Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 03:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Since Chicago is in neither Mexico, Spain, nor any other Spanish speaking country, not being able to speak Spanish should not disqualify one for a job in Chicago.
You don't think there are jobs in Chicago requiring a person to be bilingual and speak Spanish and English? There are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
They were not always so large.

The expansion of Naperville and population growth has been phenomenal.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:27 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,124,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Ya know the Naperville aurora area has over 500,000 people with all the illegals. That's a pretty large amount of people

Old 10-20-2016, 03:28 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
The really odd thing is that just about anywhere in the world you go most people speak english.

The number one requirement for anyone seeking citizenship should be to speak english at least at at basic level.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:31 PM

And total it's about 75 square miles.

Chicago has about 2.7 million people and is 235 square miles

Old 10-20-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The really odd thing is that just about anywhere in the world you go most people speak english.

The number one requirement for anyone seeking citizenship should be to speak english at least at at basic level.
Could not agree more

Old 10-20-2016, 03:36 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Record 64.7 million non-English speakers in U.S.

Welcome to the new America. Wondering how many of these people are illegals, refugees, or asylum seekers. Probably 30 million.
Don't speak English AT HOME.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ya know the Naperville aurora area has over 500,000 people with all the illegals. That's a pretty large amount of people

I don't know exactly what the numbers are, but my was in response to a post that was completely unnecessary. I'm in my 50's and have lived here my entire life. I'm well aware of the growth in Naperville.

I understand crime has also gone up, too, but perhaps only in the part of Naperville that is closest to Aurora.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:45 PM

My family members settled in the communities filled with people from their own country, but made it a priority to learn English as soon as they got here. I'm not aware of any time in history when you could take the test to become a U.S. citizen without knowing English except in a few cases where the person has had a permanent residency card for 15 years or more, and they would have to be older than 50 to qualify.

As for people complaining in the past about the numbers of immigrants coming into the country and taking jobs, do a search on Operation wet and back, since the system deleted the word, from the mid-1950's - pre-baby boomers being in control and able to vote.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
How do you know that was their intent--an "FU" ???

I see people frequently with car stickers and t-shirts with flags and symbols of other nations--perhaps from where their families were based before emigrating...Union Jacks, Irish pride shamrocks, German and French flags and other symbols. Seems like pretty much the same thing to me, other than those are white/Euro symbols as opposed to brown/Latino.

Do people coming from other countries have to revoke all memory and affection for their nations or cultures of origin?

I believe assimilation is important, and that it typically comes naturally. There is no reason why anyone cannot or should not partake of a new land and new life but still retain pride for their places of birth...regardless of the culture. America: it ain't just Wonder Bread.

Have you ever seen a map of the US prior to the War of 1848?

Can anyone explain why some folks get all bunched up over the fact that when people come here from other countries they don't instantly and automatically transform into characters from the old TV show "Father Knows Best?"
It's only natural that assimilated immigrants want to hold on to pieces their cultural identity - especially when they are surround by a vastly different culture from back home. Heck go to NYC or Chicago and you will see Italians celebrating Italian holidays or flying the flag or Jewish people celebrating religious holidays, poles celebrating, etc. None of this means FU to America.

Not sure why any American should take offense at this. If one just bothered to talk to any of these folks (especially the latinos) you would see they mean no offense by these actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies