Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,632 times

Advertisements

Ivanka and Jared will help shape the future of the Republican Party. Jared played a huge role in pulling off one of the biggest political upsets in our country's history. Very sharp guy

Old 01-09-2017, 05:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don't have a problem with Jared. I think he is a smart and talented guy. He is better than Eric Schmicht, an ex-CEO at Google.
Eric Schmidt was Obama's senior advisor? Just imagine, this entire time I thought it was Valerie Jarrett

Old 01-09-2017, 05:37 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
This is probably with the Republicans wanted to get rid of the ethics dept. Republicans have no ethics. It's against the nepotism law anyway. His highness can't do it....

Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Newsflash folks . This post doesn't require Senate approval, and likely doesn't fall under the nepotism laws .

A POTUS has the right to pick people he trusts . Simple as that . It's not as if he is just getting him in there so he can draw a government check . I don't really think he needs one .

Kushner really ran Trumps campaign that won with almost no serious budget and without RNC help. He knows something .
Newsflash---it is not as simple as that. Federal law and public perception will wreck this guy. If it doesn't fall under the nepotism law, it is by the tiniest technicality--the word 'agency', but don't think that means it will not be questioned. Every move Trump makes will be questioned and challenged by those who have the courage to overcome the bullyboy's threats.

And, btw, perhaps you have forgotten, but when the inexperienced Kushner ran the campaign (in the beginning) things went off the rails for Trump, which is why Manafort was hired.

Trump is going to push the envelope and skirt the law too far. He will be challenged sooner or later as he keeps thumbing his nose at federal law and as he gives an inexperienced kid a powerful position simply because he is a relative. I'm fairly certain this is how Saddam Hussein's sons became so powerful (explain the difference if you disagree). Christie was dumped because of this kid who did not earn his position and that's the same kind of power a dictator's son has.

"A public official may not appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position in the agency in which he is serving or over which he exercises jurisdiction or control any individual who is a relative of the public official."

"Public official" is defined in the law to include the president, and the statutory definition for "relative" includes son-in-law. Based on that alone, you might think it's a slam-dunk case to bar Kushner from working for his father-in-law at the White House..."

"Nepotism practices undermine the credibility of public officials, public confidence in government," "It can undermine morale of public employees. I just don't see any justification for carving out an exception to the White House."

"...But even if the Trump White House could find a way to circumvent the law, there's a perception cost. "I think the American public just feels there's something wrong about setting up a dynasty around you, having your family around you officially advising you,"

Anti-Nepotism Laws Might Prevent Donald Trump's Son-In-Law From Serving In The White House : NPR

Old 01-09-2017, 05:42 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Eric Schmidt was Obama's senior advisor? Just imagine, this entire time I thought it was Valerie Jarrett
No he was technical advisor to Hilary about the poll and voting prediction. Jared was the he same to trump. He accurately built a model to predict Trump surge over Hilary, eating Eric Schmicht. I never said he was senior advisor, but pretty damn close. He visited the White House often.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
This is probably with the Republicans wanted to get rid of the ethics dept. Republicans have no ethics. It's against the nepotism law anyway. His highness can't do it....
You think the Democrats have?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
But trump was against getting rid of it, so your saying he has ethics? Cool

Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Newsflash---it is not as simple as that. Federal law and public perception will wreck this guy. If it doesn't fall under the nepotism law, it is by the tiniest technicality--the word 'agency', but don't think that means it will not be questioned. Every move Trump makes will be questioned and challenged by those who have the courage to overcome the bullyboy's threats.

And, btw, perhaps you have forgotten, but when the inexperienced Kushner ran the campaign (in the beginning) things went off the rails for Trump, which is why Manafort was hired.

Trump is going to push the envelope and skirt the law too far. He will be challenged sooner or later as he keeps thumbing his nose at federal law and as he gives an inexperienced kid a powerful position simply because he is a relative. I'm fairly certain this is how Saddam Hussein's sons became so powerful (explain the difference if you disagree). Christie was dumped because of this kid who did not earn his position and that's the same kind of power a dictator's son has.

"A public official may not appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position in the agency in which he is serving or over which he exercises jurisdiction or control any individual who is a relative of the public official."

"Public official" is defined in the law to include the president, and the statutory definition for "relative" includes son-in-law. Based on that alone, you might think it's a slam-dunk case to bar Kushner from working for his father-in-law at the White House..."

"Nepotism practices undermine the credibility of public officials, public confidence in government," "It can undermine morale of public employees. I just don't see any justification for carving out an exception to the White House."

"...But even if the Trump White House could find a way to circumvent the law, there's a perception cost. "I think the American public just feels there's something wrong about setting up a dynasty around you, having your family around you officially advising you,"

Anti-Nepotism Laws Might Prevent Donald Trump's Son-In-Law From Serving In The White House : NPR
It's NPR, give it a break.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
Supposedly they're working with the OGE on this. I can see them pushing it through.

By the way, if you never checked out the OGE's tweetstorm to trump it's worth checking out. Unfortunately I believe the director's term is up this year - the thought of trump appointing anyone having to do with ethics is frightening.

U.S. Government Ethics Chief Was Behind Those Tweets About Donald Trump, Records Show : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
His Orangeness states "nepotism does not apply to POTUS".

Oh this is going to be *good*

Source: Jared Kushner to Serve as Trump Senior Adviser - NBC News
Kushner started his new job some time ago:

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s most trusted lieutenants have held talks with top advisers to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump in an attempt to avert a costly trade war between the neighbouring nations.

Mr. Trudeau’s principal secretary Gerald Butts, chief of staff Katie Telford and Canada’s ambassador to the United States, David MacNaughton, have met several times in Washington, in what have been described as bridge-building talks with Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump’s son-in-law, and Stephen Bannon, chief strategist and senior counsellor to the incoming Republican president.
PMO held talks with Trump team to avert trade war - The Globe and Mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies