Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:24 PM

435 posts, read 431,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are peaceful Americans who believe in women's rights and the rights of non-Americans, but there are also millions of Americans who do not believe in any sort of equal rights for women or LGBT community. There are also large swaths of Americans that don't believe in the separation of church and state. Trying to hide/gloss over the latter issues is incredibly one-sided and does nothing to solve the human rights injustices being committed in the name of Jesus according to examples in the Bible.

So should other countries treat all Americans as if they are evil, horrible people? .
Are you inferring that Muslims and Christians are currently on an equal footing when it comes to equal rights for women, LGBT, and separation of church/state?

Please provide statistics to back this up, otherwise your statement just seems confusing and kind of silly to me.

Honestly do you believe that the teachings of Jesus and Mohammad are the same in terms of violence and treatment of women? If so, why?

Jesus was very nice to the Samaritan woman at the well. He was kind to Mary and Martha. He stopped the stoning an woman who was an adulterer. Honestly, I do not believe Jesus ever said to beat your wife which is in contrast to Mohammad. Am I missing something?

My whole point is that Amazon is oversimplifying this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 04:34 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You use an unverified marriage of Mohammed as cause to condemn 1.6 billion people even though marriage to a child was a common event even 500 years after the death of Mohammed when King John married a child. Morality is not cast in stone, it changes over time. But if you need more proof of your hypocrisy, then let's try and see you explain this and tell me why you don't hold all Christians responsible for these heinous acts?

Jesus is God, Christians believe that the Old Testament is the inspired the word of God, so Jesus is the God of the Old Testament:

Ezekiel 9:5-7
"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple."

Zephaniah 2:12-15
"You Ethiopians will also be slaughtered by my sword," says the LORD. And the LORD will strike the lands of the north with his fist. He will destroy Assyria and make its great capital, Nineveh, a desolate wasteland,
As soon as you understand that the founder of Islam was a murdering pedophile and the founder of Christianity was not, get back to me.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:57 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
It is the right of every consumer to boycott whatever establishment they want for any reason they see fit.

If you don't like the message, don't spend your money there. I haven't gone into a Target store since they announced their (ridiculous) bathroom policy. Evidently a lot of customers felt the same way because Target lost almost $5 billion in value.

The point is, the power of your wallet can speak pretty loud, and that's what gets their attention.
Sure you can boycott any company for any reason. But does it make the reason you boycott the company valid? No. Does boycotting Target because they allow transgender people to use what bathrooms they feel comfortable with a valid reason? Not in my view, (and this is only one person's opinion which is obviously not shared by others). Don't use their bathrooms if it bothers you so much. Don't become transgender. It has no effect on your life, really. Is boycotting Target because their products are inferior in quality/overpriced or for poor customer service a valid reason? Yes. And so it is with OP's boycott of Amazon.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:04 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I try and support Best Buy over Amazon...Best Buy is probably the last store of it's kind left. They also price match Amazon so if the Best Buy has the same product, they will honor the Amazon price.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:17 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
As soon as you understand that the founder of Islam was a murdering pedophile and the founder of Christianity was not, get back to me.
lol awesome response

Old 11-24-2016, 10:27 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I try and support Best Buy over Amazon...Best Buy is probably the last store of it's kind left. They also price match Amazon so if the Best Buy has the same product, they will honor the Amazon price.
Target also price matches Amazon.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:28 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Boy, they are hard to boycott, but they have 2 major strikes against them:

1. Jeff Bezos owns WaPo which is nothing but an anti-Trump tabloid.
2. Their new ad tries to morally equate murderous Islam with peaceful Christianity
Why ? My personal opinion, if the company provides a service that can't be beat by their competitors, and they are doing nothing "illegal, immoral or fattening", as the old saying goes, why should I hold their political views against them.

I'm kind of tired of all the boycotts going around. It doesn't serve anyone well to look into everyone's politics before deciding who we're going to like, or dislike, or buy from, or sell to etc... Of course there may be exceptions in the cases of national defense etc..., but typically, I'd treat a persons political persuasion as a separate issue from my business or personal relationship with them.

I (I'm only speaking for myself here) look upon it was almost a form of attempted censorship on my part. I'll beat you into submission by not being your friend, or business partner or customer, or vendor....because you think about politics differently than I do. Personally, I think if you're bad enough....the market will determine your success or failure by your own business practices, and how well, or not, you serve your customers needs.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Boy, they are hard to boycott, but they have 2 major strikes against them:

1. Jeff Bezos owns WaPo which is nothing but an anti-Trump tabloid.
2. Their new ad tries to morally equate murderous Islam with peaceful Christianity
1) Yes, we know. Media with a viewpoint that isn't your is good. We'll ignore the fact that sources like NYT and Washington Post still conduct better journalism than sources like Breitbart, but no, we should definitely only complain about the one who's liberal. Because a populist right-wing clickbait factor is still at least right wing, right?

2) The ad where a priest and an imam are friends? Serioulsy? Wow, you're actually a bad person. That's really something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies