Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 06:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
All I am saying and I dont ever wish ill will or harm to your friend... is that the large percentage of locals on are on the side of law enforcement and the law enforcement and COE have given them every chance to stay there in a safer spot during the winter. If they choose not to follow then there is every right for law enforcement to move them. If the other side chooses violence then it is their choice.
They aren't the ones that will opt for violence.

Quote:
It is amazing how that same pipeline crosses the Missouri River north of Williston as well and is done. Why no outpouring then?
For the I don't know how many times. It was moved from its original location. Why?

Quote:
Because it is now the poor Native Americans and how they are being taken advantage of again by the government. Boo ho they are given so much money...but it is the tribal leaders who use the money for their own good and dont manage how the money is spent on the reservations.
I posted a link earlier of a woman in Iowa that was not Native American that was arrested on her land protesting this same pipeline. She is protesting the government forcibly taking her land and giving it to someone else.

This is about many things.

Quote:
Many people here have friends that are Native Americans. It is those there has never been an issue with as those that live on the reservations have a tough life and money that is sent to the reservation by the government is misued by tribal leaders. Plus bring in heads of other national NA organizations whose goal is political advancement of issues and who could care less about the common people that live there.
Take that up with your politicians.

Quote:
Those are the targets of this issue and the ones causing this to head in the direction it is heading. Not the general NA population, who 90+ percent are law abiding and just doing the best they can and do deserve our respect.
Protesting is a protected right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:10 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Sorry...my last post on this.

I support the Sioux nation at SR and at Spirit Lake. I have NA friends and co-workers. The folks on SR are good people (outside of the heads of SR). I support the people of SR to protest and the COE is giving them opportunities to do so in a controlled space where they can be taken care of during the winter. The locals have been thru a Dakota blizzard...how many from California or New York City or wherever brought in have. Is it risk losing their lives due to the cold and want many more to perish...or is it best to focus on one area where they can at least be safe and warm.

I dont believe personally that the people coming out there because they believe oil is bad and pipelines are bad care for the future of the SR reservation and its people. They care now because it fits what these outsiders believe in, but after its done they will go home. The good folks at SR that are being used by these others cannot and have little voice in the matter.

We shall see what happens....I do pray for the best for the Sioux nation.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:12 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They aren't the ones that will opt for violence.

For the I don't know how many times. It was moved from its original location. Why?

I posted a link earlier of a woman in Iowa that was not Native American that was arrested on her land protesting this same pipeline. She is protesting the government forcibly taking her land and giving it to someone else.

This is about many things.

Take that up with your politicians.

Protesting is a protected right.
I wish your friend safety out there. I am just typing what a lot of my friends and family are saying and I think in most regards how the majority of North Dakotans feel.

Have a good evening and we all want it to end well.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,126,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Well we know the majority of the Standing Rock tribe don't actually support the protest... which leaves the question of what people are actually fighting for? It's not for the tribe or their water, the tribe knows their water source is changing and this is going to be a non-issue.

Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council votes unanimously to ask Red Warrior Camp to leave

So much bad information and false narratives being pushed.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
It is the NA there that are the issue it is the outsiders that are the issues and should be dealt with accordingly. Like that woman from New York, it she wanted to participate fine but if she is injured then it is her fault for coming and engaging in activities such as what is occurring. There are many fine upstanding members of the Sioux nation and only a very very small percentage are involved, but more are involved from outside of the area and it are those that dont care what happens to the Sioux nation at that reservation. They will not have to stay and live there. Protesting is all good, and nothing wrong with that....but when on COE land that you can be taken off, with force if needed.
YES!

I'm glad the Corps has decided to shut down the camp. It is a safety issue not just with police but with winter. No temporary structure they could have built in such a short time would have provided adequate shelter for the entire winter, not to mention the possibility of fire hazards as their structures weren't exactly put up with safety in mind.

The natives on the reservation near me feel bad for the Standing Rock tribe, this whole thing has blown up into something many of them never wanted. The farmers and ranchers the out of staters have caused problems with are these people's neighbors. The businesses they spent the day blocking are the places they have to shop once all is said and done. The behavior from many out of state protesters could be seriously damaging the ties the tribe actually has with their neighbors, however that's something that I don't think they really care about.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:05 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Lol...."Free Speech Zone". The United States us supposed to be a free speech zone.

The protesters aren't leaving.
Protest is fine. Actions are not.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Protest is fine. Actions are not.
Actions are what created this country.

Rosa Parks should have moved to the back of the bus and just wrote a strongly worded complaint?

Old 11-25-2016, 07:34 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Actions are what created this country.

Rosa Parks should have moved to the back of the bus and just wrote a strongly worded complaint?
Rosa Parks was within her rights under the 13th through 15th Amendments of the Constitution.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:38 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
And she sure wasn't throwing molotov cocktails at law enforcement....

Old 11-25-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Rosa Parks was within her rights under the 13th through 15th Amendments of the Constitution.
With the right to protest also being protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies