Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The point being that you do have a lot at stake in this.

The one thing that will stop the nonsense of Ryan (and Price) is that all their plans hinge totally on the expectation that those on Medicare will purchase the market based Advantage plans. That won't happen. Guaranteed it won't happen, the vouchers don't pay enough to make up the price differences. Insurance companies know this, they aren't fools like Ryan. The hospitals know it too.

A transition plan for seniors won't work either. Pull out the foundation bricks, the entire building collapses.

Very well could be Medicare will destroy Paul Ryan rather than being destroyed. A $600bil a year industry isn't just going to sit around and let a slimy creep like Ryan destroy them..
Even if it affects us, so what? There's nothing we can do about it. The election is over. If anything, we as a nation deserve Trump and Ryan. Just let them do their thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:27 AM

1,285 posts, read 594,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Even if it affects us, so what? There's nothing we can do about it. The election is over. If anything, we as a nation deserve Trump and Ryan. Just let them do their thing.
People's health depend upon these things.
So just sitting back and 'do nothing' is simply not feasible.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
I didn't vote for Trump but I am most certainly glad I'm not as bitter as some obviously are that he won.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
People's health depend upon these things.
So just sitting back and 'do nothing' is simply not feasible.
You haven't answered my question. What can we do? Bitching about it just makes us sound whiny. The right pretty much has a total victory in this election. Let them do whatever they want.

Speaking as a millennial, I'm beginning to hate my own generation. A lot of millennials couldn't be bothered to go out and vote and a lot of them casted their votes to 3rd party candidates like the ***** Jill Stein. And then when Trump won, they whine about it.

I personally know 6 millennials who casted "protest votes" and now they whine and whine and whine that Trump won.

I say we deserve Trump and Ryan. Let them do their thing.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:06 AM

1,850 posts, read 822,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Here's a graph that shows HealthCare spending on the left, and Life Expectancy on the right.
Only 2 countries on this graph don't have universal health care (US and Mexico).
Every time someone puts up one of these graphs, I always wonder aloud why people aren't going to, for example, New Zealand for their healthcare needs.

P.S. Before anyone attempts to say "you can't go somewhere for your healthcare needs!", yeah, you can. Lots of foreigners come here for healthcare, and not just Canadians and Mexicans.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,430,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Seniors will be shopping for policies on the open market. I hope they think it's funny, this is happening folks.

You have dozens of posts bashing seniors on Medicare and if I remember correctly calling for them to pay more. I can go back and pull them if you like.

Why are you suddenly a defender of Medicare?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Every time someone puts up one of these graphs, I always wonder aloud why people aren't going to, for example, New Zealand for their healthcare needs.

P.S. Before anyone attempts to say "you can't go somewhere for your healthcare needs!", yeah, you can. Lots of foreigners come here for healthcare, and not just Canadians and Mexicans.
Yes, because it is so cheap to just stand up and go to these other places around the world, leaving behind your family, bills, and job.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 AM

1,180 posts, read 780,342 times
"To see your enemies driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...."

This is The Trump.

PLEASE tell me y'all have seen Conan.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:21 AM

1,285 posts, read 594,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post

The graphs are useful for context.
Since we are discussing essentially, the future of healthcare in the us.

Certainly people can go abroad for healthcare, however there are practical considerations that make that unavailable for many. For example the added costs of flights and accomodation.
Investigative procedures usually result in multiple visits that can span weeks, even months.
Can you take time off work or out of your life to fly to New Zealand for every visit?
It's unrealistic.

But the real benefit of comparing health systems is this.
All people need health care, regardless of where they are from.
There is nothing unique about Americans in their healthcare needs, only the provision of that care and it's cost.
We don't have to re-invent the wheel each time healthcare comes into focus.
We get to borrow the good ideas of others.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:27 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,801,834 times
The only people who will be hurt by Tort reform are lawyers. Lawsuits impose an enormous cost on health care. The direct cost of paying lawsuits and settlements is just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the costs come from the unnecessary tests and procedures that doctors have to do to protect themselves in lawsuits.

Arbitration panels could do all the good that lawsuits do and eliminate all the bad. Whenever you hear an advocacy group made up to disguise that it is a lawyers' front group say how bad some reform is for patients, hold on to your wallet. They are looking out for themselves and themselves only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies