Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 01:40 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wonder if Christ would have said, "This is OUR country, assimilate or get out" or "let that snake Clinton slither in". I doubt it very much.

But I'm going to tell you something my aunt told me when I was just a child -- "Christmas is what's in your heart."
Yeah, didn't Jesus say, "Love one another--oh, except for THOSE people over there...and those people over there...and, no, not those people, either..."

I think I gotta look that up again.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:43 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I always say "Merry Christmas". The only thing that bothers me is "X-Mas" but I don't get my panties in a bunch even then.

I agree with you on that.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:49 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Nope, that's not allowed unless their happiness directly coincides with the beliefs of the OP and other special snowflake Christians, who think it's their place to dictate to the rest of us what we're allowed to believe or celebrate and what we're not.

I swear, the biggest snowflakes on the planet are American Christians

I think Gandhi nailed it when he said "I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Old 11-23-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Small town America, they are loud and proud, with a church on every corner.
And so many sins being committed everyday. In fact, more people sinning than going to church.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:52 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Let's not forget about Thanksgiving tomorrow.

After that, Merry Christmas.

Black Friday can go eat a duck.
But watching folks trampling each other in pursuit of lower prices on cheap crap is such a festive start to the season of Peace & Love.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I had made myself get used to saying Happy Holidays because a few times I wished it to people they were so offended, saying "I'm Jewish." They couldn't've said just "Thank you."? Or "You too."? They just had to point out they were Jews?? So I just said "I'm sorry." Let them take that anyway they wanted. You know what????

BAH HUMBUG.
Perhaps when you say "Merry Christmas" you ought to be saying with actual caring about how others feel, rather than worrying so much about how you feel.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:13 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I always say "Merry Christmas". The only thing that bothers me is "X-Mas" but I don't get my panties in a bunch even then.

For that matter I have been wished a "Blessed Solstice" from a Pagan, to which I politely answered "Thanks; you too!" And; I live in Colorado ... home of the "Happy 4/20!"

To which I also answer "Thanks; you too!"

Whats wrong with entertaining somebody elses happiness for a brief second?
"Xmas" is widely frowned on, but its origins are quite innocent. X represents from the Greek letter "Chi," the first letter in the word "Χριστός." The English translation of Χριστός is "Christ." It's been around for centuries.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Oh, wait, can I say that? It's not Thursday yet.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
BTW: My neighbors are British citizens. Should I say Happy Thanksgiving to them? That would be slap in the face. Colonies, American Revolution, and all that stuff, you know.
Since when is Thanksgiving a celebration of the American Revolution? Was I supposed to be bringing a musket to Thanksgiving all these years? To make up for it, maybe I'll propose a dramatic reading of the United States Constitution this year. Oh, and instead of saying what we are grateful for this year, I'll have everyone state their favorite amendment before we start eating. Mine is the 19th amendment in case you were wondering.

Are the British even still upset about the American Revolution?

Old 11-23-2016, 04:37 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Since when is Thanksgiving a celebration of the American Revolution? Was I supposed to be bringing a musket to Thanksgiving all these years? To make up for it, maybe I'll propose a dramatic reading of the United States Constitution this year. Oh, and instead of saying what we are grateful for this year, I'll have everyone state their favorite amendment before we start eating. Mine is the 19th amendment in case you were wondering.

Are the British even still upset about the American Revolution?
Lol, the Pilgrims were British subjects. It was the Church of England they didn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies