Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:59 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,181 times

Advertisements

Here’s one promise Obama kept for 8 years: 83,000 coal miners lost their jobs, 400 mines shut down | BizPac Review

All hail our wonderful president! Nothing like putting people out of work!

Old 09-06-2016, 04:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
So.

If I remember right, when the auto manufacturers were on their deathbed, right wingers said "let 'em go. Don't bail 'em out. They'll get bought out by more solvent ownership."

When I said "what about all those jobs," Repubs said "no big deal...they're getting paid too much anyway."

So use the same principle now with the coal miners.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
and see what detroit looks like today...

15 Old Photos Of Detroit And Their Modern Day Equivalent - History Daily

Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So.

If I remember right, when the auto manufacturers were on their deathbed, right wingers said "let 'em go. Don't bail 'em out. They'll get bought out by more solvent ownership."

When I said "what about all those jobs," Repubs said "no big deal...they're getting paid too much anyway."

sigh....It's not the same principle.
Let those companies fail and the profitable parts will be purchased by other companies. That's how it works.
Nothing to do with forcing a business to close because of regulations.

Not a good try even by your low standards.

Remember each side said "our bailouts will work, yours won't". They were both wrong.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:24 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
So.

Not the same thing. Miners don't get "too much".

Or do you think they do??

Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
sigh....It's not the same principle.
Let those companies fail and the profitable parts will be purchased by other companies. That's how it works.
Nothing to do with forcing a business to close because of regulations.

Not a good try even by your low standards.

Remember each side said "our bailouts will work, yours won't". They were both wrong.
Plenty of Auto manufacturers went out of business and no one put them back into solvency by buying them up and reemploying the workers. What guarantee was there that someone was gonna buy up GM or Chrysler? Because Stuart Varney said so?

Nah...they meant "let 'em go out of business and we don't give a damn if they ever open again."

Coal is going downhill. It's an old technology. It's better days are probably long gone in this country.

My low standards? OK...that's a personal shot, but I'll let it ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Not the same thing. Miners don't get "too much".

Or do you think they do??
Auto workers didn't "get too much" either. No one gets too much.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:

Coal is going downhill. It's an old technology. It's better days are probably long gone in this country.
Coal as been going "downhill" for 70 YEARS.

I live in Pennsylvania, one of the foremost coal producing states in the 19th and 20th Centuries. We had the finest hard anthracite coal in eastern PA and the more common bituminous coal in western PA. In fact coal production and usage peaked around World War 1. Steamships ran on coal fuel (remember the Titanic?). Locomotives ran on coal.

Mourning the loss of coal mining is analogous to mourning the loss of typewriter manufacturers, corset makers, tinsmiths, arrowroot farmers.

Of course there will always be a vestige of this obsolete carbon based fuel, but the glory days of King Coal was over before anyone reading this thread was even born.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:02 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Coal jobs are NOT COMING BACK.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Coal jobs are NOT COMING BACK.

True, but Obama expedited this, greatly reducing employment far faster than it would naturally occur.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Coal as been going "downhill" for 70 YEARS.

I live in Pennsylvania, one of the foremost coal producing states in the 19th and 20th Centuries. We had the finest hard anthracite coal in eastern PA and the more common bituminous coal in western PA. In fact coal production and usage peaked around World War 1. Steamships ran on coal fuel (remember the Titanic?). Locomotives ran on coal.

Mourning the loss of coal mining is analogous to mourning the loss of typewriter manufacturers, corset makers, tinsmiths, arrowroot farmers.

Of course there will always be a vestige of this obsolete carbon based fuel, but the glory days of King Coal was over before anyone reading this thread was even born.
I hear that coal production is doing better in the western states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies