Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:39 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,301,228 times

Advertisements

This isn't likely to go over very well with the base. Sort of the thing that Al Gore would refer to as "an unconvenient truth".

Quote:
"I will tell you that if the Republican Party does not evolve, the Republican Party is going to die.”
John Kasich interview with Business Insider - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 11:48 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,957 times
They've tried that. It doesn't work. The "base" is as diverse as it has ever been and even more diverse than that of the Democratic Party, and politicians such as Mitt Romney and Rand Paul are about as moderate Republicans as they could possibly be, and look what happened to them. And truth be told, outside of Trump's "ban Muslim" talk, he's pretty moderate on the issues as well. Make no mistake about it--as lighthearted as Kasich is, he would have been blown out had he been the nominee.

Let's face it--as long as Democrats run on the same tired lies, campaign after campaign, the GOP has little if any chance of being even allowed to "evolve."

I've said it a million times--every election cycle they run on the same formula..."inequality" (income, gender, racial, LGBTQ), they ramp of the same issues on abortion and "the rich don't pay their fair share", they get elected, become completely mute on those issues, and then recycle the same issues come election time again--leaving that mess to be ran on again come election time lol.

Obama ran on the same crap 8 years ago. The income disparities are BIGGER than they've even been. Racial "inequality" by any metric is WIDER than it has ever been, the "gender-gap" continues to grow--and the funniest part about it...the Dem voters themselves never fault their own elected party for doing nothing TO END IT when they are in the driver's seat. And here's Hillary, running on the same thing AGAIN.

If anything, I give Trump credit for simply telling it like it is.

"It's all talk--she's been in this 30 years and she's done NOTHING."

"they only talk about these things when it's time to vote, but they get NOTHING done."

Last edited by itshim; 10-15-2016 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-15-2016, 12:47 PM

16,105 posts, read 10,771,225 times
I'm no fan of the GOP but Kasich is correct. Even Reince Priebus says the party has to evolve and move to the left to survive. it's not rocket science... The Trump campaign effort now is directed at destroying the party since he can't win. Even Gingrich is calling him out now. Trump's legacy will be a one party system with a bunch of angry old white guys standing on the sidelines.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:49 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,548,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
This isn't likely to go over very well with the base. Sort of the thing that Al Gore would refer to as "an unconvenient truth".

John Kasich interview with Business Insider - Business Insider
I'm no Kasich fan but he's right about this.

Good News! The Trump campaign has just parted ways with the RNC Chairman in Ohio. Since Trump's ground game is SOLELY through the RNC - I predict an even further swing towards Hillary's direction in Ohio.

What a drumpf.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:00 PM

24,014 posts, read 15,106,139 times
This is one Clinton voter who would have voted for Kasich in a NY minute.

People who think like Itshim, both parties, are so myopic they cannot even wonder how the rest of us evaluate political parties and what we expect or want from politicians.

My world is not divided up into all good guys or all bad guys.

I really do think that most of us could find common ground on about 80% of the issues.

There are a lot of people making money off of keeping that other 20% from being resolved. And staying in office making even more money.

Kasich looks for common ground.

Perhaps i'll divide them into people who seek solutions and people who profit by prolonging the fight.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:04 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,548,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This is one Clinton voter who would have voted for Kasich in a NY minute.

People who think like Itshim, both parties, are so myopic they cannot even wonder how the rest of us evaluate political parties and what we expect or want from politicians.

My world is not divided up into all good guys or all bad guys.

I really do think that most of us could find common ground on about 80% of the issues.

There are a lot of people making money off of keeping that other 20% from being resolved. And staying in office making even more money. Kasich looks for common ground.

Perhaps i'll divide them into people who seek solutions and people who profit by prolonging the fight.
I don't hate Kasich but I do NOT like his attempt to defund planned parenthood in OH; I do not like his attempt to skirt Roe V Wade by making it more and more difficult for women in OH to have access to safe and legal abortions; and I really hate the millions of dollars he funneled from the public school systems to the under performing Charter Schools in OH (of which there are MANY).

OH school system used to be top notch with top notch ratings - and they have trended downwards since Kasich took over.

Those are my main beef with Kaisch. I will say - he is sane and I admire his unwaivering refusal to endorse Donald Trump when he was getting great pressure to do so. Even Cruz caved but Kasich did not. I have to admire that.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:12 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm no fan of the GOP but Kasich is correct. Even Reince Priebus says the party has to evolve and move to the left to survive. it's not rocket science... The Trump campaign effort now is directed at destroying the party since he can't win. Even Gingrich is calling him out now. Trump's legacy will be a one party system with a bunch of angry old white guys standing on the sidelines.
If Trump leads the angry, old white guys off, what happens to those left behind?

Will the Religious Right stay or form their own party to cram their unconstitutional agenda down everyone's throat?

Bernie Sanders brought most of his folks into the Democratic party, but who knows if they will follow next time.

Libertarians could make a much better showing if they had a candidate who didn't seem like such a doofus.

Could it be that we are evolving into several parties that will need to form coalitions in order to govern?

Old 10-15-2016, 01:17 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,278,126 times
Kasich is done in the GOP and so are the Bushes.......this is about nationalism vs globalism....we all know what group Kasich is......they are dead.

Republicans were fed the Bush's doctrine of globalism and they woke up and no longer want it and Kasich didn't get the memo during the primaries and is in denial.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:20 PM

25,967 posts, read 22,149,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If Trump leads the angry, old white guys off, what happens to those left behind?

Will the Religious Right stay or form their own party to cram their unconstitutional agenda down everyone's throat?

Bernie Sanders brought most of his folks into the Democratic party, but who knows if they will follow next time.

Libertarians could make a much better showing if they had a candidate who didn't seem like such a doofus.

Could it be that we are evolving into several parties that will need to form coalitions in order to govern?
Trump is leading with more than angry, old white guys. It is the angry, old white guys that are getting left behind and spewing sour grapes. They ran tried and failed candidates in 2008 and 2012, men who never had a chance.

Well, if Hillary is elected, we will be moving toward dumping the constitution, hope that works for you. The Muslim population is exploding and she wants to bring in more, they are demanding sharia law and stating that trumps our constitution. It is amusing when some liberal starts in about "Religious Right", you haven't seen anything yet until you get a taste of Islam where religion and government are one. Wake up before it is too late.

Many of Bernie Sanders supporters will sit out the election in disgust particularly the younger ones who have seen Bernie screwed by the party. How disappointing to put in so much effort and walk away with his tail between his legs.

Libertarians and other 3rd parties have a lot of work to do before they are taken seriously.

The GOP was on life support, Trump pulled the plug and told them to breathe, which they are doing. If Trump isn't elected the GOP is through, no plug back in the wall this time. The Democrats are also in trouble having run perhaps the most corrupt human not in prison.

It is time for 3rd parties to work very hard to be ready for the coming elections, they can't start a few months prior, it will take a lot of work but can be done.

Kasich seemed like a Democrat to me.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:20 PM

5,849 posts, read 4,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Obama ran on the same crap 8 years ago. The income disparities are BIGGER than they've even been.
The question is whether the income disparity is bigger than it would have been had someone else been in office. You're using the wrong measuring stick.

Quote:
Racial "inequality" by any metric is WIDER than it has ever been,
Could you give an example of a single metric that shows this?

Quote:
the "gender-gap" continues to grow
No it doesn't. The gender gap is closing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...Index_rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies