Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Impossible. liberals tell me this never happens.

I'm not a liberal, but liberals do say that this sort of fraud happens primarily via absentee ballots. Washingston State is a mail ballot vote state only so they are more apt to have voter fraud.

If you care about voter fraud, you should want reform for absentee ballots or mail in ballots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI to posters, the voter ID would not have made a difference.

I am against voter IDs because they waste time and money. Absentee ballots are the primary sources of voter fraud.

Washington state is one of 3 states that does all their voting by mail or absentee ballots so it is not surprising to me that this fraud occurred.
Isn't the answer to have those absentee and mail ballots verified against an updated voting register that only lists citizens eligible to vote and also require a state ID containing a citizen box checked for in person voting?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,192 times
Quote:

I am against voter IDs because they waste time and money.
All it takes to register online to vote is a valid driver license or state-issued ID card. It seems to me that any non-citizen, or anyone who has lost their privilege to vote, should be noted as such in the state's databases and on the cards themselves. It would be easy to keep them from registering to vote, and a voter ID check would make it clear to the poll workers that the person should not be given a ballot.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:

I am against voter IDs because they waste time and money. Absentee ballots are the primary sources of voter fraud.

Washington state is one of 3 states that does all their voting by mail or absentee ballots so it is not surprising to me that this fraud occurred.
Exactly, I assume he had a drivers license, documented residence, and he attended high school so voter ID's would not have prevented his ability to vote.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Isn't the answer to have those absentee and mail ballots verified against an updated voting register that only lists citizens eligible to vote and also require a state ID containing a citizen box checked for in person voting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
All it takes to register online to vote is a valid driver license or state-issued ID card. It seems to me that any non-citizen, or anyone who has lost their privilege to vote, should be noted as such in the state's databases and on the cards themselves. It would be easy to keep them from registering to vote, and a voter ID check would make it clear to the poll workers that the person should not be given a ballot.
On these, to obtain a DL you have to bring in a birth certificate in WA and be a citizen. So not sure how he even got a ballot.

That is also a reason why I don't agree with voter ID laws since voter registration is already driven by providing some proof of citizenship. Evidently, if he voted in his name via a mail in ballot, the registrar is the one who f-d up on this one and the county of residence or state. People who go to the polls, even before voter ID laws, showed proof of their registration/name on election day and their names are checked off as having voted so you cannot vote more than once. For mail in ballots/absentee they just send a form to your house and you fill it out and mail it back or drop it off at the polling place. Nobody checks to make sure you are who you say you are.

In order to get a ballot mailed to you you have to be registered to vote and to register you have to provide proof of citizenship. Instead of requiring voters to jump through hoops for voting at the polls, the counties/states need to be more actively involved in monitoring voter registration lists and auditing them for accuracy.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:21 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If they won't punish a person for violating our immigration laws, I have zero confidence they will do much to prosecute the ones who would violate our voting laws.

I can hear it now, "Arresting people for voting will scare those who can legally vote but don't understand the issue. It will unfairly target minorities and the elderly."

You know it's true.
Enforcing the law is racist......

Apparently he was also deported multiple times too.
But arresting him for coming back would also be racist, so.....

Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Enforcing the law is racist......

Apparently he was also deported multiple times too.
But arresting him for coming back would also be racist, so.....
Information I've read about him said he was a legal, non-citizen resident.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:27 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
On these, to obtain a DL you have to bring in a birth certificate in WA and be a citizen. So not sure how he even got a ballot.

That is also a reason why I don't agree with voter ID laws since voter registration is already driven by providing some proof of citizenship. Evidently, if he voted in his name via a mail in ballot, the registrar is the one who f-d up on this one and the county of residence or state. People who go to the polls, even before voter ID laws, showed proof of their registration/name on election day and their names are checked off as having voted so you cannot vote more than once. For mail in ballots/absentee they just send a form to your house and you fill it out and mail it back or drop it off at the polling place. Nobody checks to make sure you are who you say you are.

In order to get a ballot mailed to you you have to be registered to vote and to register you have to provide proof of citizenship. Instead of requiring voters to jump through hoops for voting at the polls, the counties/states need to be more actively involved in monitoring voter registration lists and auditing them for accuracy.
There are two things that must be done to secure our elections:

1. We need to have up to date voter eligibility databases.
2. We need to verify the ballot is cast by the person verified to be in that database.

To do this, mail-in and absentee votes should require having a piece of information to be written on the ballot that verifies the identity of the voter such as last four of SS or an ID number. State IDs need to designate whether a person in a citizen. In-person voting requires showing a state ID.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:27 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,192 times
Quote:
On these, to obtain a DL you have to bring in a birth certificate in WA and be a citizen.
I don't believe that's true.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:28 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Exactly, I assume he had a drivers license, documented residence, and he attended high school so voter ID's would not have prevented his ability to vote.
Then we need to look at the requirements for registering to vote and insist registration be done in person in order to verify citizenship.

If we are issuing driver's licenses to illegals, they should not be able to use these to register.

Hell, Facebook is asking to register people now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies