Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Growing up, I kind of had the best of both words. My daycare was mainly white, but my elementary years were spent in majority black schools (the neighborhood that I lived in at the time was relatively mixed, nice mix of black and white, but my neighbors were all white, and most of them sent their kids to the magnet elementary school nearby or the elementary school just outside my neighborhood. The school in my subdivision was predominantly black) until I got to the fifth grade and we moved to the south side of the city. I got to know kids from the hood as well as kids from more affluent areas.

From fifth grade until high school graduation the schools that I attended were predominantly white. I had my 10 year high school reunion last year and I was one of the very few black people there! My time in these predominantly white schools were not terrible times, but there were times that I felt that I got discriminated against by the administration when it came to harassment from other students. I noticed this ESPECIALLY when I'd try to defend myself and when it was clear that I was doing such, I was the one that was reprimanded. When I'd try to explain what happened, I was always cut off/talked over. That kind of pissed me off.

Music wise, I grew up on R&B a little rap (biggie, tupac, heavy D) and a large amount of Gospel (that's pretty much all mom played in the car). We didn't really watch BET, I begin to explore that during my adolescent years. Even at that, if we were out in public somewhere, I'd hear music from white singers and I'd be like "that don't sound so bad" but it wasn't really music that my parents played when we were riding.
Reading this does remind me somewhat of my own childhood. I spent middle school and high school in a majority White area. In my elementary school years, I lived in different places. Some with large Black populations, some that were majority White. I got to experience different things.

Music is one thing that made me differ from other kids. In 5th grade, alot of kids were into rap music. I knew more about Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder than I did Tupac or Biggie. I didn't get into rap music until I was about 13-14(and I only did that because I felt like I had to). I've been into mainly old school R&B. I also become somewhat of a world music kind of guy towards the end of my teen years. Oddly enough, I gained an appreciate for some of Tupac's stuff in my late 20s. I was never into BET. I found TVOne to be kind of interesting when they aired "Cowboys Of Color".

There are times I look at middle school with a bit of nostalgia. There were some good times. However, when looking at it, I went through alot of mess. Alot of bullying. Looking back , there were times when more action should have been taken. One kid tried to poison me. He didn't even get out of school suspension for his crime. I can't say I've ever been cut off when trying to explain what happened to me, by an administrator. However, I can say certain things that were done to me, I can only remember one time when someone got out-of-school suspension for it. I later found out the principal resigned after allegations of punishing Black students harsher than White students for the same offenses. I was shocked because I never had reason to suspect she might do that.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I find many blacks don't speak up for the same reasons many whites don't either. They don't want to seem like "race traitors".
Some don't want to be called race traitors. Some don't say anything because they look at it as none of their business.

As for Stacy Dash, the only place I know her from is the TV show "Clueless". After that she wasn't relevant. I find it hypocritical of her to criticize Black History Month and not criticize Hispanic History Month. I think part of it is her desperation for a paycheck. Another part could be the "bed wench" mentality. You can be attracted to someone of a different race without bashing yours. Stacey Dash bashes Black men. She basically said she was done dating Black men.

Her exact quote: “Brothers might be packing, but most of them don’t have two pennies to rub together. White boys have some big wallets and they got good credit too.”

Stacey Dash is just a user. A gold digger. And I really believe she hates having African ancestry. She is half Black, half Hispanic. She has made disparaging comments about Blacks, but not Hispanics. She has never said she wouldn't date Hispanics, but she says she doesn't want Black men. She went against Black History Month, but not Hispanic History Month. Stuff like this lets me know she doesn't mind doing the dirty work for those who don't like Blacks.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:26 AM

28,676 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Some don't want to be called race traitors. Some don't say anything because they look at it as none of their business.

As for Stacy Dash, the only place I know her from is the TV show "Clueless". After that she wasn't relevant. I find it hypocritical of her to criticize Black History Month and not criticize Hispanic History Month. I think part of it is her desperation for a paycheck. Another part could be the "bed wench" mentality. You can be attracted to someone of a different race without bashing yours. Stacey Dash bashes Black men. She basically said she was done dating Black men.

Her exact quote: “Brothers might be packing, but most of them don’t have two pennies to rub together. White boys have some big wallets and they got good credit too.”

Stacey Dash is just a user. A gold digger. And I really believe she hates having African ancestry. She is half Black, half Hispanic. She has made disparaging comments about Blacks, but not Hispanics. She has never said she wouldn't date Hispanics, but she says she doesn't want Black men. She went against Black History Month, but not Hispanic History Month. Stuff like this lets me know she doesn't mind doing the dirty work for those who don't like Blacks.

If a soldier says, "I won't kill" but serves in combat as a medic, he's certainly not a traitor. And the military police who put criminal soldiers behind bars are not traitors, either. The drill instructor who kicked you butt and got you into line is not a traitor, either.

That's where a distinction needs to be made that extremists don't make. I would call Stacey Dash a "race traitor."

Old 10-27-2016, 11:30 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
Quote:
Some don't want to be called race traitors. Some don't say anything because they look at it as none of their business. Do you think the "no snitch" policy could play a certain role in that?

As for Stacy Dash, the only place I know her from is the TV show "Clueless". After that she wasn't relevant. I find it hypocritical of her to criticize Black History Month and not criticize Hispanic History Month. I think part of it is her desperation for a paycheck. Another part could be the "bed wench" mentality. You can be attracted to someone of a different race without bashing yours. Stacey Dash bashes Black men. She basically said she was done dating Black men. how Ironic when you considered that each of her marriages to white men have ended and not well.

Her exact quote: “Brothers might be packing, but most of them don’t have two pennies to rub together. White boys have some big wallets and they got good credit too.” Yet her marriages failed miserably. I remember in 2010 she briefly dated Jamie Foxx. (i.e. went out to an event w/ him). She talked about it on Wendy Williams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aknNzm6zkFE

Stacey Dash is just a user. A gold digger. And I really believe she hates having African ancestry. She is half Black, half Hispanic. She has made disparaging comments about Blacks, but not Hispanics. It's what sells on FOX and she's not getting any acting gigs at the moment. She may suffer from a bit of self hate issues but I don't think that that's where the FOX commentary is coming from. She has never said she wouldn't date Hispanics, but she says she doesn't want Black men. She went against Black History Month, but not Hispanic History Month. Stuff like this lets me know she doesn't mind doing the dirty work for those who don't like Blacks.

Again, If you look REALLY close at her on FOX, she doesn't even look comfortable when she's speaking. Do you HONESTLY think that she doesn't know that she's just a token? The minute that we have a guests on FOX that reads her her rights, she'll ditch them.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 10-27-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If a soldier says, "I won't kill" but serves in combat as a medic, he's certainly not a traitor. And the military police who put criminal soldiers behind bars are not traitors, either. The drill instructor who kicked you butt and got you into line is not a traitor, either.

That's where a distinction needs to be made that extremists don't make. I would call Stacey Dash a "race traitor."
She is a traitor only for this reason: She has expressed her contempt for Black men and Black culture.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
So if it happens that I resent blacks it isn't because I don't like blacks per se it is because of their intrusion into white towns and white neighborhoods.
I was really enjoying this thread until this post right here. I had planned on just lurking because I am a white woman. But I cannot let this comment slide without me saying that in no way do all white people feel this way. That poster is the very definition of bigoted.

I live in an upper-middle-class neighborhood and we have a few black families that live here. None of the neighbors are bothered by it; we all help one another and watch out for each other. We have the only pool in our neighborhood and ALL of the neighborhood kids are welcome, and three of the younger black kids run with the other younger white kids, and nobody has a thing to say about it. Because we perceive ourselves as human first!

I am ashamed of white people who think the way this poster does. They are the very reason many blacks hate us.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
She is a traitor only for this reason: She has expressed her contempt for Black men and Black culture.

I think the word "race traitor" is an extreme word. No one can really be a "traitor" to a race. Because that would assume that people have certain values based on their race, and that's not true. She may say things that you disagree with, but it doesn't make her a traitor. And trust me, I do not like Stacy Dash, and there is no love lost. But I also don't think it's fair to call her a race traitor either.

Stacy Dash like most modern day black conservative do is defend the status quo. There is very little intellectual dishonesty left with black conservatism, as they seem to only take whatever conservative viewpoint falls in line with their white counterparts. Which in my opinion makes the movement kind of weak since they don't really have original ideas.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:48 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
I'd like to know this as well? How do whites lose their culture when a black moves in? Are you really that easily influenced?
We don't. That's was just a racist way of saying, "Stay on your side of the tracks."

Old 10-27-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Do you think the "no snitch" policy could play a certain role in that?
That could play a role if you live in the ghetto. Otherwise, it could be "I'm busy living my own life". In my own case, I hardly spoke on it because it wasn't directly affecting me.

Quote:
how Ironic when you considered that each of her marriages to white men have ended and not well. Yet her marriages failed miserably. I remember in 2010 she briefly dated Jamie Foxx. (i.e. went out to an event w/ him). She talked about it on Wendy Williams.
Ironic, and perhaps not. She obviously has alot of issues. She wants attention.

Quote:
It's what sells on FOX and she's not getting any acting gigs at the moment. She may suffer from a bit of self hate issues but I don't think that that's where the FOX commentary is coming from.
Quote:
Again, If you look REALLY close at her on FOX, she doesn't even look comfortable when she's speaking. Do you HONESTLY think that she doesn't know that she's just a token? The minute that we have a guests on FOX that reads her her rights, she'll ditch them.
Well, it's obvious she's looking for alot of attention. According to her, her conservative views have shunned her from Hollywood. She is craving attention and ratings.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

First, I'm conflicted to some extent as a black person trying to explain why "black people do what they do." I remember a number of years ago my daughter and I watched a BET program on "African-American culture." At the end of the program, my daughter said, "If that is African-American culture, I don't think I'm African-American."

It's definitely nothing like the culture I was raised in--sharing almost none of the moral and ethical character I was taught to have. Even the moral character of the music is different. I have no rationale for the misogyny of much black music these days. That's not what the original Last Poets rapped about.

I have no way to rationalize black teenagers in Philadelphia having a flash riot a couple of days ago. I have no way to rationalize black women "going off" on people (whites, cops, black men)...I just can't rationalize "going off" at all. I want to ask a black woman, "Just what result did you expect from that?" Unfortunately (well, actually fortunately), the black women I'm close to don't "go off," so they can't answer the question either.

The black society I was raised in was oppressed--overtly so--but yet "well-ordered." We also understood, "Nobody is free until everybody is free." Poor people can be genteel...Rosa Parks did not "go off" on that white bus driver.
On this wanted to note that the bold is the truth in regards to a majority of what is prescribed to be "African American/black American culture" on any TV program.

What we are shown and told is our culture is a bunch of nonsense basically.

IMO our culture is the rest of what you described Ralph. Our culture is about family, courage, creativity, intellectualism, strength in the face of adversity, supporting others in our community, and social activism, having high standards, "representing" (you know what I mean, in dress, in behavior, etc.). Being respectful of ourselves as individuals and as a people.

I feel lucky in the fact that I did not grow up entrenched in an "online" world and that I had the benefit of growing up in "the ghetto" unlike a lot of black people younger than me today so I know that what people describe as being "issues" in the ghetto on TV or online are not based in reality 90% of the time.

I will admit that I get discouraged that so many of our young black people in America fall for this crap today. Even in this very thread, mention of the "no snitch policy." LOL at that as if that is a real thing for the vast majority of black people in "the ghetto." IMO that shows these people have no relationship with living an inner-city life and they place stereotypes on "the ghetto" that media tells them or some online article.

I also feel lucky that I grew up in an era with real crime. No one can tell me that "black on black crime is on the rise" because I know from experience and for a fact that it is not. I knew lots of "street characters" (gangsters, OGs, prostitutes, crackheads, baseheads, wannabe's etc.). I also had a VERY involved extended family of black Americans who were middle class and were not poor and so I benefited from seeing both poor and what I felt was "rich" (it was really middle class) black people coming up. I grew up in "the black church." Even though I am not religious, I have an affinity for "our music" as my grandmother called it. I was a classically trained musician through high school (LOTS of lessons in art and music and always from both a traditional and "black" perspective) on various instruments due to my extended family's influence. I was gifted lots of non-fiction and canonical black literature. I was told stories of our distant, long passed relatives. I had a VERY solid base in black culture and because of that I feel I have an armor that many young black people today and even those in my age group who especially did not benefit from my strong, black family's adherence and love of "black culture" provided me (I am 37). It is a goal of mine to ensure this is instilled in my own children.

I also went to school in predominantly integrated environments. Most of the white people I grew up around were poor to working class. I did not grow up in the south or in a racist Midwest environment and I am grateful for that. I never had any racial issues from white classmates growing up. I was never accused of "acting/talking white" by black students. I never thought I didn't "speak like black people" because all the black people I knew and who I was surrounded by at school, at home, at church, at stores, at restaurants, at every place in my community, spoke the same way I did. Most of my family were very "bourgeoisie" in behavior - they had high standards. They also encouraged and uplifted me and IMO being "bourgeoisie" is much more common amongst black people than being "ghetto." However, even OGs/gangsters provided me encouragement. I was protected by my family who were involved in "street life" they even protected my white friends if I asked them too lol. I was taught to be both physically and mentally tough and told about the real world, about racism, about how I may be perceived by both black and white and in between. My childhood babysitter was a prostitute (she is still alive, and no longer doing that) and I dearly loved her because of how kind she was to me. I know that all "criminals" are not always criminals and that they are complex individuals just like myself, a mixture of good and bad. IMO no one can be defined by one or even 10 incidents in their life as a whole life is more than fleeting instants or circumstances.

So many of these "issues" discussed are just not issues to me. When I see stuff on TV or online, I can easily dismiss it as garbage since that is not the real world. It bothers me that more younger black people don't see this. I feel too many Americans buy into online "news" or "ideas" and act like they are valid without questioning the person behind those views (like the youtube bloggers mentioned earlier). I feel that intellectualism and skepticism is becoming rare, when that was not the case in America of the past and it also was not the case in regards to historical black intellectuals. I think black intellectualism is declining just as rapidly as intellectualism as a whole. That is a frightening thing IMO.

I figure I'll grow older and be one of those bitter old people shaking my head at the youth lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies