Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:28 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
How would you like to pay taxes to be tune of 70% like people did in the 50's when we signed everybody up (NATO, SATO, etc) to "protect"them from communism? I DON'T. Fighting wars takes money. Trump talks a fine fish story but I bet he doesn't pay taxes to support his views.

Also, if you're not willing to send your offspring to war zones to protect the world from itself, then kindly STHU. Few things aggravate me more than chicken hawks.

The Arabs are tribal minded. They're backwards and ignorant. They always will be. They don't like themselves & they don't like each other. LEAVE THEM THE HELL ALONE. Isolate them. They don't need to come here-we don't need to go there.

Small countries send little detachments to put out little fires after we screw things up (like Iraq) and proclaim that we've left. Spain just lost a military member in Iraq.

The world needs to grow the hell up
This is out of left field. I think you need to re-read my post.

I never said what we should be doing, now or in the future. I only stated what we are already doing, and alternative ways to pay for it besides leaving the American taxpayer on the hook. Please tell me how any of your post is relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is out of left field. I think you need to re-read my post.

I never said what we should be doing, now or in the future. I only stated what we are already doing, and alternative ways to pay for it besides leaving the American taxpayer on the hook. Please tell me how any of your post is relevant.
You stated in your post that "the world most certainly depends on our military". DD said it does not and you wanted ideas. There you go

Old 09-10-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You stated in your post that "the world most certainly depends on our military". DD said it does not and you wanted ideas. There you go
I said "right or wrong" as to the world depending on our military for stability. I made no judgements, I was just stating facts. There are certainly countries and provinces that would be taken over and annexed if we withdrew our support. Other countries would be emboldened to go to war much more easily. By definition that makes the world less stable. I'm not saying it is our job to stabilize the world, or whether it is the right thing to do. That is something I often wonder about myself. Also, I wonder about the effect that withdrawal would have on the US dollar as the reserve currency.

But for these reasons, the one thing I AM sure about, is that we are not going to be changing course any time soon. So we may as well look for alternative methods to pay for it.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How did we get into Iraq in the first place? Why?
WMDs? Nope.

We went in and messed up the balance of power there. Was Saddam a good guy? Nope. But we were not invited to demolish the place, nor were we fixing anything. We went because people were screaming for blood after 9-11 and they were picked as the boogieman.
Saddam likely acquired a target on his back when he made it known he was open to settling oil trades in currencies other than the Petrodollar.

Then came 9/11 and the bad intellence about WMD.

It was sold to Congress as a 5 week- no more than 5 month initiative.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I can't really disagree with this. But as I said at least he is trying to come up with ways to monetize the services that we provide to the world, currently on the backs of the American taxpayer. His idea about charging nations for the costs related to defending them is a good starting point. I don't know how we would go about doing this as this is not my expertise. I'm sure the devil is in the details, but if our government could figure out a way, I'd be all for it. One could say that Saudi Arabia is already paying us, but what about Germany, Japan, and all the other countries around the world that rely on us for protection?
What about the toll they pay the US when they settle oil trades with most of the OPEC countries?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Don't you think that his failure to think through these proposals before making them public for the national and international audience might say something about his temperament?
The alternative are his "secret plans".

Old 09-10-2016, 09:12 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Any action in the Middle East need to be paid for and why not the Oil payment for the US. Except for Israel, most of the Middle East is ungrateful to the US.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Obama withdrew on Dubya's preset schedule that was put in place before he ever took office. And right wingers still wanted us to stay. But Iraq refused to sign the Status of Forces agreement that kept US military personnel subject to the UCMJ instead of Sharia law, so we left.

You conveniently forget about that?

Behind the U.S. Withdrawal from Iraq - The Washington Institute for Near East Policy

And if Obama ignored the Bush Admin agreement to withdraw all troops by 12/2011 and continued to occupy Iraq in violation of the agreement.........

The Iraq War cost the US $6 Trillion when interest on debt and VA benefits are factored in. We might be closing in on $13 Trillion in incremental War debt had the US stayed.

Too bad Congress does not have the wood to impose a flat tax on all income to pay as we go. No income? No problem. Your benefits are cut. US people need to feel the pain of war in the wallet.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What about the toll they pay the US when they settle oil trades with most of the OPEC countries?
You could certainly argue the fungibility of it all. And it certainly benefits us in an abstract and less tangible, yet very important way.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:13 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And if Obama ignored the Bush Admin agreement to withdraw all troops by 12/2011 and continued to occupy Iraq in violation of the agreement.........

The Iraq War cost the US $6 Trillion when interest on debt and VA benefits are factored in. We might be closing in on $13 Trillion in incremental War debt had the US stayed.

Too bad Congress does not have the wood to impose a flat tax on all income to pay as we go. No income? No problem. Your benefits are cut. US people need to feel the pain of war in the wallet.
Bush should billed all of the countries concerned since we were helping them.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies