Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 04:13 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Don't speak English AT HOME.
I think you'll find it's "dont".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 05:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Opened borders will bring in many more millions in the US and we will feel like a stranger in a different land. English will be a second or third language and schools will be mostly foreign children. Not too far off if Hillary is elected. Miami FL has all signs in spanish. No English signs at all. If you don't speak Spanish you will have a hard time to communicate.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:08 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
^^^^
I have said this once 64.7 million don't speak English AT HOME, 90% of those people speak English at school or work. Half of my classmates don't speak English at home but they all speak English at school because it is easier to speak the first language you or your parents learned. Their Parents speak English with a mild accent.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:15 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Opened borders will bring in many more millions in the US and we will feel like a stranger in a different land. English will be a second or third language and schools will be mostly foreign children. Not too far off if Hillary is elected. Miami FL has all signs in spanish. No English signs at all. If you don't speak Spanish you will have a hard time to communicate.
I know Trump has embraced anti-intellectualism among those on the right, but there is simply no good reason for Americans to not learn several languages. Hell, the founding fathers (the people who conservatives look up to proudly) knew several languages besides English. I'm sure Franklin will look at you in disgust if he knew you choose to remain close-minded and ignorant about the world around you.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:17 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

I don't see how it would be any worse than it is now so this sounds like a scare tactic from the Republicans. Hilary is an American so why would she cause the nation to have more non Americans? How would she live here herself? She would have to have a translator on call to do everything and being president is already a difficult job. I don't see how she'd want to make things harder on herself.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:38 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
This is the most ridiculous and ignorant thread --- with the most obtuse posts -- I've read on C-D in a while. The 60 million figure quoted is people who speak a different mother tongue than English. Most of these folks are bilingual, and all their kids will be bilingual or English-dominant once they enter kindergarten. There will always be a large population here who were born abroad and speak another language. According to the US Census American Community Survey, fully 75% of all these people speak English "well" or "very well."

Old 10-20-2016, 06:42 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't see how it would be any worse than it is now so this sounds like a scare tactic from the Republicans. Hilary is an American so why would she cause the nation to have more non Americans? How would she live here herself? She would have to have a translator on call to do everything and being president is already a difficult job. I don't see how she'd want to make things harder on herself.
Hillary is an elitist. She will live a much different life than the commoners that most of us are. Hillary will always be in the higher eshalon and will not be put in any position that will make her vulnerable to any others speaking a different language.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:45 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
There should be SOMETHING in a country, that binds its people with an overall commonality........in Murrrrca, that SOMETHING does not exist.

Hillary 2016-2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2016, 06:49 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
There should be SOMETHING in a country, that binds its people with an overall commonality........in Murrrrca, that SOMETHING does not exist.

Hillary 2016-2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murrrrca? With her as president bringing in every immigrant and refugee that can crawl, swim and fly here we will have no commonality that binds us. We are losing it already.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:51 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
I was actually complaing about this ealier today. I was trying to help some people on another website and I would say that at least 20-25 percent of the questions being asked by people are completely incomprehensible. I don't know if it is an ESL issue or just illiteracy (see the fake HS graduation rate topic) but either way it's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies