gone on multiple trash clean ups at local lakes and beaches. I've participated at four underwater clean ups in Austin at Lake Travis. When money was being raised to expand the preserve at Armand Bayou (a sensitive wetlands area near Housto), I donated and went to my employer and got them to match. Following Hurricane Ike, I volunteered to help with clean up at the Jesse Jone Nature Center. That's some of the mostly hands on things I've done.

But no, I have never given money to GreenPeace, you got me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Anyways, any solution has pros and cons... Not to mention they are certainly remedies and innovations to make the consequences less severe as this would take many decades to implement. However, it's a moot point without clean and cheap electricity.
So, you'll accept the destruction of marine habitat as a con to desalination but none of the cons of coal? How do you decide which cons to accept? Is it by what's trending on Facebook?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
What we have now is the technology to generate energy from wind and sun and that technology, especially solar, gets better and more efficient every day. What we have not done is to change the way that power gets delivered to the consumer and that is what is required to make renewables really viable.
We also have to keep in mind the environmental issues of solar power:

How Green Are Those Solar Panels, Really?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I've been looking at electric bikes and the viability of charging one through solar.

This is more of a interesting thing to do as opposed to a lifestyle choice. It would be nice to be able to ride over to the local brewery and have a couple and be able to zip back with no worries. ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies