Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:27 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,780,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Looking at this in isolation it looks bad and is an out for the real cause.

Wealth inequity per person Vs. per household.

We switched from single income households to dual income household during that time frame as well. So a single parent family would be at a stronger disadvantage now than in the past.
This is true. There are very few poor families with two full time jobs.

The biggest difference between lower income and middle income families is the number of hours they work per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And replace it with what?
Charity.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,308,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Charity.
Do you think it would suffice? Not being sarcastic. It's a legitimate question. Would people willingly provide the means?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:45 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,803,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
There are solutions.

They involve reducing the role of money in our society's formation,
especially in the reduction of passive income.
Except that people form societies to protect their money. And lives.
Passive income like welfare, SSI? Those are as passive as it gets.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Do you think it would suffice? Not being sarcastic. It's a legitimate question. Would people willingly provide the means?
I think they would with some additional incentives and leadership. Americans already give $358 billion to charity. If their taxes were reduced they would give more.

And then you have to assume some significant percent does not need to be replaced due to fraud, waste and healthy people refusing to look for work. I really don't think Americans would let people truly in need starve.

I believe you get efficiency the closer the giver is to the recipient. The most efficient charity is when I help my neighbor. The least efficient is when the federal government takes money from hard working people, spreads it over 80 programs, adds layers of workers and then gives what's left to somebody who did not earn it.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,817,550 times
Income inequality is necessary for society to function. Redistributing the wealth so that everyone has the same income does not work, as we have seen from the hundred to two hundred million murdered by centrally planned economies in the 20th century, the tens of thousands that had to resort to cannibalism under such regimes, and the quality of life of billions that were negatively impacted by expropriation of their private property and fruits of their labor.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,391,284 times
Quote:
Charity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ni_coefficient

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mployment_rate

How about increasing bottom end wages to reduce the Gini coefficient and make the bottom end more self sustaining.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,308,825 times
Quote:
I think they would with some additional incentives and leadership. Americans already give $358 billion to charity. If their taxes were reduced they would give more.
I believe our current costs are close to a trillion (state and federal). Now I will agree that a lot of that goes to waste but an awful lot of that 358 billion goes to other countries also. Are you going to tell people that they can not contribute say to Samaritans Purse because they feed people in other countries?

Quote:
And then you have to assume some significant percent does not need to be replaced due to fraud, waste and healthy people refusing to look for work. I really don't think Americans would let people truly in need starve.
If every healthy person wanted to work there is no where near enough jobs for them to do that.

Quote:
I believe you get efficiency the closer the giver is to the recipient. The most efficient charity is when I help my neighbor. The least efficient is when the federal government takes money from hard working people, spreads it over 80 programs, adds layers of workers and then gives what's left to somebody who did not earn it.
I won't disagree and I agree that the government is incredibly wasteful. People are also judgemental and bigoted also.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
How about increasing bottom end wages to reduce the Gini coefficient and make the bottom end more self sustaining.
I totally agree. Get the government out of the way so we can have free trade and increase everyone's standard of living.

I really don't care about income inequality. I DO care about improving the standard of living for poor people.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
If every healthy person wanted to work there is no where near enough jobs for them to do that..
That may be true if you just pulled the plug overnight. But if changes were phased in over a few years, there would be plenty of jobs and GDP would gradually accelerate to a much higher level than we are currently experiencing. More people working would demand more products and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies