Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:05 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I
"Will somebody please think of the salmon?"
I do when it goes on the grill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 03:17 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Believe me, I've researched a lot about Chernobyl, I know the devastating effects they are still feeling.

Burg=City, or town. I would think someone with a name like Cat Friend auf Deutsch would understand.

Even though power is for profit, I couldn't open up a nuclear power plant and just start selling. There are numerous gov't standards that must first be met.

The terrorist could drop a dirty bomb in the NYC subway system tomorrow and wipe out half of Manhattan. We can't live in a hypothetical world. Besides that we pay terrorist billions of dollars a year in oil revenue, so then should we stop driving?
In your first post you claimed less than 60 people died, so which is it?

As long as nuclear power is run by private companies and as long as there is no final safe storage solution, I am opposed to it.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
I believe Einstein said it best:
Quote:
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
and
Quote:
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise
Quote:
Right now, one of the biggest problems we face is clean renewable energy.
I don't think that the energy shortage is what ails humanity the most.
As long as man wages war, nuclear energy will not help us.
Lets for the sake of argument suppose that we have invented the technology of converting solar energy directly into electricity for nearly free, this will create more problems than that it will solve. The problem of overpopulation and clean energy only spells doom and not utopia.
Even after 20+ centuries modern man still doesn't know how to share.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
In your first post you claimed less than 60 people died, so which is it?

As long as nuclear power is run by private companies and as long as there is no final safe storage solution, I am opposed to it.
OK fair enough, only 56 people died as a direct result, and numorous more have been effected, which was not factored into the stats in the article I am sourcing. The point is, Chernobyl was ran by incompetant Soviet scientists that cut corners literally every where, and didn't head the warning signs of eminant disaster. This is not Soviet Russia. There are standards in place, a Chernobyl-like incident would never happen in under watch of the US government.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
"numerous" and what number might that be? 1000, 10.000. 100.000 ???
And I don't believe something like Chernobyl couldn't also happen here. Guess I don't have as much trust in greedy and incompetent people as you.

Serious Safety and Security Risks Undercut Nuclear Power's Role in Minimizing Global Warming, New Report Finds

Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
It's too late for nuclear power in the US to solve much of anything. We couldn't build enough reactors to meet demand and avert global warming. Conservation measures are also needed or nobody is ever going to feel the pinch/costs of their inactions.

In the long term solar, wind, and geothermal are the way to go. But that will require much lower human populations until the efficiency of solar power can substantially increase.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post

In the long term solar, wind, and geothermal are the way to go. But that will require much lower human populations until the efficiency of solar power can substantially increase.
Uh yeah, that's the catch, I doubt if 3 billion people are willing to go jump off a cliff for the good of solar power.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
Quote:
There are many places in the United State west that have no one living around for at least 200 miles. So no, they won't start burying waste under your burg.
I really hope you're joking.

How long have you been in Idaho? Remember the whole Yucca Mountain issue about 10-15 years ago?

Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I really hope you're joking.

How long have you been in Idaho? Remember the whole Yucca Mountain issue about 10-15 years ago?
Nowadays waste is crystalized and buried with little effect, I remember the bumper stickers "Not in our Backyard". I was actually only 4 15 years ago though, so I don't remember the details, just some left over debate. Nuclear waste management is not the big deal it is made out to be. Much less is actually produced than is thought. Most fears are unfounded. Not to mention it is a great way to depleat our nuclear arsenal.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
"numerous" and what number might that be? 1000, 10.000. 100.000 ???
And I don't believe something like Chernobyl couldn't also happen here. Guess I don't have as much trust in greedy and incompetent people as you.

Serious Safety and Security Risks Undercut Nuclear Power's Role in Minimizing Global Warming, New Report Finds
Are you at all worried about the masses of weapons spread out throughout the country? They could potentially detanate. Hope you don't live in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies