Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:18 PM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times

Advertisements

I'll have to say that while I dislike the cutting back of early voting and precincts as well as the restrictions on out of state ID, I didn't have a real issue with generally with Having to show ID to vote. While voter fraud can be argued is in reality very low, I think it's pretty fair to argue that people who want to vote in this day and age not having an ID is pretty low too.

But, they really sunk themselves with this one GOP precinct chair who testified in the General Assembly and later went on the Daily Show and did everything but the N word when talking about this and who it would affect. Kind of does show some potential motives. Check the footnotes on page 47! Why no one told this dude to put a sock in it I'll never know.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/7-29-...P%20v%20NC.pdf

Old 07-29-2016, 01:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,588,283 times
Woohoo!

For those who don't get the big deal...many minorities and poor don't have a driver's license or other photo id. If someone doesn't drive or travel and doesn't have a mortgage they may not have had a need to get one. Also getting to a place to get one made can prove problematic for some folks, especially those without reliable transportation or money for bus fare or the money it takes to get an id card made. Yes, those people exist. No, they shouldn't be stripped from their right to vote as a result. If we force everyone to show ID then we would effectively eliminate this portion of our population from voting. I think it's worth the risk of 4 cases of fraud if it means voting rights for thousands.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times
Hooray! Some common sense happening out there. Maybe we can vote out these buffoons out of NC govt in November.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:47 PM

605 posts, read 805,705 times
The best news I've heard in a long time. Democracy only works when ALL can participate, GOP.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:10 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,417,597 times
you had to have an ID to get into the Democrat convention this week. you have to have an photo id to do a lot of thing in this country.

these judges did not prove racist intent. they just assumed it based on their own partisan politics. their ruling is a baseless smear.

if you think that black people are not capable of obtaining a photo id, don't you look down on black people? it is not hard to get a photo id. you have to get a license to drive so most people already have a photo id.

how do you prevent voter fraud without photo id.

the judge distorts history of the south. the Jim Crow laws, racist policies in the past were supported by the Democrat party, not the Republican party.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:30 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,181,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Woohoo!

For those who don't get the big deal...many minorities and poor don't have a driver's license or other photo id. If someone doesn't drive or travel and doesn't have a mortgage they may not have had a need to get one. Also getting to a place to get one made can prove problematic for some folks, especially those without reliable transportation or money for bus fare or the money it takes to get an id card made. Yes, those people exist. No, they shouldn't be stripped from their right to vote as a result. If we force everyone to show ID then we would effectively eliminate this portion of our population from voting. I think it's worth the risk of 4 cases of fraud if it means voting rights for thousands.
4 cases of voter fraud? Really? I don't think anyone knows the actual amount but it is much higher than that!
Now in terms of ID, I suppose if you are actually homeless, there may not be a need for one. However, almost everyone else does indeed need ID just to conduct their daily lives. Think about it: How do you pick up a perscription, apply for welfare or other services, apply for a job or unemployment benefits, purchase alcohol, cash a check, etc. without ID? In reality, I suspect the actual number of people without one is quite low.

One should also be aware that there is a no fee ID available in this state.

Now understand I am for providing assistance for anyone who needs an ID. I think it is very important.... not only for voting.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:32 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,391,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
you had to have an ID to get into the Democrat convention this week. you have to have an photo id to do a lot of thing in this country.
Getting into the democratic convention isn't a constitutionally protected right.

Quote:
how do you prevent voter fraud without photo id.
What voter fraud? It doesn't exist.

Quote:
the judge distorts history of the south. the Jim Crow laws, racist policies in the past were supported by the Democrat party, not the Republican party.
This isn't the past, its the present.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:33 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,391,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
4 cases of voter fraud? Really? I don't think anyone knows the actual amount but it is much higher than that!
Now in terms of ID, I suppose if you are actually homeless, there may not be a need for one. However, almost everyone else does indeed need ID just to conduct their daily lives. Think about it: How do you pick up a perscription, apply for welfare or other services, apply for a job or unemployment benefits, purchase alcohol, cash a check, etc. without ID? In reality, I suspect the actual number of people without one is quite low.

One should also be aware that there is a no fee ID available in this state.

Now understand I am for providing assistance for anyone who needs an ID. I think it is very important.... not only for voting.
Actually its lower. 2 verified cases in NC between 200 and 2014.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:35 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,219,899 times
judges were all democratic appointees. figures. dems are evil - period. wake up people.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:39 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,417,597 times
you are either for photo ID to vote, or you support or don't care about voter fraud. You can't have it both ways.

if a person is able to figure out where to vote and cast a ballot, he or she can figure out how to get a photo id. it is amazing what low expectations a political party has for people while simultaneously falsely accusing the other party (plus many Democrats) of racism. this is treating people like they are braindead zombies or children or senile invalids.

even if there was just 1 case of voter fraud, that justifies having photo id.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies