Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 03:15 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The nations with national health care have far more regressive tax rates. It's the only way it works.
Canada funds theirs thru income tax. We could do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 03:18 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
True but with healthcare costs averaging a 6.5% increase year over year for around a decade with inflation around 2.2%, the current rise is unsustainable. Basically they need price controls or the healthcare industry will literally bankrupt the rest of the country. I might be willing to try a few free market solutions first but most don't seem to likely to work.
It's pretty hilarious how everyone says "free market doesn't work." That's probably because the demand is "oh, we can have free market, but I have to receive all of the best care and be able to afford it." That's not how the free market works. For example, it's not "free market" if you say "we all get BMW 7 series cars and we all have to be able to afford them, now let's see how the free market does that." People always do this dumb thing where they go "here's my $65, that covers everything right?"

And if you say, "well, why shouldn't I get the best of everything??" you won't. Because that mentality will bankrupt the system and you'll end up getting rationed healthcare and death panels. If not for you, then for your kids. So I hope they enjoy the gift you're giving them.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:19 PM

I would assume we would see some GDP growth if we created public healthcare as it would remove one of the risks of starting your own business as well as a huge financial relief on the middle class.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
It's pretty hilarious how everyone says "free market doesn't work." That's probably because the demand is "oh, we can have free market, but I have to receive all of the best care and be able to afford it." That's not how the free market works. For example, it's not "free market" if you say "we all get BMW 7 series cars and we all have to be able to afford them, now let's see how the free market does that." People always do this dumb thing where they go "here's my $65, that covers everything right?"

And if you say, "well, why shouldn't I get the best of everything??" you won't. Because that mentality will bankrupt the system and you'll end up getting rationed healthcare and death panels. If not for you, then for your kids. So I hope they enjoy the gift you're giving them.
It's your health if your sick and go to the hospital you end up with $35,000 in debt at no choice to you. The free market does not apply to healthcare as there is no way to make a smart choice about it when you in the lower 70% of the economy.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:23 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You are hilarious! Wait until America wakes up this morning and sees they have such an expert, guiding the re-write of the disaster Obamacare.
You people lost big time mainly because of your view of healthcare. Deal with it.
While he doesn't write the law, in 2009, he introduced the "Empowering Patients First Act" so he has plans on what he would like to see and having a specific plan is probably why Trump selected him.

Also, Price happens to also be close with House Speaker Paul Ryan, who he succeeded as chair of the Budget Committee. Both of the men have similar attitudes on health policy, including overhauling Medicare and Medicaid. He would likely work with Ryan to come up with a road forward and Ryan is known to be a supporter of replacing Medicare with vouchers.

In my opinion, replacing Medicare with vouchers would be a death sentence for millions of seniors. I have seen rough estimates that people used 95% of their health care in the last 5% of their lives. In other words, they would be seen as a high risk/high expense for insurance companies so I doubt a voucher would go far towards buying a policy on the open market. Those policies would also likely have a high deductible which someone on a fixed income may well not be able to afford.

I understand that we don't know precisely why they plan on proposing but there is an identifiable danger lurking and it behooves seniors to sound alarm bells to let them know they won't go down without a fight.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
It's your health if your sick and go to the hospital you end up with $35,000 in debt at no choice to you. The free market does not apply to healthcare as there is no way to make a smart choice about it when you in the lower 70% of the economy.
Yeah, the free market actually does apply to healthcare and has for 90% of the existence of this country and for 95% of the existence of the world. Only now, we have people such as yourself who are like "well, my personal health is surely worth at least $2 million ...I mean, not of my money, but of everyone else's."

Old 11-30-2016, 03:35 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Canada funds theirs thru income tax. We could do the same.

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/si..._tax_shift.pdf

Regressive income taxes.

"Canada’s tax system is comprised of a variety of measures and programs ranging from personal income tax and local property taxes to payroll premiums to commodity taxes such as the GST/HST. And each has a distinct impact on individuals and families at the top, middle, and bottom of the income ladder. Over the last ten years, the tax impact on the lowest earners has increased, while it has decreased on the wealthiest Canadians."

Old 11-30-2016, 04:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm arguing yes. The healthcare industry which is not only a big donor but a big employer lobbied against. There was bipartisan support to fight it. Despite most people thinking that Obama could have slammed thru anything he couldn't it's still politics and compromises are made.
Yes he could have. It's exactly what Reagan did. Obama had 70% approval rating. If he hadn't seen it below him if he had really wanted to push this he could have taken the argument to the people.

Quote:
If this year was like any other political year I would have little worry about medicare etc. But obviously things are currently not as they seem so it's a possibility that does not normally exist.
If Trump decides to now ignore the people he will end up in the same position as Obama did.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
I've argued many times that everyone is going to have to give up something to get something.

Quote:
The thing no one (or very few) want to admit is that health care is rationed now. None of them will pay for everything.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've argued many times that everyone is going to have to give up something to get something.
Why is that? For example, people who have private insurance are the ones who fund a large portion of healthcare. Why should they give up anything? That's not a compromise, that's a screw job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies