Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 AM

28,723 posts, read 18,955,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
As a white male I would like to respond to this thread. I am not racists in the sense of disliking blacks for their(your) color or culture of anything like that. What I resent is that when blacks and whites live in the same areas of the same community whites lose our identity as whites.
European Americans can only be culturally and socially what we are when we live amongst our own kind with our own neighborhoods in our own areas of town or in our own towns.
European culture is that delicate, huh?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,622,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How so? You could have a nice all black neighborhood, and a not so nice all black neighborhood. Distance yourself from the non-decent all you want. That'd be welcome.

As I explained, black activist and the government and blacks themselves are imposing much of the entire black group onto whites and to a much lessor extent some of the lower class white group, and then constantly scapegoating whites.

Whites don't make excuses or defend their poor, ne'er-do-well and criminal. They're basically considered as dirt and always have been.
I'm not sure I buy that, but even if I did, we don't attribute those characteristics to their whiteness, either, now do we? BTW, are you implying that all poor people should be "considered as dirt?"

Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 AM

73,141 posts, read 62,992,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I don't feel that my wishes were disrespected in any way, shape, or form w/ your commentary. *Especially* doesn't mean *exclusively*, as long as one is not coming to cause trouble or a commotion I'm cool w/ their commentary.

Anyway to answer the question, I have to wonder if this issue of determining whether a neighborhood is for a certain race is more prevalent in some regions than it is in others? In the south where I'm at, things are getting better to a degree but there's still a lot of racial tension and a lot of white flight still takes place. That said, there are some blacks who aren't keen on white people living on their "turf" either. I wonder if this is common in the Pacific Northwest as well in states such as Washington and Oregon?
I've heard about that taking place in the L.A. area. As for Black neighborhoods in the Pacific Northwest, I will say this. Areas that were once majority Black, such as Seattle's Central District, Rainier Valley, those areas are no longer majority Black. In fact, while some neighborhoods in the PNW have Black pluralities, Black majority neighborhoods are basically gone.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:51 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,622,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I don't feel that my wishes were disrespected in any way, shape, or form w/ your commentary. *Especially* doesn't mean *exclusively*, as long as one is not coming to cause trouble or a commotion I'm cool w/ their commentary.

Anyway to answer the question, I have to wonder if this issue of determining whether a neighborhood is for a certain race is more prevalent in some regions than it is in others? In the south where I'm at, things are getting better to a degree but there's still a lot of racial tension and a lot of white flight still takes place. That said, there are some blacks who aren't keen on white people living on their "turf" either. I wonder if this is common in the Pacific Northwest as well in states such as Washington and Oregon?
I'm glad. One of my pet peeves is when white people can't let black people have a conversation without dashing in and acting like the arbiters of all wisdom. I think one of our first responsibilities, in promoting better race relations, is to listen more and talk less, and I guess I was worried that I had violated my own code.

I'm not sure about regional differences. I've lived in several places in the Midwest, in Chicago, in Anchorage, and am recently transplanted to the South. I can't really address what things are like in the Pacific Northwest or the East coast.

I know that when I lived in Alaska, most of the racial animus was directed at native Alaskans. The only place I ever felt a bit odd about being white was when I went to an appointment in southside Chicago. Nobody was openly hostile, but I did get some looks that could only have meant "what are you doing here?" I didn't take it personally, as I knew I would be an anomaly in that neighborhood. If anything, it gave me a taste of what it is like to be entirely surrounded by people who didn't look like me, and to feel distrusted as a result.

My current neighborhood is very white. I live here mostly because I have a nice place to stay, rent-free, with a kind homeowner who is a good friend and looks on my help around the house as compensation. I like the peace and quiet, and the fact that I can see the stars at night, but I do miss the diversity of the cities I've lived in. If there is discrimination here, I think it is probably based more upon income than race. My first experience with the South, which was in a very rural part of Arkansas, was horrible, people claiming to not be the least bit racist, but constantly using racial slurs, and warning me not to call anyone out about it.

If I could go anywhere, based on the neighborhood alone, I would probably return to Chicago. I lived in Rogers Park, a few blocks from the lake, and that neighborhood was incredibly diverse and vibrant, like a mini United Nations.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 03-16-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,876,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I can also answer this as a young, black American who wants to get into real estate development.

Gentrification has proven, at least at certain levels, to improve the quality of life, safety, and overall appearance of formerly seedy areas. I see no better example of this than in my own city of Philadelphia. When I was a kid, who would have wanted to buy a multi-million dollar home in Point Breeze or ANY part of Kensington? Now, homes built in these areas regularly capture these prices.

Other than neighborhood improvements, gentrification isn't a process that exclusively targets minorities. Again, when looking at Philadelphia, one will notice that Fishtown has gentrified considerably. In fact, it has gentrified to the point where the early stages of gentrification are occurring across the Lehigh Viaduct in Port Richmond.

What people who protest gentrification forget, is that cities are dynamic and change over time. Even many of the "historically-black" neighborhoods in Philadelphia were white at one point. EVERYONE has a right to live ANYWHERE they want within a city, and "racial" lines should not prevent this from happening. I'm more concerned about rehabbing our beautiful but dilapidated housing stock (in some areas) and filling empty, blighted lots with tax-paying properties than keeping them vacant in order to appease people who are opposed to development just because they're afraid of change.
I agree with this on gentrification.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that gentrification is a natural thing that occurs in urban areas.

On investing, I do feel more black Americans need to start investing. Not just in real estate. I have some properties and am a landlord. But I got money for those properties by investing in the stock market via index funds starting when I was a young twenty-something year old. I didn't even consistently (with every paycheck) put money in those accounts, but man Obama's administration REALLY made me a lot of money in those accounts. I was able to add to my portfolio of properties due to the housing downturn and the dirt cheap real estate I bought a few years ago. I did take a hit on taxes for withdrawing that money, but I've more than made up the difference.

Young black people, you need to take advantage of investing. Participate in your 401k/403b at your work, ESPECIALLY if they match any portion of your investment. If you aren't, you are basically giving away free money.

I also have an IRA that I opened years ago with Charles Schwab online. You can open one for $500-$1000 and you should start 'investing" by saving that first $500. Save $50 a pay period and have it put into a Charles Schab account automatically for instance, until you get $500 or $1000 then convert that account to an investment account and make some money

I was lucky in that my "rich" great grandmother (lol on rich, I thought she was rich but really she was just middle class and a decent with her finances looking back) told me that I should start investing by the time I was 21. I did and even though I've been through poverty periods in my adulthood, those early investments, I left them alone and they are still building me wealth today.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:46 PM

270 posts, read 199,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Gentrification has proven, at least at certain levels, to improve the quality of life, safety, and overall appearance of formerly seedy areas. I see no better example of this than in my own city of Philadelphia. When I was a kid, who would have wanted to buy a multi-million dollar home in Point Breeze or ANY part of Kensington? Now, homes built in these areas regularly capture these prices.

Other than neighborhood improvements, gentrification isn't a process that exclusively targets minorities. Again, when looking at Philadelphia, one will notice that Fishtown has gentrified considerably. In fact, it has gentrified to the point where the early stages of gentrification are occurring across the Lehigh Viaduct in Port Richmond.

What people who protest gentrification forget, is that cities are dynamic and change over time. Even many of the "historically-black" neighborhoods in Philadelphia were white at one point. EVERYONE has a right to live ANYWHERE they want within a city, and "racial" lines should not prevent this from happening. I'm more concerned about rehabbing our beautiful but dilapidated housing stock (in some areas) and filling empty, blighted lots with tax-paying properties than keeping them vacant in order to appease people who are opposed to development just because they're afraid of change.
I agree totally, I see the same thing where my wife grew up in Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. Her parents owned their home and they have been very pleased with the fact that they can now walk to get pizza or coffee without getting shot at. Twenty years ago, it was a war zone. Now you see people of all colors walking the streets safely at all hours of the night.
What most protestors don't tell you is that many African Americans in Bed-Stuy had been leaving the neighborhood for "better pastures" for YEARS. Some move to New Jersey, Long Island or the Poconos. Even more have "gone back" down South and left New York entirely.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM

This week I had a chat with someone regarding things that alot of Black people might deal with. The subject of Trump came up. One thing I had to think about was who President Trump appealed to. And then I thought about this. Issues such as illegals, terrorism, unemployment. Many know that Trump wasn't able to appeal to Blacks(working class, poor, or the well off). I had to think about this. Many voted for Trump out of fear.

Being Black myself, I have to consider this. I am not against our immigration laws being enforced. I do not feel that a wall is necessary for this. I am a proponent of protection from terrorism. I do not approve of the ban on people from some countries. This is part of what I thought of. I wonder about how many African-Americans view certain political issues.

I will mention this. In the chat I was having, I felt that things that could scare some of Trump's constituency wasn't going to work with Blacks. Terrorism. I mentioned that Black Americans have have dealt with terrorism in America for years. Illegal immigration and stealing jobs. I mentioned Blacks were often last hired, first fired. Thus, it wouldn't matter.

It made me wonder how one will perceive certain political issues as a Black person in America.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,238,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This week I had a chat with someone regarding things that alot of Black people might deal with. The subject of Trump came up. One thing I had to think about was who President Trump appealed to. And then I thought about this. Issues such as illegals, terrorism, unemployment. Many know that Trump wasn't able to appeal to Blacks(working class, poor, or the well off). I had to think about this. Many voted for Trump out of fear.

Being Black myself, I have to consider this. I am not against our immigration laws being enforced. I do not feel that a wall is necessary for this. I am a proponent of protection from terrorism. I do not approve of the ban on people from some countries. This is part of what I thought of. I wonder about how many African-Americans view certain political issues.

I will mention this. In the chat I was having, I felt that things that could scare some of Trump's constituency wasn't going to work with Blacks. Terrorism. I mentioned that Black Americans have have dealt with terrorism in America for years. Illegal immigration and stealing jobs. I mentioned Blacks were often last hired, first fired. Thus, it wouldn't matter.

It made me wonder how one will perceive certain political issues as a Black person in America.
I remember posting in another thread when Trump became president, for those against him and other minorities, it was the worst day of their lives. For us Blacks, it was simply Tuesday.
And yes that quote came from the movie Street Fighter

So yeah I get what you're saying. This "fear" with all the political issues mentioned is a totally new experience for a lot of them. Through our lens, its par for the course. Like welcome to the Negrodome.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,876,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I remember posting in another thread when Trump became president, for those against him and other minorities, it was the worst day of their lives. For us Blacks, it was simply Tuesday.

So yeah I get what you're saying. This "fear" with all the political issues mentioned is a totally new experience for a lot of them. Through our lens, its par for the course. Like welcome to the Negrodome.
LOL on the bold!

I agree as well.

Blacks in America have a vastly different experience IMO than most whites.

IMO I think this is due to the fact that we are that "other" to many white Americans over the years. We have been the boogey man so to speak and so we know that this frenzy of being afraid of liberals, of Muslims, of brown immigrants, etc., we know from experience that it is not based on rational thought and reality because our ancestors were feared in the same way.

Also we are resigned to the fact that we will always have a social "struggle" so to speak and that those social battles will not always be won and we deal with that in a more positive, realistic way based on our demographic's history.

That is the main reason why I feel that we need to really ensure that those of us who have "made it" out of "the hood/ghetto" keep a very close and knowledgeable connection to our culture and history as a demographic in this country. I have seen too many blacks today, post election, act too much like the frenzied liberals. These were mostly younger people though but one of my mom's sisters, who is a freaking MD actually called off work the day after the election because she was to quote her "literally sick and anxious" and nervous and throwing up over the election lol.

To me that showed a disconnect with black history and culture. Too many of our people move out, and IMO that is not a bad thing, but they forget that just because you make it out of the hood doesn't mean that you are going to have everything in life go your way.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post

I remember that day. It is understood to me that Blacks have gone through worse. In my case, I was born in the 1980s. I felt like Trump's election was going to be a step backwards.

I've never watched Street Fighter, so I don't know.

I remember laying there in the early morning hours thinking "what's next? Is Jim Crow going to make a return?". Interestingly, my father didn't seem all that bothered. For him, it was "it is what it is. I'm not surprised he won". I was kind of shocked. I thought "Trump won't win. He's a bigot, he has a big mouth and he's got a bully-like mentality. No way he would win".

I was shocked. And then I just carried on. Nothing I could do. I will say this. To me, Trump was a different kind of crazy.

For Blacks, this is just my opinion. Trump's "outreach" wasn't anything that was going to be bought by Blacks. I think about the terrorism issue. Blacks have dealt with being terrorized for hundreds of years. And it was all home grown terrorism. Unemployment? Even in places where immigrants are few, Black males still have higher unemployment rates. Illegals? See also Unemployment?

Such issues are concerns. However, how many Black Americans relate to such issues is something I want to hear more about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies