Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:11 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
A dad lost a son, come on. Let your anger go.
Even taking the military aspect out of the equation, a parent losing a child as just about the very worst thing that can happen to someone. Being booed or jeered because the airline offered to let the man off early to catch another plane is beneath contempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 10:13 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Even taking the military aspect out of the equation, a parent losing a child as just about the very worst thing that can happen to someone. Being booed or jeered because the airline offered to let the man off early to catch another plane is beneath contempt.
Exactly!!!!!

and.. let's not pretend these people are all anti-war heros lOL

I bet they can care less about the poor dad and the poor soldier, or the war. They were just angry because the dad caused some inconvenience. They fly FIRST CLASS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:14 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You know nothing of my views or what I believe. Your post on the other hand makes clear what kind of person you are, Frank.
I know you believe military service grants privilege and that says all I need to know in regards to this thread.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:21 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Some clarification:

The flight originated in Sacramento, and was delayed taking off for about 45 minutes.

As a result, the plane would be arriving later in Phoenix.

Thus, when the plane landed in Phoenix, the pilot asked everyone to remain seated so the family of the deceased soldier could leave first to catch their next flight. The pilot of the next connecting flight was gracious enough to wait for the family before taking off.

The family was booed by some passengers when they were debarking.

Now, what needs more clarifying is exactly what the pilot said to the passengers. From what I read of various sources, the father himself doesn't seem to recall exactly, but thought the pilot mentioned the family's plight.

If so, that's disgraceful. This isn't about blind hero worship but about entitled a holes just being plain mean spirited.

What, it takes a few minutes for the family to disembark? I've been on flights where due to delays the pilot asked that those who had connecting flights be given priority, and I had no problems with that.

Again though I hope other passengers speak up to give the whole story.

If I was pilot I would have specifically mentioned the parents were gold star parents and that they were delayed and need to disembark first to catch the next flight to meet their son.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Yes those people who'd booed and hissed were rude (mean spirited, nasty, etc.) and if the son was killed in a car wreck or died of cancer, the family should be accorded the same privilege.
My point is military deaths aren't special.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:29 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes those people who'd booed and hissed were rude (mean spirited, nasty, etc.) and if the son was killed in a car wreck or died of cancer, the family should be accorded the same privilege.
My point is military deaths aren't special.
Why not head over to Arlington and tell those who died defending freedom that.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:29 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981
lol SOME people believe that just because they can fly first class, they are better than everybody else
Yes when in reality the only reason they are flying first class is because THEY PAID MORE $$$$$$!!!

Sad

Old 11-19-2016, 10:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A grieving Stewart Perry said that he and his family were forced to tears again when an announcement giving them special privileges on a flight elicited jeers from fellow passengers.

He told the Daily News that he, his wife and his daughter were delayed on an American Airlines flight from Sacramento to Phoenix, and were allowed to leave the plane first so they did not miss a connecting flight that brought them to the East Coast so they could reach Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Perry said that other passengers in the first class cabin hissed when the captain mentioned that everyone needed to remain seated because family and "military personnel" needed to leave, and added that he believed that at least some passengers had been told that the family members of a fallen soldier were aboard.

Some People Are so rude...

Father of slain soldier says he was booed on flight - NY Daily News
I have personally witnessed numerous instances of passengers booing and hissing when some passengers are given priority exit privledges over others. This was true in the 80's as it is now.

What's different now is that those who are offended by anything take to social media.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Why not head over to Arlington and tell those who died defending freedom that.
Why?

Old 11-19-2016, 10:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I know you believe military service grants privilege and that says all I need to know in regards to this thread.
Personally, I do.

I'll have to disagree with you on this.

Additionally, I've been on many many flights where people were given consideration for all sorts of things, coonecting flights, illness, disabled, children, etc, and I've never booed or hissed anyone. I did say something once about all the rude people jumping in the aisle when it was clearly requested that everyone remained seated while two groups were needing to catch connections.

I just don't understand why common courtesy and manners are disappearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies