Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Most blacks that I know who listen to rap do not glorify a thug lifestyle, however for those that DO glorify it, they really need to read into the biographies of some of these rappers, you'd be amazed at how differently they grew up compared to what they rap about. Rapping about money, drugs, and pimping is what sells at this moment. Underground stuff, your poets, your storytellers..............right now that isn't hot.
A lingering element of systemic racism is that young black males don't have the ability to be totally scatterbrained in their teen and early college years, then pull it together in their last two years of college as though the scatterbrained period never happened...the way white boys still do.

There are several factors that I can recognize making the difference, and some of them are within us.

And that situation may be changing post 2008. But that's how it has been, and why thug rap, misogynist rap, and other immoral and amoral black rap styles and lyrics do affect blacks negatively more than whites. It's just another stumbling block in what is already a very rocky road.

Quote:
This opens up a new topic. Should blacks take control of their own creativity, start their own labels? You have a few black musicians who have done such, however many are still being overseen by the big corps who have a significant influence over what is being recorded. Also, what do you think we as blacks can do to promote or raise awareness of better music?
I am amazed that major record corporations still exist. 'Way back in '85--when CD burners dropped below $500 and we had begun sending files between college and privately owned servers over telephone lines that would someday be called the Internet, I predicted that would also spell the end of major record labels.

Remember that the concentration of the recording industry was still pretty recent in '85. As late as the mid 70s, the recording industry had been dispersed across the country over a couple of dozen significant independent labels (and several were black). I thought for sure that with the technological ability to free music from the distribution power of the major corporations, music could spread out again.

We also had a good number of black-owned magazines published in several places into the 70s.

We did lose control of our image in the 70s.

But the Internet can change all that--should have changed all that.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
We have one arguing that the attack on the mentally disabled man in Chicago was not a hate crime, though charges have been filed. What's your take on that one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXq9rRKzw2s

Hate Crimes Charges Filed Against 4 Who Attacked Special Needs Man
I think that this case received a lot of attention because the attackers live streamed it on Facebook. I do think it was a hate crime against a disabled individual but not about race. I also think that many people's reaction to if of "IF IT WAS A BLACK VICTIM OF WHITES BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH" is ridiculous considering there have been cases of black victims of white attackers similar to this (involving a special needs individual) and those cases did not receive nearly the attention of this one and the perpetuators were not even imprisoned like I'm sure these attackers will.

I do feel that the crime was horrible and wonder how they could do that to someone. It is sickening, but it is not a reflection on black people or black culture, just like the similar crimes performed by whites in todays day and age are not a reflection of white Americans at large.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think that this case received a lot of attention because the attackers live streamed it on Facebook. I do think it was a hate crime against a disabled individual but not about race.

Of course race was a central factor of the act, the black youth involved explicitly taunted their victim about his whiteness and about Trump. I'd point out, too, that after getting more details about the crime, Simone Sanders has changed her opinion and agrees with the hate crime charges.

However, I'm sour on the "hate crime" concept. I don't necessarily think that "particular hate" is a practical factor in how we react legally to a criminal act.

Quote:
I also think that many people's reaction to if of "IF IT WAS A BLACK VICTIM OF WHITES BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH" is ridiculous considering there have been cases of black victims of white attackers similar to this (involving a special needs individual) and those cases did not receive nearly the attention of this one and the perpetuators were not even imprisoned like I'm sure these attackers will.

That is true. Links available.

Quote:
I do feel that the crime was horrible and wonder how they could do that to someone. It is sickening, but it is not a reflection on black people or black culture, just like the similar crimes performed by whites in todays day and age are not a reflection of white Americans at large.

Live streaming their actions on social media is something I really cannot wrap my head around. Either they somehow think social media is a private communication just to people who think precisely as they do, or they thought their actions would somehow be so "mainstream" as to be generally considered "normal."

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 01-10-2017 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Of course race was a central factor of the act, the black youth involved explicitly taunted their victim about his whiteness and about Trump. I'd point out, too, that after getting more details about the crime, Simone Sanders has changed her opinion and agrees with the hate crime charges.

However, I'm sour on the "hate crime" concept. I don't necessarily think that "particular hate" is a practical factor in how we react legally to a criminal act.

That is true. Links available.

Live streaming their actions on social media is something I really cannot wrap my head around. Either they somehow think social media is a private communication just to people who think precisely as they do, or they thought their actions would somehow be so "mainstream" as to be generally considered "normal."
On the bold, that doesn't change my mind nor Simone Sanders giving the charges. Hate Crime charges can be brought up due to the "hate" of someone with a disability. I've not been following the case so don't know what the "hate" is supposed to be about in regards to the hate crime charge.

I don't think he was targeted because he was white. I think he was targeted for a crime because he was disabled and due to that more easily able to be victimized. The "white" and "Trump" portions of the video are a small part of the torture this individual received and I believe if he had not been someone with special needs, he would not have been targeted. Charging someone with a "hate crime" entails the victim was chosen to be victimized based on certain factors and IMO he was chosen based on his disability.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
i never really agree with the 'hate" crime because that is starting the thought police, if you murder someone, doesnt matter who it is, there hate involved so why should added punishment for what you was thinking. yes i believe punishment should be tough, very tough, but not for what you thinking

Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
On the bold, that doesn't change my mind nor Simone Sanders giving the charges. Hate Crime charges can be brought up due to the "hate" of someone with a disability. I've not been following the case so don't know what the "hate" is supposed to be about in regards to the hate crime charge.

I don't think he was targeted because he was white. I think he was targeted for a crime because he was disabled and due to that more easily able to be victimized. The "white" and "Trump" portions of the video are a small part of the torture this individual received and I believe if he had not been someone with special needs, he would not have been targeted. Charging someone with a "hate crime" entails the victim was chosen to be victimized based on certain factors and IMO he was chosen based on his disability.

So you're pointing out, then, the reason why "hate crime" is impractical as a legal consideration.

If explicit racial statements by the criminals are not sufficient to brand it as a racial hate crime--subject to remote interpretations to call it something else--then we can argue with equal validity that Dylann Roof's murder of blacks in a church is not a hate crime either--he attacked people in a church simply because they were less likely to be ready to defend themselves than a group of people on a street. In fact, he even said that.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
I think that this case received a lot of attention because the attackers live streamed it on Facebook. I do think it was a hate crime against a disabled individual but not about race. I also think that many people's reaction to if of "IF IT WAS A BLACK VICTIM OF WHITES BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH" is ridiculous considering there have been cases of black victims of white attackers similar to this (involving a special needs individual) and those cases did not receive nearly the attention of this one and the perpetuators were not even imprisoned like I'm sure these attackers will.

Exactly, those were bad kids. But I don't see anyone condemning white people after that other horrible team assaulted the disabled black teen with a hanger and the judge didn't rule it as a sex crime, because he didn't want the kid to be a sex offender.

I am sure these kids will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Unlike the kid above who got no prison time for a heinous crime.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Exactly, those were bad kids. But I don't see anyone condemning white people after that other horrible team assaulted the disabled black teen with a hanger and the judge didn't rule it as a sex crime, because he didn't want the kid to be a sex offender.

I am sure these kids will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Unlike the kid above who got no prison time for a heinous crime.
Well, we already know in this case they live-streamed the crime on social media, so for sure it's going to get a lot more media coverage than a case reported from a normal police blotter. No point acting surprised about that.

But, for sure, we should not let the Texas case be forgotten. In neither case should the "hate crime" issue be allowed to be hidden...if we're going to continue to make "hate crime" a thing at all.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
It's so funny how so many blacks will use the word "coon" to describe a black who does not think like them or who they think is "white washed". "Coon" is basically their way of saying "sell-out" Do they not know the history of this term and just how derogatory it was towards black Americans as a whole? They are literally using a term that was coined by the very people who they are fighting against! I kind of have a love/hate relationship w/ the BLM movement. I feel the original intent was good, however many of it's supporters have turned the movement into something very ugly.
Gonna comment on the thread in general when I get time, but want to talk about the BLM point.

They are a co-opt of the original movement. Simply called The Movement. Completely grassroots, black led. It started with black media.

Black Lives Matter was used against that black media, and the original orgs in Ferguson, by the media and establishment to maintain control, and to not fund the groups who actually started the movement.

They were never what they claimed to be. Those of us who started this movement are still working around them while the public is just now finding out.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. Almost never.

Yes.

They fascinate me. That kind of mentality is something I usually associate with older people that went through trauma growing up during jim crow, my grandparents generation. It amazes me that people younger than me are into those kinds of things. What caused them to lose their mind? What happened to them?

Nonsense. Culture doesn't belong to anybody. I once saw a choir of Scandinavian people sing black american gospel music and was glad to see it. I see that as cultural appreciation.

Huge waste of time. Incidents of police misconduct and/or brutality should be dealt with on a case by case basis. We dont need a movement. The culture of marching and protesting is not productive. People need to get their minds out of the civil rights era.

I also dont believe that black people are behind black lives matter. BLM is manufactured. Who's funding it? Where do they get those podiums from? How does Shaun King pay his bills?

I dont normally discuss racial issues. It bores me, and its never a productive conversation. We can have opinions about things other than race relations.
I agree with your perspective.

"The Movement" was actually designed to address much more than police corruption. BLM never led it, they were used against it. That IS the major scandal on the Democratic side right now that they're trying to avoid.

The Movement is a brand that they don't own. That's why you never see them on the hashtag (where things evolved) or working with any of the grassroots organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies