Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:35 AM

6,619 posts, read 5,021,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Where did "you hear' Hamilton is shutting down, they are not going anywhere even Pence was lucky he could get a ticket.

The NFL is losing ratings but there are many reasons, no one said it's because of Hamilton.
Sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 09:30 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
King John was not Jesus.
I was comparing founders of religions.
Mohammed was a murderer and a pedophile. Jesus was not.
As for your claim that every U.S. president is a direct descendant of "John of Lackland," I'm not even going to go near that silliness.
You use an unverified marriage of Mohammed as cause to condemn 1.6 billion people even though marriage to a child was a common event even 500 years after the death of Mohammed when King John married a child. Morality is not cast in stone, it changes over time. But if you need more proof of your hypocrisy, then let's try and see you explain this and tell me why you don't hold all Christians responsible for these heinous acts?

Jesus is God, Christians believe that the Old Testament is the inspired the word of God, so Jesus is the God of the Old Testament:

Ezekiel 9:5-7
"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple."

Zephaniah 2:12-15
"You Ethiopians will also be slaughtered by my sword," says the LORD. And the LORD will strike the lands of the north with his fist. He will destroy Assyria and make its great capital, Nineveh, a desolate wasteland,

Old 11-23-2016, 09:59 AM

435 posts, read 432,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You use an unverified marriage of Mohammed as cause to condemn 1.6 billion people even though marriage to a child was a common event even 500 years after the death of Mohammed when King John married a child. Morality is not cast in stone, it changes over time. But if you need more proof of your hypocrisy, then let's try and see you explain this and tell me why you don't hold all Christians responsible for these heinous acts?

Jesus is God, Christians believe that the Old Testament is the inspired the word of God, so Jesus is the God of the Old Testament:

Ezekiel 9:5-7
"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple."

Zephaniah 2:12-15
"You Ethiopians will also be slaughtered by my sword," says the LORD. And the LORD will strike the lands of the north with his fist. He will destroy Assyria and make its great capital, Nineveh, a desolate wasteland,
Sorry, you need a primer on Christianity sir.

Jesus is the SON of God. There is a trinity in Christianity. The Son of God (Jesus), The Holy Spirit and God the Father.

The Son of God (Jesus) came to earth and died on the Cross to save your sins. He did not preach beating women, he did not marry multiple women, he did not promote violence. He was beaten, mocked and killed. He NEVER did those things to anyone.

You are quoting the Old Testament. That was before Jesus. Jesus's words and teachings are all found in the New Testament. While Christians do study the Old Testament, the focus of Christianity is absolutely the New Testament and Jesus is the model to follow. This is a very basic and universally understood component of Christianity.

There have been statistical studies of Muslim beliefs which clearly demonstrate that many Muslims do have major cultural and belief differences than Western societies. Specifically, supporting Sharia Law, not supporting equal rights for women and LGBT, among other things. Like I said before, a Hallmark commercial is not going to bridge some of the stark differences we are talking about here. Amazon way oversimplified this.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post

Jesus is the SON of God. There is a trinity in Christianity. The Son of God (Jesus), The Holy Spirit and God the Father.

The Son of God (Jesus) came to earth and died on the Cross to save your sins. He did not preach beating women, he did not marry multiple women, he did not promote violence. He was beaten, mocked and killed. He NEVER did those things to anyone.

You are quoting the Old Testament. That was before Jesus. Jesus's words and teachings are all found in the New Testament. While Christians do study the Old Testament, the focus of Christianity is absolutely the New Testament and Jesus is the model to follow. This is a very basic and universally understood component of Christianity.

There have been statistical studies of Muslim beliefs which clearly demonstrate that many Muslims do have major cultural and belief differences than Western societies. Specifically, supporting Sharia Law, not supporting equal rights for women and LGBT, among other things. Like I said before, a Hallmark commercial is not going to bridge some of the stark differences we are talking about here. Amazon way oversimplified this.
And yet, people seem to constantly need to be reminded of the two primary commandments according to Jesus.

They also need to be reminded that Jesus Himself was an adherent of the Old Testament.

Pretending otherwise shows a clear misunderstanding of Jesus and His Word.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:37 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
I'm not 'sir' but that's ok. I'm glad you mentioned the holy trinity let me explain to you what it means:
As we talk about the three persons of the trinity we are talking about one God. All three persons of the trinity are God. If you want to look at some verses, you could look at Deuteronomy 6:4, Galatians 1:1, John 1:1-18, and Matthew 28:19.

And in case you are not aware of it, Jesus did not condemn the old testament, in fact he claimed he would obey it “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17–18)

Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
There are peaceful Muslims who believe in women's rights and the rights of non-believers but there are millions and millions of Muslims that do not believe in any sort of equal rights for women or LGBT community. There are also large swaths of Muslims that don't believe in the separation of church and state. Trying to hide/gloss over the latter issues is incredibly one-sided and does nothing to solve the human rights injustices being committed in the name of Allah and according to the example of Muhammad.
There are peaceful Americans who believe in women's rights and the rights of non-Americans, but there are also millions of Americans who do not believe in any sort of equal rights for women or LGBT community. There are also large swaths of Americans that don't believe in the separation of church and state. Trying to hide/gloss over the latter issues is incredibly one-sided and does nothing to solve the human rights injustices being committed in the name of Jesus according to examples in the Bible.

So should other countries treat all Americans as if they are evil, horrible people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They did when I threatened to cancel when their 2-day shipping ended up being a week... Ironically they extended my Amazon Prime for an extra month which I won't use anymore... I thought that was a beautiful commercial by Amazon, but I guess you can feel however you want...
Because that is part of their policy. They do that for anyone with Prime who's shipping takes longer then expected. Sorry, Amazon doesn't think you are special.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,706,273 times
The free market has a way of weeding out the bad players and creating more competition to do so.
The cream rises to the top in every free market. But also the cream sours over time and new cream is made.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:18 PM

39,266 posts, read 27,666,911 times
nope

Old 11-23-2016, 03:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Boy, they are hard to boycott, but they have 2 major strikes against them:

1. Jeff Bezos owns WaPo which is nothing but an anti-Trump tabloid.
2. Their new ad tries to morally equate murderous Islam with peaceful Christianity
Why should I make my own life more difficult because the owner of Amazon also owns a newpaper

Pffft....

Old 11-23-2016, 08:01 PM

435 posts, read 432,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And yet, people seem to constantly need to be reminded of the two primary commandments according to Jesus.

They also need to be reminded that Jesus Himself was an adherent of the Old Testament.

Pretending otherwise shows a clear misunderstanding of Jesus and His Word.
I'm not sure you get my point. For example, the Christian children of the world are most likely not memorizing Ezekiel 9:5-7 (the verse provided by the other poster). Nope, they are likely memorizing John 3:16. Anyone that has spent a good deal of time in a typical Christian church will recognize this as a reasonable fact.

Honestly, I was taught that Jesus did look at things differently than the Old Testament. For example, the OT taught "eye for an eye" but Jesus most certainly taught to "turn the other cheek".

Also, I was taught that Jesus pretty much opened up Christianity to those others than Jews (or to the Gentiles as they called it). OT is a lot about God both protecting/punishing the Jews and getting them ready for the Savior. (Plus there is a TON of genealogy in the OT.) On the other hand, NT focus is salvation through Christ for all, not by works but by believing in Him.

I am sure there are other interpretations of what today's Christians focus on but this is my take from attending numerous Christian churches (Baptist, Reformed/CRC, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Catholic, Orthodox) in numerous states across the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies