Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 06:54 PM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I know Trump has embraced anti-intellectualism among those on the right, but there is simply no good reason for Americans to not learn several languages. Hell, the founding fathers (the people who conservatives look up to proudly) knew several languages besides English. I'm sure Franklin will look at you in disgust if he knew you choose to remain close-minded and ignorant about the world around you.

Snotty, untruthful remark. Why should Americans have to learn several languages? Aren't immigrants supposed to assimilate to the host country and not the other way around? No, the founding fathers individually did not speak several languages either. There is nothing disgusting about not learning a language you will never use. That's ignorant. If I want to learn about the world around me I'll read a book or travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 06:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The really odd thing is that just about anywhere in the world you go most people speak english.

The number one requirement for anyone seeking citizenship should be to speak english at least at at basic level.
You'll be thrilled to know that basic English is a requirement for citizenship. And has been for decades.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It's only natural that assimilated immigrants want to hold on to pieces their cultural identity - especially when they are surround by a vastly different culture from back home. Heck go to NYC or Chicago and you will see Italians celebrating Italian holidays or flying the flag or Jewish people celebrating religious holidays, poles celebrating, etc. None of this means FU to America.

Not sure why any American should take offense at this. If one just bothered to talk to any of these folks (especially the latinos) you would see they mean no offense by these actions.

Nothing wrong with retaining your native language and culture in your own home but when out in mainstream blend in and assimilate rather than standing out and being rude. Nothing wrong with celebrating ethnic holidays or ethnic business establishments either.

Especially Latinos? Why would that be? Yes, some them do mean to be offensive. I know they have admitted it from time to time.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Opened borders will bring in many more millions in the US and we will feel like a stranger in a different land. English will be a second or third language and schools will be mostly foreign children. Not too far off if Hillary is elected. Miami FL has all signs in spanish. No English signs at all. If you don't speak Spanish you will have a hard time to communicate.

Exactly!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:04 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Hillary is an elitist. She will live a much different life than the commoners that most of us are. Hillary will always be in the higher eshalon and will not be put in any position that will make her vulnerable to any others speaking a different language.

She will? How is that? She has a special portal that can put her into an alternate dimension of America?

I always thought I was an imaginative person but wow at least I am able to assess the difference between fantasy and reality.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I know Trump has embraced anti-intellectualism among those on the right, but there is simply no good reason for Americans to not learn several languages. Hell, the founding fathers (the people who conservatives look up to proudly) knew several languages besides English. I'm sure Franklin will look at you in disgust if he knew you choose to remain close-minded and ignorant about the world around you.
Yet the founders spoke English. Plus you'll find back in the day that people of wealth spoke different languages.
And no Franklin wouldn't turn into a drama queen. In fact he spoke out against the Pennsylvania Germans not speaking English.

The universal use of the English language in America was regarded as a practical instrument rather than a symbolic unifier.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
She will? How is that? She has a special portal that can put her into an alternate dimension of America?

I always thought I was an imaginative person but wow at least I am able to assess the difference between fantasy and reality.

She will always live in a gated mansion surrounded by acreage and security. She'll never have to deal with the unwashed masses.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:55 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
She will always live in a gated mansion surrounded by acreage and security. She'll never have to deal with the unwashed masses.
So she'll stay in her mansion for 4 whole years and never go outside? Sooner or later she would have to get cabin fever.
Also what about when she has to make a speech? How is she going to do those if more of America wouldn't understand her? She would have to have a translator there and would definitely have to pay them.

All wealthy people have to deal with the general public sooner or later. No one is going to pay them to sit at home so unless she has other business ventures like Trump did (and even Trump has lost money for his financial mistakes) she's not going to thrive this way.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 PM

1,008 posts, read 488,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Record 64.7 million non-English speakers in U.S.

Welcome to the new America. Wondering how many of these people are illegals, refugees, or asylum seekers. Probably 30 million.
"In 2015 a record 64.7 million U.S. residents spoke a foreign language at home" doesn't mean they don't speak English. Just they don't use it at home. Common with 1st generation immigrants; my great grandfather never really managed to learn English either, but his kids did.

Nothing new here.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
So she'll stay in her mansion for 4 whole years and never go outside? Sooner or later she would have to get cabin fever.
Also what about when she has to make a speech? How is she going to do those if more of America wouldn't understand her? She would have to have a translator there and would definitely have to pay them.

All wealthy people have to deal with the general public sooner or later. No one is going to pay them to sit at home so unless she has other business ventures like Trump did (and even Trump has lost money for his financial mistakes) she's not going to thrive this way.
Are you pretending you don't understand any of this, that you're talking about four years of never going outside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies