Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,227,464 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about the term "tone policing" Do you find it to be legit or just another case of making an issue bigger than it actually is? Does tone policing anger you or do you find the claim to be getting out of hand?

Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Never understood the entire "rap culture" argument racists love to use. The largest consumers of rap music are suburban white kids.

They're the ones buying the albums & going to these shows.
I am white and you may be correct. But it's not so much who buys the music, as for who these rappers are role models. Do you think white suburban kids see them as role models? I'm asking since I don't really know.
As for the rappers themselves, many are talented people that ride the wave because that's what the market demands. But it's the culture around the rap that seems to have the greatest impact on black kids.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:57 AM

1,544 posts, read 925,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I am white and you may be correct. But it's not so much who buys the music, as for who these rappers are role models. Do you think white suburban kids see them as role models? I'm asking since I don't really know.
As for the rappers themselves, many are talented people that ride the wave because that's what the market demands. But it's the culture around the rap that seems to have the greatest impact on black kids.
This is my take on it. I've been listening to rap music ever since Run-DMC. It isn't so much the culture, but the message behind it. The powers that be capitalized on this phenomenon and decided to manipulate the message in their quest to make money from this music.

Rap music in its early days was about life in the ghetto and how Black people rose above the trials and tribulations that would await them. These situations spawned songs such as "Stop The Violence," "The Message," and "Self-Destruction." Then came gangsta rap here in my neck of the woods. The "industry" believed this subgenre would make a killing in the rap game. Money was a bigger influence instead of love for the music. This is why you hear these new rappers talk about gibberish like money, cars, clothes, sex, etc.

For a better insight on what hip hop culture truly was about, I'd recommend listening to artists like Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, et al.

Last edited by SeasonedNewbie; 01-08-2017 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: typos fixed

Old 01-08-2017, 01:26 PM

Old gangster rap was real where as today's gangster rap is a facade. Many of these rappers today grew up one step away from a country club and have no experience of what they rap about. Now as far as seeing them as role models.....I believe many naive impoverished youth fall for the trap and I believe suburban kids mimic the lifestyle rapped about simpler because they think that it's cool.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
I haven't read this thread, but I've akso never met a black persons who says "blacks".

Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
*especially* from fellow blacks.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Asking for input *especially* from other black people does not mean that I am excluding members of other races from commenting. There have been a few white members commenting and I am fine with that as long as they are not causing a commotion.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
This is my take on it. I've been listening to rap music ever since Run-DMC. It isn't so much the culture, but the message behind it. The powers that be capitalized on this phenomenon and decided to manipulate the message in their quest to make money from this music.

Rap music in its early days was about life in the ghetto and how Black people rose above the trials and tribulations that would await them. These situations spawned songs such as "Stop The Violence," "The Message," and "Self-Destruction." Then came gangsta rap here in my neck of the woods. The "industry" believed this subgenre would make a killing in the rap game. Money was a bigger influence instead of love for the music. This is why you hear these new rappers talk about gibberish like money, cars, clothes, sex, etc.

For a better insight on what hip hop culture truly was about, I'd recommend listening to artists like Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, et al.
Or go back even further to the Last Poets in the latter 60s.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I haven't read this thread, but I've akso never met a black persons who says "blacks".
I do. Have since the 60s.

Wait, here is a sentence from a black woman quoted in an article in Ebony Magazine:

"Blacks represent no more than about 2 percent of the Ph.D.s in computing that are awarded. "

Old 01-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
How do you feel about the term "tone policing" Do you find it to be legit or just another case of making an issue bigger than it actually is? Does tone policing anger you or do you find the claim to be getting out of hand?
I had to Google that:

Quote:
RH: Tone policing is a silencing tactic. That means it's part of a set of tools used by people holding privilege to prevent marginalized individuals or groups from sharing their experiences of oppression.Dec 7, 2015
Most of the Google hits were from feminist sources.

We certainly practiced "tone policing" in the Civil Rights era. It was the reason we usually dressed well--even in suits--during protests. It was the entire point of non-violence.

It was an understanding of Sam Browne's quote: "Never offend with style when you can offend with substance."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies