Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Fine line between Bigoted & racist. The ones on here who swear racism doesn't exist do nothing but take swipes at blacks & latinos.

And what "black culture" are you referring to? Do think well before you answer that.
Black culture in terms of the media image that is promoted. Such as gangsta rap and ignorance. for the record, I don't this is black culture, but perception is everything. Whether they fairly or unfairly do it, a lot of white people associate the thug and poverty images with black (and to a lesser extent latino) culture in the USA. I think after black people are pretty much shown not to be apart of this, most white people generally leave black people alone, or at least treat that 1 black person just fine.

I think it's a way different ballgame when it comes to Latin and Asian culture. They are taught from birth for probably hundred to thousands of years that anything black is despicable. It's unpure, and nothing you should aspire to be. I've met racist Indians, East Asians, and Latinos before, and they genuinely see blackness as basically subhuman. There really aren't too many white people who think on that level. The only white person who is remotely like that may be Charles Murray. Whenever he speaks, you can tell he's sick to his stomach and disgusted anytime he talks about black people.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:54 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
Never understood the entire "rap culture" argument racists love to use. The largest consumers of rap music are suburban white kids.

They're the ones buying the albums & going to these shows.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:55 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Never understood the entire "rap culture" argument racists love to use. The largest consumers of rap music are suburban white kids.

They're the ones buying the albums & going to these shows.
Again, perception is everything. And the media is very good at creating perception

Old 10-26-2016, 01:15 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Hello!

This thread, I wanted to start mainly to get input from other blacks life myself regarding where they stand regarding the racial climate that we are facing right now. Do you feel discriminated against on a regular basis? Do you feel you do relatively well for the most part in life?

I also want to know, how do you as a black person feel about these black conscious movements, SJWs, and black nationalists/separatists movements? How do you feel about the cultural appropriation issue? BLM?

The reason, I'm asking is because it seems like a lot of people are showing their true colors and in response to that, it seems we have many blacks counteracting to the racism being received. I do feel that the issue needs to be discussed but there are so many online black groups and forms that I just don't relate to. As a black person, I find that many of them are only cool with you when you are agreeing with them full stop. The minute you express a thought that deviates from the mindset of that particular form, blogger, or movement, the name calling (i.e. coon, uncle tom, jigaboo, boot licker) starts.

Now my question to other blacks-Where do you fit in at? Do you discuss racial issues with your friends? Are you met with any disagreements? When you find that one disagrees with you, do you educate them? Refer them to Google? Does the conversation go anywhere at all?
Truthfully, I don't know. I haven't been watching the news. When it comes to BLM, I don't know much about it. I'm hearing about the alot of bad stuff going on. I hear about the violence going on. I don't know if it's BLM or thugs who are hijacking the movement.

I am against police brutality. I do feel that as a Black man, I have a higher chance of being treated more aggressively by police. That has not happened. I do feel that there is unfairness taking place. When someone tells me "if you don't act ghetto, you won't get handled aggressively", I look at that person with the side eye.

What disgusts me are those who say "why don't you address Black on Black murders" as if Black on Black murder and police brutality are tied together or the same thing.

I have no use for the Black nationalist/separatist groups. I've always been the type who was willing to embrace integration. High school, I often wondered why the White and Black students rarely sat with each other. I never felt that it was my duty to "sit with my own kind". I figured, Black, White, it shouldn't matter. There were some Blacks I got along with, and some Whites I got along with.

There are certain things that I do feel that should be addressed. Part of me is concerned about being called an "uncle tom". On the other hand, there is this matter. I also don't want to attract the closet racists who only want to use me as doing their dirty work. Case in point, some Black youtubers I have listened to. There are some things I do agree with. I do concur that there is a certain segment of the Black population that is very problematic. I don't offer any excuses and I have no use for those individuals. Being called an "uncle tom" could be a concern. What concerns me more is attracting those who only want to use me as their watchdog, someone doing the dirty work of bigots, being used as a "Black voice" for bigots who hate Blacks.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:24 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,773,650 times
As a white male I would like to respond to this thread. I am not racists in the sense of disliking blacks for their(your) color or culture of anything like that. What I resent is that when blacks and whites live in the same areas of the same community whites lose our identity as whites.
European Americans can only be culturally and socially what we are when we live amongst our own kind with our own neighborhoods in our own areas of town or in our own towns. So if it happens that I resent blacks it isn't because I don't like blacks per se it is because of their intrusion into white towns and white neighborhoods. But blacks could take that as racism without knowing the reason behind my feelings. At the same time I can appreciate much about blacks like their music beat and their down to earth approach as I perceive it. But I can appreciate those things when blacks live in their own areas and whites live in our own areas.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
But should people not have the right to live where they want (as long as they can afford it)? I like the idea of having some neighborhoods be racially mixed because the world is not only black or white, but ethnic enclaves can be neat too. Are whites and blacks to never associate w/ each other at all?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
I think neighborhoods work BEST when it's primary two racial groups living in the same area (at the most). But even at that, it should not be mandated by law that one can only live in certain places because of their race.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:33 PM

487 posts, read 1,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
As a white male I would like to respond to this thread. I am not racists in the sense of disliking blacks for their(your) color or culture of anything like that. What I resent is that when blacks and whites live in the same areas of the same community whites lose our identity as whites.
European Americans can only be culturally and socially what we are when we live amongst our own kind with our own neighborhoods in our own areas of town or in our own towns. So if it happens that I resent blacks it isn't because I don't like blacks per se it is because of their intrusion into white towns and white neighborhoods. But blacks could take that as racism without knowing the reason behind my feelings. At the same time I can appreciate much about blacks like their music beat and their down to earth approach as I perceive it. But I can appreciate those things when blacks live in their own areas and whites live in our own areas.
How do Whites lose their identity when Blacks move in? I live in a mix community and have never imposed my culture on any of my White neighbors so I'm not understanding this at all.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:33 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
So you're not racist, but you want blacks to live on their "side" while you live on your "side".

Interesting.

I bet you're pro-gentrification too right?
People like that, I write them off as racists. I don't care what their explanation is.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:34 PM

487 posts, read 1,816,660 times
And what culture are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies