Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm 55 years old and now have maternity care. My kids are grown why should I pay for kids dental care in my "inflated" health insurance policy. Oh that's right, I'm paying for people in your neighborhood.
Age is a huge factor in determining healthcare premiums. That you are 55 it is reasonable to assume you will not need maternity benefits. You are however far more likely to get a diagnosis of a serious health condition that will require treatment than a 25 year old. That's why the premium for a 55 year old is substantially higher than for a 25 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? Many landlords REQUIRE their tenants to carry renters insurance.
Some do.

Those that live in areas with more fires and break ins pay a higher premium than those in low crime/ fires areas.

Imagine those living in that part of Mikwaukee that is experiencing riots, fire and looting who attempt to buy renter's insurance in the near future will be paying a higher premium than those living in say, nearby White Fish Bay.

They are also more likely to be challenged to fill their tanks, buy groceries or get a prescription filled given the fires and looting.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I know someone who is a dentist and owns his own business and Obamacare makes him buy dental insurance even though he can do all his own work on his kids.
Dental insurance is not a required benefit of the ACA.

Plans that include insuring children's healthcare risks must offer dental insurance, but the federal law does not require you to buy it.

Dental Insurance

The ACA mandates Essential Services. States are free to impose their own mandates on top of this and many do. No two states have the same mandate. Differences include but are not limited to the maximum age of aduktery children, in vs outpatient surgery and especially which medications must be covered.

Guess it's possible that one or more states mandate dental insurance.

It's also possible the plan this dentist wanted includes debt all coverage.

Again, they is no federal mandate to buy dental insurance.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the only persons who will be affected by it are the ones who didn't riot. I bet the ones who rioted most likely are young men with no jobs, can't get public assistance except through their mother or girlfriend, no car, some might have criminal records already. Men with nothing to lose. The ones with something to lose were likely not out there. That won't stop more riots from happening in the future, and it will drive away the people who work for their money.

I can tell you this. If some politician puts a riot tax on me, and I didn't do anything, I'm filing a lawsuit, and you can bet come the next election, that politician will be voted out of office.
There's a reason why Milwaukee imposed a 10:00 PM curfew on youth under the age of 18.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
It happens because someone moves into an area they can afford to live.

Affluence moving into an area is a great chance for the poor to profit and climb the economic ladder from poor to middle class and the middle class to affluent.
I don't know about that.

Most poor people do not own their homes. It's the owners who have an opportunity to cash in or hold for the longer term.

Supply and demand determine rents. The poor generally cannot afford to pay more and usually relocate to a cheaper area.

Gentrification typically brings in retail, Starbucks, Trader Joes etc, restaurants and bars, that tend to offer part time jobs to accommodate the cycle of business and avoid OT to qualified applicants. Attitude and communication skills matter.

Those living within the echo chambers of a poor neighborhood are more likely to resent gentrification and this can impact attitude and communication styles, not the perky " Goody Morning, how may I serve you" attitude Starbucks seeks of the 5:00 AM opening shift.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Insurance is like gambling, you are betting the insurance company will have to pay and the insurance company is betting they won't. When conditions create an environment where it is more likely the insurance company will pay then your premium necessarily rises. For example if you have a wood stove you may have to pay more for fire insurance, some insurance companies may even decline to cover you at all. As another example if you are an OB doctor you will pay much more for malpractice insurance. These are things that raise the risk to insurance companies so they need to collect more to make their bet profitable.

If you live in an area with high accident rates, high rates of claims and/or high rates of uninsured motorists the risk to the insurance company rises, consequently so does your premium.

Ah, but what if I disagree with an insurer's quantification of my risk? There doesn't seem to be much recourse (don't pay for REQUIRED insurance is not a feasible option) They have the resources to spin the numbers the way they want, I might have a better risk algorithm but am powerless when I don't have access to the same numbers they use.

If the behavior of OTHERS inflates my insurance premiumns, why don't I have an actionable claim against the malfeasors?

Old 08-16-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
They have had the chance to become the ones that prosper, but they choose the easy way out. Often times these places have real estate at stupid cheap prices for years.

Around me people could have bought a house in the bad part of Oakland for 60-80k in 2012. Just about any full time job would allow you to qualify for a loan that low. Now they are selling for 350k. Purchasing property means investing in your community. Some would rather be a passenger than the driver, which is fine, but don't come to me complaining when you have never tried to take the reins of where your life is going.

Being a renter doesn't garuntee you the perks of fixed payments of being a home owner. You can have it both ways, you either get fixed payments and have to fix everything yourself and often pay more per month or you get a lower payment also th no worry about upkeep and deal with a changing market.
Come on now.

Poverty tends to be generational.

Poor people tend to have less formal education and fewer marketable skills than the non- poor.
Poor people tend to have more children than the non -poor.
Poor people tend to have lower credit scores than the non- poor.
Poor people tend to have lower expectations of themselves.
Poor people tend to be employed in low paying part time jobs.
There is a tendency for many people to blame instead of taking responsibility for themselves.
There is a tendency for many people to live beyond their means which is not particularity conducive to saving for a down payment.

The 15 or 30 year fixed rate mortgage is a terrific incentive to buy instead of rent, especially at current rates. But as you know, principal and interest is only a part of home ownership. Property taxes, insurance and utilities are a variable. Sooner or later everything wears out and must be repaired and replaced.

Most areas of the US have not experienced the appreciation being experienced in your neck of the woods.

I have no issue with gentrification. I do however have empathy for those displaced by it. It sucks to be poor.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't know about that.

Most poor people do not own their homes. It's the owners who have an opportunity to cash in or hold for the longer term.

Supply and demand determine rents. The poor generally cannot afford to pay more and usually relocate to a cheaper area.

Gentrification typically brings in retail, Starbucks, Trader Joes etc, restaurants and bars, that tend to offer part time jobs to accommodate the cycle of business and avoid OT to qualified applicants. Attitude and communication skills matter.

Those living within the echo chambers of a poor neighborhood are more likely to resent gentrification and this can impact attitude and communication styles, not the perky " Goody Morning, how may I serve you" attitude Starbucks seeks of the 5:00 AM opening shift.

FWIW, as a low-income renter always at risk of gentrification and displacement, I consider myself a negative stakeholder in my neighborhood; i.e. what's good for the neighborhood is generally bad for me.

As I've been saying for years, what use is expending time and effort to improve your neighborhood if you are priced out in the process and therefore never experience the payoff for your efforts?

Old 08-16-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some do.

Those that live in areas with more fires and break ins pay a higher premium than those in low crime/ fires areas.

Imagine those living in that part of Mikwaukee that is experiencing riots, fire and looting who attempt to buy renter's insurance in the near future will be paying a higher premium than those living in say, nearby White Fish Bay.

They are also more likely to be challenged to fill their tanks, buy groceries or get a prescription filled given the fires and looting.

In a way, their chickens have come home to roost; I look at it broadly as a Don't Snitch tax; and I can't feel sorry for the perps if their insurance is too damn high.

As an educated and crime-free poor person, I'm always interested in finding ways to distinguish the good apples from the bad apples.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Seems like a simple enough thing, right? Shouldn't law enforcement be intervening to stop the melee and arrest those doing it? Or maybe they do that if there's only ONE person creating havoc.

What's going to happen when they do "take it to the suburbs" as was suggested by one of the riot...attendees?

Just a little something to think about.
Dependent on source, there were 100-200 mostly teens , rioting.

Thinking the objective of the police is to contain and avoid making a bad situation worse.

There is a 10:00 PM curfew for those under 18.

The National Guard is on stand- bye.

Not likely 100-200 teens are going to hijack cars and head to White Fish, West Bend or Fox Point to riot.

Seems to me rioters and LE understand the rules of engagement and respect boundaries in the midst of chaos

Where are the wolves who raised these kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies