Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 02:08 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I feel like we've come full circle. The civil rights movement fought for equality and to end segregation.

Now, today, the progressive students on campuses are actually fighting to create minority dorms where people can feel comfortable with others of their own race. In other words; segregation.

It's crazy absurd how this regression is progressing.
Honestly, I think that all these "safe space" stories shown on the news and here on this forum are a minority of college campuses. I have young nephews in college today and they are not advocating for any of this stuff.

Also, I'd tell any of them if they want to go to school with or be taught by a majority black population, they need to go to an HBCU. I did and it was a great experience and I didn't have to deal with any racial issues in school at all. It was like an extended family for me and very supportive.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've never understood the whole "Black Mecca" thing, and I soundly reject it. I wish that more black folks would do the same. Black folks follow each other around too damn much for my taste. I get it on one hand, but on the other hand, folks need to look for a fresh perspective.

In other words, black folks have gotta stop thinking that running to the same old southern cities is the panacea to all their problems.

Some of the best opportunities in this country are in places where black folks DON'T go!! Sure, the weather might be colder, but moving to Houston to sit in some of America's worst traffic everyday doesn't come off to me as a "Mecca."

But that's just me. I swear, if one more kneegrow tells me that he/she is moving to Houston or Charlotte, i'mma scream at the top of my lungs!
I personally prefer Dallas over Houston myself. I don't know a whole lot about Charlotte, NC, but can I ask what it is about Houston and Charlotte that you don't like?

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 05-04-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Ultimately--and I'm talking about 25-50 years from now--the best future of a person who happens to have black skin won't be in any kind of "mecca" of his skin tone.

A multicultural environment is in everyone's future, whether he wants it or not. We Boomers may be able to pretend it's not on the horizon and hope to die before it happens, but Millennial blacks had simply better be prepared for it.
It's predicted that by the year 3000 we will all be the color of a brown paper bag. Of course, we'll be long gone by that point.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
It's predicted that by the year 3000 we will all be the color of a brown paper bag. Of course, we'll be long gone by that point.
You never know. Anything could change at any time.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You never know. Anything could change at any time.
You mean we might not be gone by then? Well, I still exercise daily.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
I personally prefer Dallas over Houston myself. I don't know a whole lot about Charlotte, NC, but can I ask what it is about Houston and Charlotte that you don't like?
I have nothing against those cities even though I'd rather live in hell than live in either one of those places. I just don't like the South, period.

My point was that black folks are always running to the same places over and over again, and have a ridiculous tendency to follow each other instead of looking for other options.

What's wrong with Albuquerque, Tulsa, or Kansas City? Don't run to Raleigh or Charlotte if you just HAVE to go to North Carolina. Try Asheville, which is a beautiful, vibrant, medium sized city with lots of opportunity. Try Knoxville, another beautiful, vibrant city, instead of Nashville or Atlanta.

Black folks keep running to these large cities in the South that have traffic from hell, plenty of crime, and rising real estate prices due to the incessant demand for new housing. Atlanta, Nashville or Houston are FULL!! LMAO...find somewhere else to go. Use the imagination a bit more and find some uncharted territory instead of a path that's been beat to death.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I have nothing against those cities even though I'd rather live in hell than live in either one of those places. Contradiction much? LOL I just don't like the South, period.

My point was that black folks are always running to the same places over and over again, and have a ridiculous tendency to follow each other instead of looking for other options.

What's wrong with Albuquerque, Tulsa, or Kansas City? Don't run to Raleigh or Charlotte if you just HAVE to go to North Carolina. Try Asheville, which is a beautiful, vibrant, medium sized city with lots of opportunity. Try Knoxville, another beautiful, vibrant city, instead of Nashville or Atlanta.

Black folks keep running to these large cities in the South that have traffic from hell, plenty of crime, and rising real estate prices due to the incessant demand for new housing. Atlanta, Nashville or Houston are FULL!! LMAO...find somewhere else to go. Use the imagination a bit more and find some uncharted territory instead of a path that's been beat to death.
I actually like the south, that said, I don't mind a smaller but medium sized metropolitan area. I like diverse cities. I'm not looking for a "black mecca", AT THE SAME TIME, I don't want to go somewhere that's only like 3% black. Not my scene.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Ultimately--and I'm talking about 25-50 years from now--the best future of a person who happens to have black skin won't be in any kind of "mecca" of his skin tone.

A multicultural environment is in everyone's future, whether he wants it or not. We Boomers may be able to pretend it's not on the horizon and hope to die before it happens, but Millennial blacks had simply better be prepared for it.
Absolutely spot on. That really is what the future will look like!!

Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I actually like the south, that said, I don't mind a smaller but medium sized metropolitan area. I like diverse cities. I'm not looking for a "black mecca", AT THE SAME TIME, I don't want to go somewhere that's only like 3% black. Not my scene.
If I were to exclude places that I'd live in based on how many black folks live there, I'd be seriously restricting myself. This whole country belongs to black people too...not just designated areas of the country. ALL OF IT is mine! And I'm not gonna limit myself to where I might go based on how many black folks are already established there.

Now that said, I have no real desire to live where there are few if any black folks around. Like you...not my scene. But 3% is acceptable to me. I mean, we only make up less than 12% of the country. Most of America has few blacks living in it. That's just the reality.

Here in Arizona, our numbers are small, but our footprint is bigger. That's why I'm so happy that I was raised here. It's an amazing place to be black in 2017.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:54 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
I have to agree with desertdetroiter and say that "we" really need to spread out and get away from congregating in mostly large East Coast or Southern cities. It may not be the most PC thing to say but I think that black folks need to spread out more in order to dilute a lot of the ghetto culture out of the black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies