Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,563,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This would make too much sense. I've always looked at the Second Amendment issue as the Democrat's own "culture war" issue. Most Americans support the right to bear arms, just like most support LGBT rights, but you have a vocal minority with clout behind it that wants to control people.
can we please send these people to an island somewhere in the Pacific so the rest of us can get to business on fixing the bigger problems in our country??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If I insult you over and over, no matter how right you think I may be, are you ever going to concede I am right on any point I may make?
that's another problem we have. personal attacks. and this has grown exponentially thanks to social media.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,749,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Not the first time you've been wrong today, I'm sure.

The Religion of State collectivism/statism is the most barbaric religion that has ever existed in human history.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:44 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,373,040 times
You can't compromise with absolute stupidity manifested in the dreams of a coalition of misfits and losers who see the confiscation of other peoples' property and the infringement of other peoples' rights via an ever-stronger central government as the answer.

Thre are, admittedly, a handful of groups, mostly among the Evangelical Right and within the Republican Party, who fit this description; but they are vastly outnumbered by all the whiners in the Great Leftist Playpen.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:49 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,800,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Why can't the GOP say - we'll give you gay marriage and stop creating anti LGBT laws, and Dems stop with the 2A rhetoric.

at least for a few years.

GOP, leave the abortion issue alone, Dems, start admitting we have a terrible illegal immigration problem and sanctuary cities are only making the problem worse.

didn't we all learn how to compromise in kindergarten?
Can you compromise and agree with reducing taxes and getting rid of Obamacare?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Can you compromise and agree with reducing taxes and getting rid of Obamacare?
lowering taxes for who?

we're $18T in debt.

can we keep politicians filthy hands off SS?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:56 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,232,799 times
Quote:
Why can't the GOP say - we'll give you gay marriage and stop creating anti LGBT laws, and Dems stop with the 2A rhetoric.

at least for a few years.

GOP, leave the abortion issue alone, Dems, start admitting we have a terrible illegal immigration problem and sanctuary cities are only making the problem worse.

didn't we all learn how to compromise in kindergarten?
I think they can. I think most would, in principle, like to. But, that's not how things work right now. Currently, there are a lot of things in place that make civil discourse unpopular. Rather it's the media, who wants excitement not politics, or the lobbyists who want X, not Y, compromise is being made hard to achieve.

We, the public, play a role in this. We aren't very engaged with serious issues. The average American is more concerned with Taylor Swift's legs (which admittedly are lovely; firm yet soft, long but not distractingly so...) than issues of the trade deals. The average American is also pretty moderate in most views. The extremes in both parties are not anywhere close to being a majority, but the extremes are also more likely to be watching the news. They care whats in the TTP. But their views are simply completely detached from compromise and are more concerned with winning.

So while it's silly to give a single answer to such a profound question, I think the best place to start is to encourage public interest in these sorts of things. Most Americans would be all in favor of compromise, it's just getting them to watch a presidential (or even better, congressional) debate over some show on Bravo. However we can encourage public interest and engagement is how we can start seeing representatives begin to make more compromise and have a more civil and honest discussion.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,749,511 times
Quote:
lowering taxes for who?

we're $18T in debt.

can we keep politicians filthy hands off SS?
Fees for services requested and rendered is the only moral system. Arbitrary taxation and extortion is evil.

"We" are not $18T in debt really. "Our" government is in debt. "They" decreed that the people were chattel and collateral for "their" debt in 1913. However, "they" had no right to do so. "We" owe nothing to the Central Banking Families for their non-service of counterfeiting and usury, regardless of what "they" want you to believe. Those who create fiat, create nothing, invest nothing, produce nothing. It is "legalized" counterfeiting, usury, and theft.

SS was a pyramid scam from its inception. If anyone "invested" that much of their income throughout their lives they would all be millionaires instead of destitute seniors when they retire. However, the criminal extortion racket run by the criminal organization we call "government" spends that money on handouts to our "representatives" friends.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Fees for services requested and rendered is the only moral system. Arbitrary taxation and extortion is evil.

"We" are not $18T in debt really. "Our" government is in debt. "They" decreed that the people were chattel and collateral for "their" debt in 1913. However, "they" had no right to do so. "We" owe nothing to the Central Banking Families for their non-service of counterfeiting and usury, regardless of what "they" want you to believe. Those who create fiat, create nothing, invest nothing, produce nothing. It is "legalized" counterfeiting, usury, and theft.

SS was a pyramid scam from its inception. If anyone "invested" that much of their income throughout their lives they would all be millionaires instead of destitute seniors when they retire. However, the criminal extortion racket run by the criminal organization we call "government" spends that money on handouts to our "representatives" friends.
no, no and no

taxes are not evil. give me a break. How do you proposed to pay for infrastructure, cops and the wars the GOP is so fond of?

SS is NOT a pyramid scheme keep your grubby hands off other people's money so you can pay to bomb countries in the middle east. people have been paying into SS their whole working lives for retirement, not to fund WARS!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,414,926 times
I refuse to compromise with the left because I don't negotiate with terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies