Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 05:22 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Quit making excuses? It was a conclusion based on personal experience. I concluded as I do now that there are white racist men far better people than many Black-American liberals. I've worked with plenty of white racist men from the Marine Corps to construction. Some of them are Samaritans.

This goes back to the issue of sin. Which all humans are inflicted by to varying degrees. Politics denies this though.

So, hate, is not something limited to and restricted to white racist males and females. When a black member of the Crips tortures a black member of the Bloods prior to putting a bullet through his skull, it usually is driven out of hate, a tribal hatred.

There are plenty of cruel white racist men. And the records of history testify to that. Some white racist people will hate me no matter what.

But I have my own hatred. Plenty of Americans I hate. My enemies are in this nation and not in Mexico, Iran, or Russia. And plenty of those Americans hate me too. It's what keeps America going: hate.

Look, the Americas were built on a racial caste system. That history still effects the present. In the United States over a hundred years of Jim Crow racial segregation agitated that further.

The whole thing is tangled at this point like a complicated web.

Being mulatto, half black, I've come to eventually believe over time after looking at the USA and Brazil, that a racially homogenous society is more preferable.

The more Latinos or Arabs that move to the US the better for me. We look more similar. I look like many Puerto Ricans. And I've got no problem with Mexicans. White people and black people could kill each other in race war though. So, I'm not attached to white racists.

But my main point was that if--judging by human sin--white Americans could admit that a lot of the police shooting of Black-Americans are overboard and some blatantly unjust and unwarranted, likewise if Black-Americans could admit that some black people, by punching armed cops (as in the Michael Brown case), spark their own damn shooting, then maybe the racial tension could cool. Race could be less political and more just a visual descriptive of a people sharing similar physical looking (phenotype) traits. But that's not going to happen. Especially with a two-party system. But at this point I don't think it could happen anyways, either in Brazil, Colombia, Venzuela, or the United States. Too much history of a racial caste system entrenched.

America has a racial hieracrchy, though it's fallacy to call it a caste system. Put generally try to make comparisons between racism and caste, but they're not the same. I did a bit of research on the Indian caste system (it's very confusing) and its something different entirely. Caste is way worse than racism. Actually colorism and caste are far more brutal than racism is.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I used to think that was true, but then look at rap sheets of people like the guys that shot into a crowd and killed that NBA player's cousin. They had rap sheets three feet long, and were out on bond for things like pimping minor girls. What the heck were they doing on the streets? People like that obviously are able to get out of jail with sentences no where near what they should be considering how dangerous they are to society.

The justice system is horrible if you're poor, but that's true for poor people of all colors.

Our justice system doesn't care about locking up actual dangerous criminals. Dangerous criminals get light sentences. While people caught with posession of either a hand gun or narcotics get the book thrown at them. Clearly the entire justice system is a racket, which is why I'm all for privatizing the police force.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:41 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
I've worked with plenty of white racist men from the Marine Corps to construction. Some of them are Samaritans.
I grew up in an upper middle class beach community, and I can HONESTLY say i also grew up with the Marines.

I've been told by many of my personal friends that in the Marine training schools, whites outperform minorities in just about every category. Now, please don't get me wrong. I don't know if the above statement is true or not, but my own brother belonged to an elite unit. He served as a recon Marine. Overwhelming majority of the recon Marines are white.

The corps does not see colors, but green. Dark green Marines, and Light green Marines. I think for the most part, racism is not tolerated in the Corps. When you need your six covered, you don't care what shade is back there.

I went to art school an I am also a trust fund baby. I can't believe all my best friends are combat Marines and I love every second of it. I got friends who grew up in the south with the rebel flag, I also have friends who are Italians from New York city.. My best friend is a Marine from Ohio... I think these are very real people..

There is NO tolerance for racism, or sexual harassment in the Marine Corps, but it is still there. If it exists in a society, it exists in the Marines. That is just the way life is.

I think for the most part, the few and the proud, the Marines chose not to follow a path of hatred. After all, Semper Fidelis distinguishes the Marine Corps bond from any other.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I grew up in an upper middle class beach community, and I can HONESTLY say i also grew up with the Marines.

I've been told by many of my personal friends that in the Marine training schools, whites outperform minorities in just about every category. Now, please don't get me wrong. I don't know if the above statement is true or not, but my own brother belonged to an elite unit. He served as a recon Marine. Overwhelming majority of the recon Marines are white.

The corps does not see colors, but green. Dark green Marines, and Light green Marines. I think for the most part, racism is not tolerated in the Corps. When you need your six covered, you don't care what shade is back there.

I went to art school an I am also a trust fund baby. I can't believe all my best friends are combat Marines and I love every second of it. I got friends who grew up in the south with the rebel flag, I also have friends who are Italians from New York city.. My best friend is a Marine from Ohio... I think these are very real people..

There is NO tolerance for racism, or sexual harassment in the Marine Corps, but it is still there. If it exists in a society, it exists in the Marines. That is just the way life is.

I think for the most part, the few and the proud, the Marines chose not to follow a path of hatred. After all, Semper Fidelis distinguishes the Marine Corps bond from any other.

Between you and ResidingHere2007, I'm actually scared by your blind authoritarianism. Marines are human, and can be racist, sexist and any other "ist" like anyone else. They don't have moral superiority by virtue of passing their basic training.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Between you and ResidingHere2007, I'm actually scared by your blind authoritarianism. Marines are human, and can be racist, sexist and any other "ist" like anyone else. They don't have moral superiority by virtue of passing their basic training.
I don't get it. which part of my post makes you scared by my blind authoritarianism?

Didn't I say?

Didn't I say?

Old 10-26-2016, 06:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
Racism, Sexism, and Classism can be found in any group, social circle or event, however there are certain places and social circles that it is less ACCEPTED.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I don't get it. which part of my post makes you scared by my blind authoritarianism?

Didn't I say?

Didn't I say?

You're making it sound as if marines really can't be racist because they're marines. And you're also making it seem like because PEOPLE in society are racist, then it corrupts there otherwise virtuous marine core. As if they're perfect people with perfect value and morals when not corrupted by "ordinary people".

You took personal offense to the other poster who (who I believe said he was a marine) stating he has met many racist marines. Then you try to personalize the whole thing.

The problem is you refuse to see anything wrong because they are the marine and they're in authority. So you believe that somehow they have transcended issues that "normal people" don't have. You're idolizing them. It's basically worshipping authority.

When you worship authority, it can't do anything wrong. And that's a problem.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
You're making it sound as if marines really can't be racist because they're marines. And you're also making it seem like because PEOPLE in society are racist, then it corrupts there otherwise virtuous marine core. As if they're perfect people with perfect value and morals when not corrupted by "ordinary people".

You took personal offense to the other poster who (who I believe said he was a marine) stating he has met many racist marines. Then you try to personalize the whole thing.

The problem is you refuse to see anything wrong because they are the marine and they're in authority. So you believe that somehow they have transcended issues that "normal people" don't have. You're idolizing them. It's basically worshipping authority.

When you worship authority, it can't do anything wrong. And that's a problem.
wrong wrong wrong, all wrong.

First of all, I did not take personal offense to the other poster at all. He actually said Many so called racists people are not really bad people and I agree with him 100%.

I've never said Marines cannot be racists because they are Marines. I think you read my post wrong.

What I am trying to say is that when they have to have other people to cover their six, they can care less about what colors of the person behind them. Just because they make some"racist" remarks, doesn't mean they are racist. That is all I am saying.

I think the problem with the society is that many people are so eager to give others the "racist" label. If this is the case, soon enough, everybody would be racist. Then the word racism and racist will lose its true meaning.

Growing up, I've heard many racist remarks from the Marines. Do I think they are true racists? no. Most of them are certainly not true racists although they will be labeled as one.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:43 PM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times
Quote:
I've been told by many of my personal friends that in the Marine training schools, whites outperform minorities in just about every category.
You should spend less time talking to racist people. Running is one of the most important abilities, practice, and characteristics of a US Marine. Your personal friends probably tell you too that Black-Americans make up roughly 13 percent of the US population but are virtually unseen in track and field, the NBA, or the NFL. That the United States only sends whites to the Olympics because whites outperform all minorities.

There are "training schools" for most if not all MOS (job speciality basically) fields in the Marine Corps. So, I'm curious as to how whites outperform minorities (Mexicans, Asians, blacks etc.) "in just about every category" in all MOS schools?

Quote:
Now, please don't get me wrong. I don't know if the above statement is true or not...
It's not. Otherwise those whites would be making millions after they exist the Corps to play in the NFL, NBA, and professional boxing. The latter sport at the elite training levels would probably exhaust most Navy SEALs.

Be sure Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pac. in their prime fitness for boxing competition are far and above conditioned superior to almost any infantrymen in the Marines or Army. And their ripped physiques often evidence it. You're talking about atheletes that knock out 1,000 push ups almost non-stop. What the hell does a Army Ranger do non-stop? 50 maybe? Or 100 maybe?

Quote:
...but my own brother belonged to an elite unit. He served as a recon Marine. Overwhelming majority of the recon Marines are white.
Number one, Force Recon (even the much large Battalion Recon) makes up a tiny fraction of the Corps. Even few white Marines can make their ranks.

Number two, as in the Olympic Games their is a difference between track and field running and swimming. There is no mystery as to why few blacks are in the ranks of elite combat units like Force Recon or the Navy SEALs. Most ethnic Black-Americans suck at swimming. Force Recon swims the way the average Marine matches on land with a pack (Recon also pioneered the bubblesless scuba gear, and the existing method from submarines, and helped train SEALs for Vietnam after President Kennedy ordered their formation).

Number three, I will say this, most ethnic Black-Americans don't appreciate or take to the field as well as many (not all) whites. But my own experience was most black Marines I knew or encountered came from urban areas. Some from small rural towns but the vast majority seemed to be from the urban cities. In contrast to whites were a larger percentage of them seemed to come from small towns and rural areas. The woods and rural life seemed to be to their liking, or at least they seemed to psychologically adapt to it better, be more comfortable in it. So, in that way I would say a lot more whites tended to "outperform" black Marines.

But in terms of humping weight, running, marksmanship, I never really saw much of a difference. Some whites were good or not so good and some blacks, Mexicans, Asians were good or not so good. In water most blacks underperformed terribly though. I was one of them. I still can't swim.

Quote:
The corps does not see colors, but green. Dark green Marines, and Light green Marines.
Not true. Just some cliche saying the Corps came up with to try and unify black and white Marine. Keeping in mind the need in large part due to the history of racial segregation in the US (which included the military). The Marine Corps history was not immune to that. Once upon a time black recruits were sent to a different MCRD (bootcamp) then white recruits. It was not until the Vietnam War that the US military really began tackling racial integration.

In terms of the enlisted ranks I would say--based on my experience--institutional racism does not exist much at all in the Marine Corps. Personal racism exists because some people come out of racist homes and communities. But the institution, for enlisted men, does not hinder (through racism) your ability to get promoted. The Marine Corps is superior to the civilian world in that respect.

It might be different for the officer ranks though, I can't speak to that.

Quote:
I think for the most part, racism is not tolerated in the Corps. When you need your six covered, you don't care what shade is back there.
Racism was widely tolerated when I was in. I'm talking personal racism, not institutional racism. Albeit, the institution tolerated the personal racism that went on between troops.

A glaring example were the log books (government property) we used and had to fill out each shift doing security. At my last duty station I'm not sure there was a single time I opened a log book and did not see "Go back to Africa, N------" or pictures depicting black men hanging by nooses written and drawn onto the inside covers of the log books. Unless it was fresh, new log book and white Marines had not gotten to it yet.

But black male Marines rarely complain. A lot less so than black civilian male workers. Still, those that complain the most frequent about being discriminated against from my observation goes in this order: 1) Women. 2) White men. 3) And lastly black men.

It may be black men have no confidence in the system, so, don't bother to complain. I don't know. They tend to complain among themselves or make dismissive remarks about white people to one another.

Quote:
Italians from NYC are just as racist as the white ones down South flying the Confederate Battle Flag. The Italians just aren't hillbilly or sympathizes of the KKK. But they are just as racist nonetheless. The Italians usually make unremarkable Marines too. Far less so than Mexican Marines. The Mexicans make some of the best Marines.

Quote:
No, that would be the French Foreign Legion, by their spoken code they are not to attack the enemy with hatred, and are to show respect to all conquered enemy.

No such code exists in the US Marine Corps, in fact, it is promoted to attack your enemy with extreme prejudice. To produce a war face of psychotic hatred.

The Marine Corps also promotes cockiness and arrogance. In total contradiction the French Foreign Legion promotes humility among their troops.

I do think the US Marine Corps is far less tolerant of racism or excessive expressions of it I should say, than quite a number (minus their most elite) of units in the US Army.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:11 PM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times
Quote:
America has a racial hieracrchy, though it's fallacy to call it a caste system.
Throughout the Americas a racial caste system existed since the whites back in the 14 or 1500s or so began colonizing the place. And that included the United States.

Aside from the Quadroon Balls in New Orleans which provided a greater amount of privilege to light-skinned, mixed-race women over their darker mulatta or especially dark black female peers, there was the practice of manumission in the USA that eventually only really occurred among the mulatto children of slave masters. In the USA that is. Manumission was practiced more widely in Latin America and extended to non-biologically related dark black slaves too.

Lighter skin has historically been more prized in the USA. That was and is not just a Latin American or East Indian thing.

Quote:
Put generally try to make comparisons between racism and caste, but they're not the same. I did a bit of research on the Indian caste system (it's very confusing) and its something different entirely. Caste is way worse than racism. Actually colorism and caste are far more brutal than racism is.
Worse in what way? The brutality of Jim Crow era racism in many of the small towns of the South was nothing short of thuggish and down right evil. Black men older than me in Milwaukee, that were raised in the South, still remember their mothers having to step out into the street to let white women on sidewalks pass by them.

A pass by a young black male at a young white woman could be met latter that night with white men in trucks with shotguns pulling up to his parents house he lived at. Abducted and driven off, possibly never to be seen again. Or with two ropes around neck, held by two men from different sides, with a third aiming a shotgun at his head, then pulling the trigger, blows his head off.

No, the Hindu caste system had its own evil but the Christian racial caste system from Brazil all the way up the USA had its own equal evils.

Colorism is but a byproduct, an effect, of racism. And contrary to what Black-Americans like to think, colorism is not restricted to Latin America but exists in the USA in full effect. Ergo, the beefs between light skinned black women and dark skinned black women in the US, which at times has gone to blows.

Spike Lee captured some of this history of colorism in his classic film School Daze.

The sheer wickedness that went on during the slavery and colonial days still shocks me. You should read the book The Half Has Never Been Told. In the United States black people sometimes ended up marrying their siblings not knowingly, discovering only year's latter after marriage, because so many had their families broken up as siblings and parents and other family were sold away within the US South. And the whipping, with whips that could crack ribs, the physical scarring and torture, to work all day long with your back bent over, from sun up to sun down, at least 6 days a week. If you failed to pick your daily quota weight of cotton you were tied or chained down and whipped bloody.

The Congo run by Catholic Belgians who evidently had zero fear of hell. Cutting people's limbs off. The pagan Hindu weren't that evil. At least the Hindu didn't colonize the Congo and spread their culture of brutality and hate into the native populations culture, which started hacking people's limbs off in the 1990s a part of what they must have learned from the Belgian Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies