Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 06:48 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

This is a Harvard Gazette article I thought provoked an interesting thought. How do cultural and racial minorities in other nations respond to everyday incidents of racism? A quick guess would be "different" from the way a black American would, but how would it be different...and why?

Two huge points appear to be:

a. What level of identity does his group have as a group (we may see them as a separate group, but do they see themselves as a separate group) and how closely do individuals identify with that group?

b. Is the group in some way on the path to assimilation with the majority (recognize: Assimilation is not the same thing as integration), and at what level do individuals desire or expect assimilation?

The everyday response to racism | Harvard Gazette

Old 12-16-2016, 05:49 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,441 times
Default Homophobia in the black community

Do you think that blacks are more homophobic than others or is the issue exaggerated?

Old 12-16-2016, 07:17 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Do you think that blacks are more homophobic than others or is the issue exaggerated?
Definitely not. Extremely exaggerated. Tons of gay peoppe get a lot of attention and shine in the black community. Long before the mainstream did

Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM

72,994 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
I agree, never refuse to vote. There was a time where he wouldn't have even been able too vote. Even if you feel like you are choosing between the lesser of two evils.....it's not wise to just not vote.
This is why I always vote. I need to have my say. There was a time when Blacks didn't have a say. Now we do. And we must use that say.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 570 times
Hey people.through my research I know for a fact that there is no such thing as a black race.orva white raceore important to my so called Hispanic brothers and sisters there is nothing as a Hispanic.to my Dominicans .There is no Dominican race.dominican comes from St Dominic.It's a order of friars and priest known as Dominicans.you are using the name of your slave masters.just like everyone else who is non white.The so called black people are the oldest poeple on the planet.everone has melenated Gene's.if you are from anywhere on the planet and if you have melinin that it's a fact that you have so called black blood.its not rocket science

Old 12-26-2016, 01:44 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capodecapo View Post
Hey people.through my research I know for a fact that there is no such thing as a black race.orva white raceore important to my so called Hispanic brothers and sisters there is nothing as a Hispanic.to my Dominicans .There is no Dominican race.dominican comes from St Dominic.It's a order of friars and priest known as Dominicans.you are using the name of your slave masters.just like everyone else who is non white.The so called black people are the oldest poeple on the planet.everone has melenated Gene's.if you are from anywhere on the planet and if you have melinin that it's a fact that you have so called black blood.its not rocket science

Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
What do you think of the concept of buying black? Do we as blacks put too much of our dollars into other communities? Do you think blacks should diversify the types of businesses that they invest in? Is it possible to not neglect the black community while enjoying services and products in others?
I have a mixed view on this. It would help if there were more Black owned businesses. It would be great for more Black people to start their own businesses, and for Black people to patronize those businesses.

I also expect good quality. I won't just give my money to a businessential in the name of "buying Black ". It needs to be good.

For years I never knew about this. I didn't learn until I was about 20 that alot of money goes into other communities but not much into the Black population.

I notice it far more in poor Black areas. I work in a rough part of town. Most of the merchants nearby are either Asian or Hispanic, even though most of the persons there are Black. I never think about it where I live. If I was in the ghetto, I might think about it more. Because I live in the suburbs (exurbs when you think about it), it isn't something I think alot of.

I do think it is possible for Blacks to not neglect each other while enjoying products services of others. That is part of what integration was about. We need more Blacks building businesses.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:38 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a mixed view on this. It would help if there were more Black owned businesses. It would be great for more Black people to start their own businesses, and for Black people to patronize those businesses.

I also expect good quality. I won't just give my money to a businessential in the name of "buying Black ". It needs to be good.

For years I never knew about this. I didn't learn until I was about 20 that alot of money goes into other communities but not much into the Black population.

I notice it far more in poor Black areas. I work in a rough part of town. Most of the merchants nearby are either Asian or Hispanic, even though most of the persons there are Black. I never think about it where I live. If I was in the ghetto, I might think about it more. Because I live in the suburbs (exurbs when you think about it), it isn't something I think alot of.

I do think it is possible for Blacks to not neglect each other while enjoying products services of others. That is part of what integration was about. We need more Blacks building businesses.
I also share these sentiments.

I'm all for Black owned businesses, but I'd also like to see more of us in fields like real estate and investing. Instead of paying a lease on properties, we could rent them out and receive monthly cash flow. Trading options is another good way for Brothers and Sisters to create wealth and even start their own investment firms.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
I also share these sentiments.

I'm all for Black owned businesses, but I'd also like to see more of us in fields like real estate and investing. Instead of paying a lease on properties, we could rent them out and receive monthly cash flow. Trading options is another good way for Brothers and Sisters to create wealth and even start their own investment firms.
This is how I see it. We have the talent out there. What is needed is to build on that talent, to step it up.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:17 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,441 times
Default Educating non-blacks.

How do you feel about explaining to or educating others who are not black on black issues when they ask? Do you engage in the conversation or do you tell them to go to google?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies