Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:13 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times

Advertisements

The man liberals love to hate isn't going anywhere. I miss the good old days when you guys would post a I-Hate-Rush post and just vent all your anger and hatred on one man. Now you folks are all about the Trump hate. But rest assured, after the election the big guy will still be here.

iHeartMedia Extends Partnership with Rush Limbaugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 09:28 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Lol, so much for Media Matters musings earlier this year that Limbaughs's radio future looked bleak. They also missed the mark about his ratings, which continue to grow, particularly among the coveted demographics.

It's another long-term contract, too (his last one spanned 8 years). If he's happy, we're happy!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I don't listen to him, but I must admit that I do receive a small amount of delight that he gets under the skin of so many liberals.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:41 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't listen to him, but I must admit that I do receive a small amount of delight that he gets under the skin of so many liberals.
It's fun, isn't it?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:55 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Same here, I've tried and I can't really stand his style or his voice but there's a little part of me that smiles every time I hear him on the radio right before I change the station.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:05 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Congrats to him.

Whether you like him or not, he is good at what he does in expressing his viewpoints that entertain so many people.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:34 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
He is super entertaining at times. I started listening to him while Bill Clinton was running and Rush was predicting the economy would go down the tubes under Bill. He was wrong of course. Over the last 8 years as the Dems have gone full Left he has been right and accurate at every corner.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:41 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The man liberals love to hate isn't going anywhere. I miss the good old days when you guys would post a I-Hate-Rush post and just vent all your anger and hatred on one man. Now you folks are all about the Trump hate. But rest assured, after the election the big guy will still be here.

iHeartMedia Extends Partnership with Rush Limbaugh

People still listens to Rush Limbaugh?

Why?

Old 08-02-2016, 12:03 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,733,906 times
I've been an avid ignorer of Rush since day one. I see no reason to break that trend now.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol, so much for Media Matters musings earlier this year that Limbaughs's radio future looked bleak. They also missed the mark about his ratings, which continue to grow, particularly among the coveted demographics.

It's another long-term contract, too (his last one spanned 8 years). If he's happy, we're happy!
The 'coveted demographics'? That's a hoot.

iHeart is hemorrhaging money. The corporation is huge, for sure, but it has already sold off some of its plum assets, mostly their largest radio stations, and they're having real trouble selling all the small market stations that comprise most of their portfolio.

Premiere Broadcasting, a division of iHeart, isn't making a profit either, but it is one of the very few assets iHeart has to sell programming independently of their station ownership.

There are still a lot of independently owned radio stations, and many more small corporately owned stations; the corporations typically own around 10 or less little mom & pops, each serving small communities, and often the only station

In town. Individually, few of these stations is very profitable, but when combined, the listenership is enough for the corporation to attract some of the big national advertisers who still spend heavily on radio ads.

Since all radio is cheaper than TV, radio also catches all the companies that are like the late-night ads we see on TV, except smaller. The Miracle Cure, Get Rich Quick, and the Kitchen Gizmo bunch. Too poor for Primetime on TV, but wealthy enough for Drivetime radio.

Live programming costs more money than a taped service, no matter what the programming is. So keeping nationally known talent like Limbaugh is more urgent for iHeart than ever. They're going to go under eventually, but they want the best deal on their small stations as they can get when they do.

Those small towns are all growing old as the kids move away for greater opportunity elsewhere. Lots of them are shrinking as fast as iHeart's finances.

The most desirable radio demographic on radio has always been young women, age 15 to 35. They have always bought the most stuff that is advertised on radio, but now, with the prevalence of cell phones, they are also the first to abandon listening to radio, and the advertisers go where they go.

The internet ads are even cheaper than the radio ads. The same money radio costs can be shotgunned all over the hot spots on the internet, and as they change, the ads can go with the new hot spots instantly.

Rush's audience is elderly white men. The guys who live in the small towns who don't use the internet. Some don't even get cable TV. They are the ones who have been listening to Limbaugh for decades, and now, they are retired or close to it. Most are (or were) blue collar workers.

This demographic buys the least amount of advertised goods of all, and has always been at the bottom of the demographic pile.

iHeart, Premiere, and Limbaugh all know this very well. Rush's massive contract that was written 2 years ago was thought to be capable in late 2012 to be able to plug the hole in the ****, along with Hannity, their 2 biggest attractions, but both have failed, and Sean Hannity didn't cost nearly as much as Limbaugh.

Limbaugh is so deaf now that he can't hear anything without his implants, and he can't hear the live call-ins, which were always the backbone of his career. So nowadays, everything he says is a long string of whatever comes into his mind, and he never knows if anything is landing like intended. So he rambles and rambles, hoping to say something that has the impact it once did.

Even his long time followers are giving him up now. He's become the preacher to speaks too long and loses his followers.

You can take it to the bank this contract is both far less money and for a shorter term.
EIB, Rush's little mini-network, is a one-man show, and Rush cant pitch his show to a station owner he can't hear, so he has to depend on Premiere.

They're both stuck on the same sinking ship, and all the lifeboats left years ago.

Nobody in the radio biz expects either to go under quickly, but the ship they're on is like the Titanic. It's going under slowly, but nothing can save it now. Don't expect your favorite Rush station to be around when it does.

The frequencies they broadcast on are now more valuable for use on 2-way radios than they are as radio stations. So the Rush show and everything else will go to ambulance services, city and county law enforcement, civic emergency outfits, and all the other places where 2-way communication is critical and is currently way over-crowded.

That's why all the television stations went digital. That opened up a lot of sideband frequencies, but not enough to meet the growing need on that part of the broadcast spectrum. Radio is the only place left that's now taking too much of that band up. Sooner or later, any radio station that exists will be going digital, and going to the sidebands that are just lower than TV frequencies.

And AM radio broadcast will be gone forever. It's all going to happen in the next half-decade or sooner, depending on how fast some of our big cities continue to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies