Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times

Advertisements

I find that many blacks moving to the south are retires who are originally from the south looking to settle down. That said, I like the Carolinas. I've always thought the area was beautiful. I'd consider Virginia too.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Milder winters are a part of why many people in general move to Charlotte and Atlanta. Cheaper cost of living is another reason. And there are jobs in Charlotte. Alot of people haved moved there for the same jobs, cheaper cost of living.
Retirement, warmer winters, friendlier people, lower cost of living are a few reasons. They may also have family that they want to be near.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:05 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Retirement, warmer winters, friendlier people, lower cost of living are a few reasons. They may also have family that they want to be near.
There are certainly retirees coming here. In the case of my father, work took him wherever he went. He is a born and raised northerner. He went where he got an engineering job. His work took him to the West Coast, Texas, and the South. Midwest as well.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lemme tell ya, if you wanna see black folks living well, go to Salt Lake. And if you're black AND Mormon? Forget it...you move to the head of the line.

Keeping it real, White Mormons are nowhere near as racist as white Catholics or Protestants. In fact, they WANT more blacks in the LDS. And to be sure, it's very important to be LDS in Utah. Not saying that you won't find people to be friendly or won't find advancement opportunities if you aren't, but Mormons look out for Mormons. That's just the way it is.

My cousin is a tire rep in the SLC area, and he's been there about 25 years (after retiring from the Army Ranger School up there). He married a local girl who is a Mormon, although he's still a Catholic. He lives in South Jordan, and has a beautiful family and pretty good career.

But even he'll admit that his career would've went much further if he'd become a Mormon. But that's always been his Achilles Heel in Utah. His religion, not his race.

But regardless, ambitious blacks will find SLC to be a great place to live and raise a family.
I thought about going to Utah many years ago, when I was a teenager. I was getting tired of living in Georgia. I will mention this. I'm not Mormon, I have no interest in becoming a Mormon. I have my own faith. And while the Mormom Church has disavowed the "mark of Cain" tenet, it is still something that sits in the back on my mind. I won't lie though, the SLC area looks quite beautiful. Park City as well.

You can find bigots in every faith. You can find Muslims and Buddhists who are quite bigoted as well. I see it this way. There is a difference between what a faith teaches, vs what many people will do.

Quote:
Yeah, but if you're moving to a southern city, you've gotta be highly qualified with a solid educational background. Otherwise, you're just as likely to struggle there as you would anywhere else. Wages in the south are pretty awful if your skill set is nothing more than labor. Labor in the south isn't a position I'd wanna find myself in.
My father is a skilled person. He's worked in different parts of the USA. Midwest, West Coast, the South. He's still in the South. I don't think he's too thrilled to be in the South. However, he takes work wherever he gets it.

Quote:
I'd bet that if I moved to Milwaukee right now, I could find a job paying me 50k per year within 90 days of my arrival. The Rust Belt is teeming with good jobs. Look, they STILL do a helluva lot of good paying heavy manufacturing in the Rust Belt. The problem is that you can no longer just walk out of high school right into those jobs. Doesn't work that way anymore.
Maybe you could. Maybe I could. All I've heard in the news and from studies though is how many educated Blacks are leaving Wisconsin. I've heard stuff about the Black imprisonment rate, unemployment rate, and discrimination taking place. Even odder yet, more of the welfare-seekers are moving there.

Quote:
You'll need a good, stable work background, clean urinalysis (which too many young folks can't pass), and maybe a little bit of tech school or something showing that you have skills. Being a military veteran will help too.
Skills do help.

Quote:
Detroit, a city where I have strong connections, is LOADED with good jobs that they can't fill because people have shoddy work histories and can't pass a simple pee test.

My cousin did nothing good after high school but get high, have kids, and drift from one sorry ass boyfriend to another. She finally decided to get her life together, stop getting high, and look for work instead of spending her whole damn life on aid.

Waaalah...got a good job at the Detroit Metro airport making $15 an hour and she's received two or three promotions in the last few years. She's now making about $22 an hour. Not rich, but a respectable wage.
What kind of work does your cousin do?

I have no ties to Detroit. I would have to see for myself.

Quote:
Cleveland, Detroit, Indy, Pittsburg, Buffalo, Louisville, Cincy, Toledo, Milwaukee, Chicago, the Quad Cities, Dayton, Grand Rapids, Lansing, South Bend, etc...all have really good jobs available for people that want to work, have good work histories, and can pass the pee test. That's a fact.
I've heard that Grand Rapids, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Buffalo are bouncing back. Pittsburgh is home to a growing robotics industry. This is what I know. In the Atlanta area, there are many Blacks relocating here from Pittsburgh among many places. On one hand, I hear that Pittsburgh is becoming one of the most livable cities in America. On the other hand, I keep hearing about Blacks doing horribly in Pittsburgh. It sends some odd messages.

Quote:
Black folks just think too myopically when they look at the opportunities in this country. We've gotta start thinking outta the box a little. I know we generally love to live around each other, but we've gotta expand our horizons a bit. This is OUR COUNTRY too...every damn bit of it. Our ownership is just as valid as the white folks' claim on it. It's a huge country. Time to take advantage of the enormity of the size and opportunities that America offers.
I know this is my country. There are many more places I would like to see and live in, other than the Atlanta area. I'd prefer to go west or the Upper Midwest. If I happen to live among my own, great. If not,well, that's how it turned out.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:25 PM

When I think of Georgia and the possibility of living there I like at cities like Savannah (I'm a big fan of historical cities) and Augusta.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:50 PM

Default NEW TOPIC: Al Sharpton

I've noticed in this forum and others that people (usually non-blacks) frequently bring up Al Sharpton as a scapegoat and it is assumed that all black peoples cling on to Mr. Sharpton's every word. Why do you think this is? What is your opinion on Al Sharpton in general?

Old 05-06-2017, 05:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
I've noticed in this forum and others that people (usually non-blacks) frequently bring up Al Sharpton as a scapegoat and it is assumed that all black peoples cling on to Mr. Sharpton's every word. Why do you think this is? What is your opinion on Al Sharpton in general?
People who dislike/loathe black people will always run the most outlandish and the most extreme black voices to label as "leader of the blacks" in order to justify their hatred.

I have said on this forum before that I have no idea what the latest commentary of Sharpton or Farrakhan happens to be but I can guarantee that the usual suspects (of white posters) around here seem to hang on their every word.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
When I think of Georgia and the possibility of living there I like at cities like Savannah (I'm a big fan of historical cities) and Augusta.
I used to live in Savannah. It's okay. I liked that it has alot of old architecture and it is close to the ocean. I am not fond of the gnats and mosquitoes down there.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:01 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The Meccas quickly turn into slums. The black suburbs around Atlanta have awful schools, increasing crime and decreasing home values. The home values have not rebounded from the Housing Crisis either.

I met a fellow black alum from my school that is doing quite well for himself here in DC. He's one of the few black professionals at the office. The other blacks being mostly secretaries or janitors. He said they always ask him when he is going to move to PG with the other blacks. He confided that he has little interest in doing so but always tells them that he's considering it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I had to wonder if this was an attempt to talk down on American Blacks in general.
Is there any wonder why Malcolm is just a X on a T-shirt and MLK is worshipped as a god in modern America.

Guess which one " talked down" to their own.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
My theory is this. There are some people who are just that stupid to think that the majorityof Blacks follow after Al Sharpton. Most of us aren't even paying much attention to him. I certainly don't.

Some people are just hateful. One cannot openly hate Blacks as a whole. Not without some kind of censure. However, using Al Sharpton as a scapegoat is easy.

Something more. Al Sharpton is the person who gets the most media attention. More people know about him than anyone else. It is easier to cling to his every word than anyone else. He is the loudest and gets the most attention. And few people are willing to do any research for themselves.

Personally, I don't really given Al Sharpton much thought. The only time I ever think about him is when some people bring him up, and often they are complaining about him and Blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies