Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones tried to popularize men's make-up back in the early-mid 1970s. It did not take.
I think you have the Stones confused with KISS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 10:02 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
The actor, Gary Sinise, wore eye makeup in one of his movies, something to do with a mission to Mars, I think.

I thought it was sexy!

Old 10-20-2016, 10:06 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Left wants to erase genders and make it fluid.
Miley Cyrus is more than happy to be a puppet for the left insanity!

Old 10-20-2016, 10:09 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I think you have the Stones confused with KISS.
LOTS of male rockers wore makeup in the 70s and 80s, even very heavy makeup. There was the 70s David Bowie androgyny and the 80s hair bands, but it was all theatrical. Regular guys wearing makeup in everyday life looks silly.

Men have lost a lot of their masculinity. It used to be rare to see an effeminate guy in places like a hardware store but now it is not unusual. The last cashier I used at Home Depot was flouncing as he rang up my drill bits.

I don't mind moderate metro (stylish)men but it is really getting to where you do not know who is gay or not making it hard for a hetro woman looking to meet guys.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:18 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Not surprising. Men today are little wussies. Look at how many are always offended by something and need to go to their safe places.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
LOTS of male rockers wore makeup in the 70s and 80s, even very heavy makeup. There was the 70s David Bowie androgyny and the 80s hair bands, but it was all theatrical. Regular guys wearing makeup in everyday life looks silly.

Men have lost a lot of their masculinity. It used to be rare to see an effeminate guy in places like a hardware store but now it is not unusual. The last cashier I used at Home Depot was flouncing as he rang up my drill bits.

I don't mind moderate metro (stylish)men but it is really getting to where you do not know who is gay or not making it hard for a hetro woman looking to meet guys.
I would expect lots of gay men in hardware stores since they tend to do a lot of home improvements and renovations. In the Houston area, gay men tend to be a large segment of the people who will start buying in up and coming urban areas. They buy homes in rundown neighborhoods with good locations, renovate them and sell them to the DINKs for a nice profit.

Gay men in a hardware store is about as unusual as lesbians in a sporting goods store.

It's also been my personal experience that most gay men are not very effeminate.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:23 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

Get out of the urban areas and look for guys wearing cowboy hats and Wranglers and you'll be pretty safe. (Brokeback Mountain was just a movie!). In an urban area...yeah I can see your point. Let me save you some time-if a "male" has more different colors of hair than a parrot-stay away.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:36 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Your genetic code decides if you are a man. Makeup and Capri pants won't change your genetic code.

Masculinity is another story.

Your genetic code decides if you're a male, not a man. Your intestinal fortitude dictates if you're a man. I suppose that wouldn't rule out a fella in capris and makeup 100% of the time, but it's gonna rule'em out more times than not, I imagine.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:37 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,791,139 times
My dad fits society's definition of "masculinity." He is a Vietnam vet, a hunter, fisherman, cuts wood, carries an ax, can lift heavy things... and if he decided to wear makeup, he'd still be a man. It wouldn't affect a thing about him or his masculinity. In fact, I'd argue that if seeing a man wearing makeup upsets someone, it's because that person has a problem with their own masculinity... not the other way around. People express themselves in ways that might be different from how you or I would do it. But it doesn't make it wrong. Let people do their thing and be okay with it. If it's not hurting anyone else, what's it to anyone else? Ridiculing other people is something most people grow out of in middle school.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:35 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Please tell me its not true. Are we really destroying masculinity in this country all in the name
of gender equality? Who is doing this?

Beauty Companies Capitalizing on Generation Z's Gender Revolution
From the article in that link:

Quote:
56 percent of Generation Z know someone relating to gender-neutral pronouns of "they," "them," or "ze;"

Only 44 percent bought clothes restricted for their gender;

70 percent support gender-neutral bathrooms.
Interesting generational switch, if true, because I know zero persons that call themselves "ze" or "them" or "they." LOL.

But I have no problem per se with younger dudes wearing makeup if that is the trend and if it looks good on them.

Otherwise it would be weird to me due to my own generational upbringing. But no foul no harm.

The way in which I think it can potentially be a negative for the US as a whole (but then maybe that would be a good for the rest of the planet) is if it is part of a broader metro-sexual culture in the US in that would also correspond to an effeminacy in males in which they pride themselves on their beauty, superior culture, superior intelligence and academic learning, whilst refusing to engage in military combat but rather seek "lesser" people hire out out to do their national dirty work of fighting others.

That is what happened to Byzantium, at least that is the impression you get from the impressions Western Crusaders had of them. The Crusaders were largely illiterate and barbaric. Like Hell's Angels motorcycle members with long hair (I must credit another historian for that image and analogy) riding on big Harley hogs.

The men of Byzantium had an exceptionally trained professional military that blended the attributes of Eastern nomadic horsemen (like the Mongols and Scythians) with those of the Western knightly traditions and armor. However, Byzantium reached a cultural point in which these learned and cultured people could no longer get enough men to field its military ranks.

The Crusaders viewed the men of Byzantium, in terms of their dress and mannerisms, as effiminate, womanish. And Byzantium rightly viewed the Crusaders as barbarians (they had no professional military either, just certain men of chivalry dedicate to learning and using the skills of warfare, but they were not organized in a professional manner like the Byzantines or the Turks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies