Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:10 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times

Advertisements

Obama has said that racism is in America's DNA. Is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0paUld5eP8A

Old 09-12-2016, 02:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0paUld5eP8A
Would it surprise me if Obama said something to increase racial tensions? No.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:17 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,374,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There is no doubt racism is worse since he's been around.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:26 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,847,004 times
If you read David Hackett Fischer's Albion's Seed you see the slave owners patterned themselves after the paternal yet always controlling aristocrats from the English(British) islands which they wished to emulate. Slave ownership being needed partly to their use as biological machines and also partly to provide proof of their standing in upper levels of society much as their equals in the GB(UK) had tenant farmers tied to the soil generation after generation. There was the concept of condescension and deference between estate owner(country gentleman) and slave (tenant farmer). A grandee condescended to deal with a lower social order on an agreeable basis and they deferred to his decisions. When the South collapsed following the Civil War what was left was the need for those whites to still have that relationship and enforced it with the laws which existed in the 1960s. The issue in a nutshell is one of controlling the life of another in means subtle to overpowering.

The interesting part is the industrialization of the North-East,which destroyed the South ruling system above, also provided a means for their self-made magnates to dominate the lives of their workers by controlling the outside of work aspects of their lives. So you see certain of the Robber Barons greatly involved in shaping the lives of their workers. Ford being I think the most famous. The reasons not being only for efficiency but also to impose moral values on their workers. So you see another approach distinct from the South in which the wealthy control the non-wealthy. These grow outward from industry into business and academia.

Which brings us to today. On a higher level, the same need to control thoughts and actions of others is what permeates those same upper class descendants of the North-East.

What party are they primarily from? I will leave that to you.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:34 PM

45,243 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Obama believes in "divide and conquer" so of course he said that.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:43 PM

309 posts, read 161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Obama believes in "divide and conquer" so of course he said that.
The election of Obama inflamed the deep wrath of all those folks who thought they weren't racists yet at their very core had been taught from birth they were superior to black folks, and with the election of a black man as President, it struck terror and hatred in the hearts of those who had always been in control. Change is so very terrifying to most people.

I dread to this what will erupt when the first woman is elected President.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:12 PM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybear2014 View Post
The election of Obama inflamed the deep wrath of all those folks who thought they weren't racists yet at their very core had been taught from birth they were superior to black folks, and with the election of a black man as President, it struck terror and hatred in the hearts of those who had always been in control. Change is so very terrifying to most people.

I dread to this what will erupt when the first woman is elected President.
Interestingly, I remember reading on a site back before Obama was elected information gleaned from campaign workers who were conducting interviews with southern voters. One woman actually said "I cannot vote for him because it just doesn't seem right, having a black man over me." She said it honestly. I wonder how many others never said it but believed it.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:19 PM

309 posts, read 161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interestingly, I remember reading on a site back before Obama was elected information gleaned from campaign workers who were conducting interviews with southern voters. One woman actually said "I cannot vote for him because it just doesn't seem right, having a black man over me." She said it honestly. I wonder how many others never said it but believed it.
I once knew a woman, as educated woman, who had a toddler. At lunch with tis woman one day she explained to me how important it was to her to teach her toddler that black people were different and he was better. Amazing the secrets in people's hearts, even though under the right circumstances those secrets can come thundering out in rage and hatred.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
What if racism is in our DNA? Do we stop trying to resist what comes natural and just segregate again and pass strict race laws? What are they trying to say?

Old 09-12-2016, 06:26 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
There is no doubt racism is worse since he's been around.

That's right. The racists were kinda mellow for quite awhile. Once we had a black president, they sure came out of the woodwork.

Is racism in America's DNA? We had slaves here for a couple of centuries. That ended 151 years ago. But the after effects still reverberate throughout our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies