Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the US. Each year 42,773 Americans die by suicide.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.23 per 100,000 U.S. citizens);
11,208 homicides (3.5 per 100,000);
21,175 suicides;
505 deaths due to accidental/negligent discharge of a firearm;
281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent", included in a total of 33,636 deaths due to "Injury by firearms", or 10.6 deaths per 100,000 people.

Of the 2,596,993 total deaths in the US in 2013, 1.3% were related to firearms.
Thank you.

Frankly...that's still a lot of deaths.

I appreciate the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 04:55 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thank you.

Frankly...that's still a lot of deaths.

I appreciate the information.
Check out Japan. Way more suicides than in the US, and not by gun.

Guns aren't the problem. Mental illness is.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:23 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
You quoted me, but did you read what I wrote? I called that "the empty rhetoric game" since no facts were presented. I was merely responding in kind.

I'd be happy to list facts, but before we begin, can you tell me what it would accomplish? Say we agree that X children are killed accidentally by gunfire, and Y children are saved by gun owners. Then what?
my point was that SCHOOL children are not being saved by guns, on the country and to say that is pretty laughable.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
my point was that SCHOOL children are not being saved by guns, on the country and to say that is pretty laughable.
SCHOOL children are very rarely killed by guns or saved by guns. Both are laughable.

When you read articles about "children" dying to gun violence, you're reading about children, teenagers, and adults up to age 21. They also omit drug and gang affiliations.

You can't quantify innocent children lost to gun violence any more than you can quantify children's lives saved by gun owners.

Empty rhetoric.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Check out Japan. Way more suicides than in the US, and not by gun.

Guns aren't the problem. Mental illness is.
Uh nope.

Guns are still a problem.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:12 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'll never understand why so many people want to carry guns around. I live on the South Side of Chicago and have never felt the need to carry a gun. I have one in my home though. Some of you are literally scared of your own shadows.
It's not about YOU. It isn't about what YOU feel. It isn't about where YOU live. If you have to ask me what it IS about, go read our Bill of Rights and our US Constitution. It's about us, not you. It's about saving, maintaining and cherishing The Gift that was paid for with American blood.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Uh nope.

Guns are still a problem.
If guns were the cause of suicides, Japan would be suicide-free. And yet they outpace us by almost 2:1. But by all means, ignore that fact. Suicide isn't caused by guns here any more than it's caused by rope or poison in Japan.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
If guns were the cause of suicides, Japan would be suicide-free. And yet they outpace us by almost 2:1. But by all means, ignore that fact. Suicide isn't caused by guns here any more than it's caused by rope or poison in Japan.
I never said guns were "the" cause of suicide; suicide was a (bad) attempt at a deflection from my argument, but ironically, though it didn't actually work on me, it did work on you.

Read back.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:34 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think you understand the implications especially if he serves 8 years. His first appointment to the court will restore the balance of power in the Supreme Court. Ginsburg is currently 83 years old, she would have to hold out at the very least until 87 or possibly 91 years of age and that's assuming a Democrat is elected after Trump. Stephen Breyer is 78....

He may be picking the replacements for these Justices and if so his election will have ramifications for many decades.
And THAT is one of the biggest reasons I didn't want HRC or another liberal in the White House this time.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I never said guns were "the" cause of suicide; suicide was a (bad) attempt at a deflection from my argument, but ironically, though it didn't actually work on me, it did work on you.

Read back.
Ok then. The discussion was about how disingenuous it is to include suicides in "gun violence". You said guns are still a problem like it's an objective thing. By all means, if guns are objectively a problem, quantify it. How bad of a problem is it? At what threshold are guns no longer a problem? Please include both sides of the equation, gun deaths and lives saved by guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies