Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:22 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Because coal mining in the west can be done with very few workers. It's highly mechanized. 25 guys can fill 1000 coal cars a day.
It's mechanized everywhere no one is using pick axes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 09:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Heating began to slide with the Clean Air Act and other local ordinances that caused a switch to oil or natural gas.
Ummmm no. Anthracite which is found only in Northeastern Pennsylvania is and was the primary coal used for residential heating. It produces no soot when burned and there other properties that make it ideal for home heating especially when compared to soft coal, wood or wood pellets.

It's an expensive coal to mine making it unsuitable for industrial heating. Anthracite production peaked around 1920 and had steady decline until the about 80's. Oil which was very cheap at the time(the 20's to the 60's) and much more convenient took over the market.

There is currently no restrictions anywhere I'm aware of for burning coal at least in the northeast. It can be used in a tightly packed residential neighborhood and they would never know the difference. It's not an issue.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:29 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
Here is a very funny (ironically so) article on how "green" Europe is importing massive amounts of US forest to provide energy.

Europe's is destroying US forests by using wood pellets as renewable biofuel - Business Insider

Old 11-11-2016, 01:16 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It's mechanized everywhere no one is using pick axes.
So the coal industry employs 25 guys in West Virginia? That's appropriate. Coal mines in the West have more people in the office than they have in the mine. If you are looking for coal to provide jobs, it's never going to happen.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:31 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm just trying to educate you on the topic, if you wish to be ignorant then so be it. I'm just some dumb hick right?
Greetings

You know about coal more than I do. What I see are the effects on health. You are not dumb, but you are stubborn.

You just want to shove coal down our throats and damn the consequences. You can keep it-enjoy it.

Leaving the health hazards up to the individuals who take their chances appears to be fine and dandy until they get sick and the rest of us have to pay for their issues. They ought to sign a release form stating they alone will bear the costs of their health problems and all other related issues including their dependents' support.

This "ignorant" flat land inhabitant still doesn't want any coal in her city.

I live in Arizona where the sun is plentiful. I have solar panels on my roof as well as a solar water heater. I'm delighted with both.

We don't want it and we don't need it.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:06 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Ummmm no. Anthracite which is found only in Northeastern Pennsylvania is and was the primary coal used for residential heating. It produces no soot when burned and there other properties that make it ideal for home heating especially when compared to soft coal, wood or wood pellets.

It's an expensive coal to mine making it unsuitable for industrial heating. Anthracite production peaked around 1920 and had steady decline until the about 80's. Oil which was very cheap at the time(the 20's to the 60's) and much more convenient took over the market.

There is currently no restrictions anywhere I'm aware of for burning coal at least in the northeast. It can be used in a tightly packed residential neighborhood and they would never know the difference. It's not an issue.

Will have to look things up and get back to you about restrictions.

Do know here in NYC places that burn coal for cooking (such as pizza ovens) recently were subject to new rules regarding filters and cleaning the exhaust air.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:14 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
I have one in my house. It's a niche but there may be as many as half a million households in the northeast heating with Pennsylvania anthracite coal. Anthracite is "smokeless" , the ashes which are mostly silicate have heavy metal values slightly above "dirt". They are fantastic for soil remediation in the garden if you have hard clay soil.

This is not mine but it could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQT6CVC2sOc
Thank you for the info.

I looked up anthracite ash and it turns out it contains Cadmium, a heavy metal associated with renal cell carcinoma.

I know this first hand because my spouse was exposed to cadmium that was part of the dirt on aircraft munitions parts. As a result, he developed renal cell carcinoma and lost one kidney. Others have experienced the same.

Putting that ash in soil is irresponsible. I'm glad I installed a water conditioner in the house to remove heavy metals from the water as transdermal exposure is a serious concern.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:59 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Here is a very funny (ironically so) article on how "green" Europe is importing massive amounts of US forest to provide energy.

Europe's is destroying US forests by using wood pellets as renewable biofuel - Business Insider
One more ignorant reporter writing a trash article. If you are not burning fossil fuels, whatever you do is carbon neutral.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Greetings

You know about coal more than I do. What I see are the effects on health. You are not dumb, but you are stubborn.
Based on your "come down off the mountain" comment I can only surmise that you have made the mistake of thinking I'm dumb. You say your concern is health, specifically respiratory disease you wish to attribute to coal?

If we are to examine the facts and I'm sure you will agree with this that within the last few decades asthma cases and other respiratory issues are on the rise. Part of that may be the result of it being diagnosed more but clearly something is amiss causing this.

Where the monkey wrench comes in to what you want to believe is as an aggregate the six most common air pollutants have been reduced by 63% as of 2015.

https://www.epa.gov/air-trends/air-q...tional-summary

Now I'm just some dumb ass sitting on the mountain but I may suggest that if you wish to solve the reason for this increase in respiratory disease you may want to look elsewhere than blaming coal or air pollution in general.

Look to your home... that insulation, air tight windows, Tyvek and the reliance on ducted climate control that easily harbors and moves indoor air pollutants. Things that have proliferated over the last 30 to 40 years. This of course is opinion of the clueless moron on the mountain without any reasoning or logic.

Since you live in AZ enjoy that ducted AC, I'm going to go turn the heat up on my thermostat provided by my coal boiler and baseboard heating.

Quote:
Leaving the health hazards up to the individuals who take their chances appears to be fine and dandy until they get sick and the rest of us have to pay for their issues.
When can I expect a check from you?

Relation of indoor heating with asthma, allergic sensitisation, and bronchial responsiveness: survey of children in South Bavaria | The BMJ

Old 11-11-2016, 01:45 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Based on your "come down off the mountain" comment I can only surmise that you have made the mistake of thinking I'm dumb. You say your concern is health, specifically respiratory disease you wish to attribute to coal?

If we are to examine the facts and I'm sure you will agree with this that within the last few decades asthma cases and other respiratory issues are on the rise. Part of that may be the result of it being diagnosed more but clearly something is amiss causing this.

Where the monkey wrench comes in to what you want to believe is as an aggregate the six most common air pollutants have been reduced by 63% as of 2015.

https://www.epa.gov/air-trends/air-q...tional-summary

Now I'm just some dumb ass sitting on the mountain but I may suggest that if you wish to solve the reason for this increase in respiratory disease you may want to look elsewhere than blaming coal or air pollution in general.

Look to your home... that insulation, air tight windows, Tyvek and the reliance on ducted climate control that easily harbors and moves indoor air pollutants. Things that have proliferated over the last 30 to 40 years. This of course is opinion of the clueless moron on the mountain without any reasoning or logic.

Since you live in AZ enjoy that ducted AC, I'm going to go turn the heat up on my thermostat provided by my coal boiler and baseboard heating.

When can I expect a check from you?

Relation of indoor heating with asthma, allergic sensitisation, and bronchial responsiveness: survey of children in South Bavaria | The BMJ
I am old enough to remember heating with coal stoves. Everything you touched had black soot on it. Just imagine what it did breathing it in. My Mom was constantly facing a losing battle trying to clean the house of it.

Oil heat is not much better. Natural Gas is far, far better method of heating, but that won't be creating very many jobs. What point in time do these people want to go back to? 1800's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies