Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 10:31 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,911,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You haven't been paying attention. This country has been on the road to fascism for decades. So when you say "what this country was designed to be" it all depends on who you ask. Just because you think it was designed to promote equality, justice and freedom for all doesn't mean that everyone agrees with you. Is it the Statue of Liberty or Statue of Bigotry? A lot of people have no use for liberty, as evidenced by the election of Donald Trump.

This is just the beginning, Trump is preparing the groundwork with these Tweets. Within Trump's first year I predict that our intelligence agencies will be tasked to further enhance an electronic dossier system for every American, to be able to identify, track, and "protect" us from internal "enemies". Remember, Trump's mentor was Roy Cohn who was Senator Joseph McCarthy's right hand man - they learned from the same guy. Trump will have a LOT more opportunity as President to implement this system than McCarthy ever had, with modern tools and vast powers of surveillance that our old friend Joe never considered in his wildest dreams.
Except the problem with the Communists were that they were actively seeking the eventual overthrow of this nation. We aren't talking about people who just had opinions, we are talking about people who worked with others to promote the process of communism in this country and that is a direct attempt to overthrow it.

Some idiot throwing a tantrum burning a flag is not the problem. Groups of people organizing to make fundamental changes to this country that is counter to its liberty based design is an attack on it and the peoples liberty there in. This should be watched for, it should be discouraged by the people and shunned, not flag burning or an unwillingness to salute.

Though you would disagree for it is the progressives who are an actual enemy to this country who have tried to change it away from its founding and who have no respect for individual liberty.

Trump supporters are just angry and over compensating for the years of the progressives urinating on everything this country stood for, so don't think you will find support with me, we are not like minds nor are we on the same side. I am against you just as much as I am against those who would violate liberty as such has been discussed in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,331,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
.. I want to add, if a Vet or a civilian Takes Action to Stop Protesters Defacing the Flag, this vet or civilian shouldn't be arrested. Every action, there is a reaction. (as long as he/she doesn't hurt anybody. right?)
Why do you hate free speech?

68,360 posts, read 54,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Its about time and it should be a longer prison sentence .In more masculinist countries its a much harsher punishable offense. South Koreans can be sentenced up to 10 years in prison for desecrating the flag, Argentinians face one to four years in prison if they publicly insult the flag. China is 5 years, India 3 years for burning a flag. Israel is 3 years, in Turkey burning a flag is 3 years in prison

It would be good to see this happen, the miltary and police start really going after these leftist poofs and fake communists/anarchists/blm creeps and anti american scum

This kind of crazy nationalist talk is exactly why I voted for trump
So, making America more like Korea or China would be part of making it great again?

73,180 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If it was up to him, half the nation would be in jail.
I smell a police state coming on.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,463,694 times
It's definitely not settled law that flag burning is constitutional. I honestly don't believe the framers would have intended to permit such a thing. The SC can revisit this & it could easily go the other way and overturn the 1989 ruling.

Any country has a compelling interest in respect for its flag.

42,732 posts, read 29,958,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the flag, the monuments, the constitution, all represent our great nation

defacing any of them is not freedom of speech , its vandalism

burning the flag is wrong

Retired Combat veteran
Protest is protected.

Vandalism isn't. But there is just one Lincoln Memorial. There are billions of flags. Because the flags are just symbols. And destroying a symbol is protest. Protest that is protected as free speech. Free speech is right.

79,908 posts, read 44,355,314 times
Quote:
.. I want to add, if a Vet or a civilian Takes Action to Stop Protesters Defacing the Flag, this vet or civilian shouldn't be arrested. Every action, there is a reaction. (as long as he/she doesn't hurt anybody. right?)

After all, everyone has the right to Take Steps to Prevent Arson.
No. Why do you feel the need to jump off a cliff to defend something you can't defend?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:34 AM

39,341 posts, read 27,740,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Why do you hate free speech?
I think you do.

68,360 posts, read 54,571,497 times
Quote:

After all, everyone has the right to Take Steps to Prevent Arson.
And? Has arson been labeled a protected right by the SCOTUS?

9,019 posts, read 14,331,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Any country has a compelling interest in respect for its flag.
When you stop allowing it to be Bubba's do-rag, or bikinis, or curtains, you let me know, and we can discuss again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies