Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 10:33 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You need ID to do virtually anything in 21st century society. Liberals seem to think that minorities and the poor are too stupid to figure out how to do it once every several years. It's amazing they keep voting for Democrats the way the dems keep telling them how stupid, incompetent and helpless they are.
Agree! If the liberals were truly on the side of these minorities, poor and elderly undocumented people... they should instead be working hard to get them government issued photo ID cards so that they can fully be a part of a civilized society. And there is no downside to possessing a government issued photo ID card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 10:35 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
ID for free? Where?
Every State I've been in..and I've been in most....require some fee for official State ID.
You DON'T get out much do you?

Old 09-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I see it as purely an economic issue. ID isn't really free if you need a $$$ birth certificate to get it. Cost me a total of $63 to renew my ID and it was a year before I could afford that.
Look where you live. No wonder!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Depends on the definition of "can prove who they are". I carried an expired photo ID for a year when I couldn't afford to renew it. That expired ID is NOT valid for voting, but does anyone seriously believe it did not prove who I am? Does anyone believe my expired ID is fraudulent?
Most say "A VALID ID"

An expired Id is NOT a VALID ID.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I've never seen that in any state in which I have lived.
And how MANY is that and how LONG ago?

Old 09-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You can walk to a polling station if you choose, costs you zero dollars.

There are tons of articles out there outlining how it can be costly and difficult for the poor and the elderly to obtain state IDs. Google it, I'm not going to rehash it yet again because you're too lazy to investigate.

Regardless, this is a solution looking for a problem since there are no appreciable cases of voter fraud on the books.
"There are tons of articles out there outlining how it can be costly and difficult for the poor and the elderly to obtain state IDs. Google it,"

NO, YOU back up your claim.

I'd be willing to bet those "articles" are ALL from liberal sites and authors.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
With 1 billion votes cast since the year 2000 only 31 credible reports of voter impersonation have been found. Those with measurable IQs know what this is about.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-ballots-cast/
MOST laws are passed to PREVENT things from happening.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The key point you missed was the changes when the Supreme Court struck down section 5 of the Voting Rights Act (VRA) in 2013 requiring preclearance prior of changes made by states, not complete uniform but an independent 3rd party monitoring these laws. The VRA was again approved for another 25 years by congress in 2006 (passed by a vote of 390 to 33), but this challenge put an end to section5. The claim was that the VRA is a unique federal intrusion on state sovereignty and a badge of shame for the affected jurisdictions that is no longer justified.

States like Texas, NC and many southern states began immediately instituting changes to early voting, requiring voter ID's, Gerrymandering, that would have never passed if the VRA was still in place. So now we have a legal mess as all these states pass their own laws.
Being you singled out Texas and NC I bet you think ONLY repubs gerrymandered.

The DEMS controlled NC for 1000 YEARS and gerrymandered the hell out of it.

I lived in MD. a dem run state for decades. If you want to see the most ridiculous districts, go to their voting district map.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
As you cannot, by definition, know the number of those who "got away", Any number proposed is just fantasy-might be 0, for all you know.

Failed post
And the dem mantra is, "If it only saves ONE life, it is worth it.

The SAME applies to fraud voting.

If only stops ONE fraud vote, it is worth it.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:59 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"There are tons of articles out there outlining how it can be costly and difficult for the poor and the elderly to obtain state IDs. Google it,"

NO, YOU back up your claim.

I'd be willing to bet those "articles" are ALL from liberal sites and authors.
The court decision in NC made it clear the intent was blocking certain voter classes tending to be poor and minority. The USSC has declined to interfere with that decision. Thus as a matter of law NC was found to be attempting to discriminate using voter ID.

NV has a perfectly reasonable approach to voter ID. Basically make one in the polling place if the citizen lacks one. That should safisfy all but is never put forward by Republicans as it would not disenfranchise the desired voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies