Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:00 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,352,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Cheap gas = more driving = more fatalities. But they're still way down compared to previous decades, due to improvements in vehicle construction and safety.
On Labor Day back in 1964 a radio station I listened to in Tucson AZ cheerfully kept track of the nation's auto fatalities over the three day weekend. They did it as a "service" to the driving public, but the djs got a little too gleeful as the carnage mounted and we're downright giddy when whole families were killed. Over 45,000 died in auto accidents that year, with far fewer cars on the road than today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 09:24 PM

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
"Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the United States every year, according to the journal's publisher, the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society."
"If you put a 20-year-old driver behind the wheel with a cell phone, their reaction times are the same as a 70-year-old driver who is not using a cell phone," said University of Utah psychology professor David Strayer. "It's like instantly aging a large number of drivers."

Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,120,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
On Labor Day back in 1964 a radio station I listened to in Tucson AZ cheerfully kept track of the nation's auto fatalities over the three day weekend. They did it as a "service" to the driving public, but the djs got a little too gleeful as the carnage mounted and we're downright giddy when whole families were killed. Over 45,000 died in auto accidents that year, with far fewer cars on the road than today.
The biggest drop occurred when the speed limit was reduced to55mph nationwide.

This increase from 2014 to 2015 is the highest percent increase since 1946. Yep, more drivers and more miles yet much lower percentage of fatalities than in the 1960's ( highest ever was in 1969) or in the 1920's or '40's.

On one hand, the organizations that reduce traffic deaths ( or claim) will never cease. Raw numbers are down 20,000 fatalities since the '60's but they will always seek more money to do more. If the speed limits were nationally lowered again, fatalities would drop to record lows.

With the amount of drivers, U.S. does better than any other country, by per capita, with as many miles as we drive.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:20 AM

35,773 posts, read 21,148,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Should be a felony to use a cell phone while driving. Just as dangerous as drinking and driving.
The problem is jobs- kids do text and they first to have an accident- but many jobs require you to be on the phone- my son is a cable Tech- always texting or actually has a lap top mounted on the dash just as a policeman- I see all types of NEW vehicles have Facebook mounted on the dash WTH?? my sis is in real estate always squinting to see, but 24-7 texting clients- I come to a stop sign might then, but I don't even like to answer the phone when driving or shopping for that matter - but I am 63-- this is the new world-- they gotta to figure it out- and road rage well -- we let the politicians act like azzes on TV - so do not expect less from the population- especially the young people. Mess flows downhill-I lost a son to a stupid driver - so I have no love for arrogant idiot selfish drivers who think they are only ones on the road-
unfortunately they usually walk away unscathed and kill everyone else.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:51 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,767,752 times
What about people having to buy smaller, lighter cars because of CAFE standards?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:16 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,105,394 times
Clearly it's Obama's fault. Thankfully Trump will bring law & order that will end all crime, so there will be no more car accidents...

Seriously, it's texting and driving. I think if you're caught it should be treated like a DUI.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 AM

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
States such as mine, Missouri, only prohibit those under 18 from texting while driving. How stupid is that?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:30 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,190,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The biggest drop occurred when the speed limit was reduced to55mph nationwide.
There was also a massive gasoline shortage/crisis in effect and people drove fewer miles. The reduction is essentially invisible when looking at the deaths per miles driven rate.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:12 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,120,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
There was also a massive gasoline shortage/crisis in effect and people drove fewer miles. The reduction is essentially invisible when looking at the deaths per miles driven rate.
There is no way to analyze miles driven per driver. Accidents = yes, total drivers= yes, but total miles driven? How are you gathering that statistic?

Old 07-24-2016, 12:58 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,190,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
There is no way to analyze miles driven per driver. Accidents = yes, total drivers= yes, but total miles driven? How are you gathering that statistic?
Miles driven per driver has no bearing on the issue, but deaths per miles driven do. Apparently it's quite possible to calculate: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tran..._United_States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies