Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Totally dumb concept.

I'm sure that some gleefully cheering this on, are the same types of people that applaud when someone threatens to burn the Koran, or claps when other countries flags get burned.

Yet Old Glory gets burned, and they scream bloody murder. Whatever happened to snow flakes and being too P.C.?

Pure hypocrisy.

Americans didn't die and bleed so that people would go to jail for burning the flag. That's the kind of nonsense that happens in places like North Korea.

Too bad that irony is lost on the armchair 'patriots.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I smell a police state coming on.
It's been coming on for years.

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No. Why do you feel the need to jump off a cliff to defend something you can't defend?
no what?

well, if somebody want to take steps to prevent a potential arson, who are you to stop them?

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default Burning w/o a permit the solution

nothing is going to happen to flag burners. Trump speaks as a citizen, not a politician.

Who hasn't said or had a family member say these flag burners need to be locked up.

That is rhetoric.

Flag burners need to be fined for endangering public saftey by starting a fire.

don't know how they get away with burning w/o a permit. Seriously!

The EPA could come down o them for polluting

Old 11-29-2016, 10:36 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think you do.
I think you believe free speech is only allowed if you agree with it.

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
.. I want to add, if a Vet or a civilian Takes Action to Stop Protesters Defacing the Flag, this vet or civilian shouldn't be arrested. Every action, there is a reaction. (as long as he/she doesn't hurt anybody. right?) After all, everyone has the right to Take Steps to Prevent Arson.
Are they arrested now (as long as he/she doesn't hurt anybody?)

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It's definitely not settled law that flag burning is constitutional. I honestly don't believe the framers would have intended to permit such a thing. The SC can revisit this & it could easily go the other way and overturn the 1989 ruling.

Any country has a compelling interest in respect for its flag.
We were not supposed to be just any country. Respect for the flag is understanding that others can see it differently.

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
I think you do.
And yet, you're the one who advocates assault to prevent free speech. As long as no one gets hurt, right? And you get to define "no one gets hurt"?

The truth is we are ALL hurt when free speech is under assault.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
.. I want to add, if a Vet or a civilian Takes Action to Stop Protesters Defacing the Flag, this vet or civilian shouldn't be arrested. Every action, there is a reaction. (as long as he/she doesn't hurt anybody. right?)
I have a problem with this on many levels.

1. It is directly supporting the right of one individual to infringe on the liberty of another when they have no right to do so.

2. Every person who serves swears an oath to protect the Constitution and yet we have countless cases over the years of our own elected officials violating it over and over and over. Why would we allow them to attack an individual over a flag the protester owns while they have failed to meet their oath on the numerous occasions throughout our history where they did not protect against the infringements on the Constitution?

See, we have a lot of problems here and there are no innocent parties. This is one of those issues of "pull the plank from your own eye before you pick the spec from another". Our elected officials have failed their oath, our soldiers have failed their oath, the people have failed their duty. There are no guiltless parties here.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And yet, you're the one who advocates assault to prevent free speech. As long as no one gets hurt, right? And you get to define "no one gets hurt"?

The truth is we are ALL hurt when free speech is under assault.
This is lame. I said

:as long as they dont hurt anybody:

So stop the fake outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies