Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times

Advertisements

Hello!

This thread, I wanted to start mainly to get input from other blacks life myself regarding where they stand regarding the racial climate that we are facing right now. Do you feel discriminated against on a regular basis? Do you feel you do relatively well for the most part in life?

I also want to know, how do you as a black person feel about these black conscious movements, SJWs, and black nationalists/separatists movements? How do you feel about the cultural appropriation issue? BLM?

The reason, I'm asking is because it seems like a lot of people are showing their true colors and in response to that, it seems we have many blacks counteracting to the racism being received. I do feel that the issue needs to be discussed but there are so many online black groups and forms that I just don't relate to. As a black person, I find that many of them are only cool with you when you are agreeing with them full stop. The minute you express a thought that deviates from the mindset of that particular form, blogger, or movement, the name calling (i.e. coon, uncle tom, jigaboo, boot licker) starts.

Now my question to other blacks-Where do you fit in at? Do you discuss racial issues with your friends? Are you met with any disagreements? When you find that one disagrees with you, do you educate them? Refer them to Google? Does the conversation go anywhere at all?

Old 10-26-2016, 11:10 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,851 times
In the minds of ignorant hood rats, I would be called a coon. Only because I would tell them that they perpetuate their own poverty, and people like that dont like the suggestion that they shouldnt have kids before marriage. Many black people I talk to think like me. I do think that the BLM movement needs to work to curb the emotional actions and educate the protesters more...at this point, we dont need people shouting for anyone to die, its counterproductive. Its bad enough that we have people like the ones here who deliberately deny certain issues exist, for reasons that are a highly kept secret...or at least I havent seen the reasons exposed yet.

There is also a poster here who grew up in the hood that brought up a point I hadnt heard yet. He said there are people there that are true animals, however they got that way, and they get whats coming to them by another hood rat, or by cops. I dont hang in the hood so I dont get to see this. I do know that many if not all ghettos were fish in barrel for the "war on drugs" and
predatory arrest practices for prison for profit made the ghettos worse. I want to host gatherings in my local ghetto and tell people about this big picture in a way they can understand so they can stop falling for it.

So basically Im in between N.I.M.B.Y. and I dont want anyone needlessly killed.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
It's so funny how so many blacks will use the word "coon" to describe a black who does not think like them or who they think is "white washed". "Coon" is basically their way of saying "sell-out" Do they not know the history of this term and just how derogatory it was towards black Americans as a whole? They are literally using a term that was coined by the very people who they are fighting against! I kind of have a love/hate relationship w/ the BLM movement. I feel the original intent was good, however many of it's supporters have turned the movement into something very ugly.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:10 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Hello!
Do you feel discriminated against on a regular basis?
No. Almost never.

Quote:
Do you feel you do relatively well for the most part in life?
Yes.

Quote:
I also want to know, how do you as a black person feel about these black conscious movements, SJWs, and black nationalists/separatists movements?
They fascinate me. That kind of mentality is something I usually associate with older people that went through trauma growing up during jim crow, my grandparents generation. It amazes me that people younger than me are into those kinds of things. What caused them to lose their mind? What happened to them?

Quote:
How do you feel about the cultural appropriation issue?
Nonsense. Culture doesn't belong to anybody. I once saw a choir of Scandinavian people sing black american gospel music and was glad to see it. I see that as cultural appreciation.

Quote:
BLM?
Huge waste of time. Incidents of police misconduct and/or brutality should be dealt with on a case by case basis. We dont need a movement. The culture of marching and protesting is not productive. People need to get their minds out of the civil rights era.

I also dont believe that black people are behind black lives matter. BLM is manufactured. Who's funding it? Where do they get those podiums from? How does Shaun King pay his bills?

Quote:
Now my question to other blacks-Where do you fit in at? Do you discuss racial issues with your friends? Are you met with any disagreements? When you find that one disagrees with you, do you educate them? Refer them to Google? Does the conversation go anywhere at all?
I dont normally discuss racial issues. It bores me, and its never a productive conversation. We can have opinions about things other than race relations.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:27 PM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times
Quote:
Hello!

This thread, I wanted to start mainly to get input from other blacks life myself regarding where they stand regarding the racial climate that we are facing right now. Do you feel discriminated against on a regular basis? Do you feel you do relatively well for the most part in life?

I also want to know, how do you as a black person feel about these black conscious movements, SJWs, and black nationalists/separatists movements? How do you feel about the cultural appropriation issue? BLM?

The reason, I'm asking is because it seems like a lot of people are showing their true colors and in response to that, it seems we have many blacks counteracting to the racism being received. I do feel that the issue needs to be discussed but there are so many online black groups and forms that I just don't relate to. As a black person, I find that many of them are only cool with you when you are agreeing with them full stop. The minute you express a thought that deviates from the mindset of that particular form, blogger, or movement, the name calling (i.e. coon, uncle tom, jigaboo, boot licker) starts.

@ Blue highlighted (my emphasis) portion:

Yeah, so, realize it is never going to change. A lot of Black-Americans are worse than racist white people in that way. Actually, quite a number of racist white people are not all that bad once you get to know them. Particularly once they come to see you don't fit the stereotype, or typical experience they have had with other black people.

A major problem as I see it is that things are not always so black and white. Political issues, a political worldview tends to push things in a black and white view.

The opposite is that is a moral or religious perspective, in that case no group (all blacks, all cops, all scientists etc.) are placed in total black and white terms. One group totally good, the other group totally bad. A profession or group identification does not render you de facto good or bad either then. So, understand the world and humans in terms of sin you then begin to judge a situation involving individuals in terms of who did right or wrong. So, a cop can unjustly shoot a black man. A black kid can unjustly punch a cop.

The political scope can not tolerate that multi-color lens.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:28 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:

Now my question to other blacks-Where do you fit in at?
I'm a libertarian, so I really don't fit in anywhere. But seriously I can pretty much fit in anywhere honestly. I'm a naturally curious person who makes the best out of his situation and surroundings

Quote:
Do you discuss racial issues with your friends?
Not really, occassionally with my girlfriend, but it's not usually in any depth. she really doesn't care about politics or social issues, so these sort of conversations are usually short.

Quote:
Are you met with any disagreements? When you find that one disagrees with you, do you educate them? Refer them to Google? Does the conversation go anywhere at all?

I discuss racial issues mostly online, and occasionally on facebook. It is very rare for me to discuss it offline because I think of race very differently than most people I know. My overall philsophy is that race is a social construct created by government, and all of the racial inequalities are just divide and conquer tactics. In general I try to see things at the most systematic level, not get so caught up in black or white, because the detail about who is oppressed really don't matter. I try to get into "why" there are injustices, and many people don't like going down this road, even the most racially minded people.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:33 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
@ Blue highlighted (my emphasis) portion:

Yeah, so, realize it is never going to change. A lot of Black-Americans are worse than racist white people in that way. Actually, quite a number of racist white people are not all that bad once you get to know them. Particularly once they come to see you don't fit the stereotype, or typical experience they have had with other black people.
Stopped reading right there.

Quit making excuses & giving racists the benefit of the doubt.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:40 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Stopped reading right there.

Quit making excuses & giving racists the benefit of the doubt.

A lot of people that blacks here deem as racist, aren't really racist. Bigoted no doubt, but not really racist. A lot of racist are usually not against black people, they're against black culture. Notice that many of these same white people usually don't have an issue when they find out the black person is from Africa or somewhere else. There are some hardcore racist out there who just hate anyone or anything that is black, but I've found those people rare. And usually I've found it's not white people who have a seething distain for anything black, it's usually people from Asian or Latin America who are socialized to hate anything with dark skin.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
My overall philsophy is that race is a social construct created by government
This part isn't a philosophy. It's a bonafide fact.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:42 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
Fine line between Bigoted & racist. The ones on here who swear racism doesn't exist do nothing but take swipes at blacks & latinos.

And what "black culture" are you referring to? Do think well before you answer that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies