Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 02:25 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
On what are you basing that assertion?
Were you not around for the bailouts? Some estimate as much as $20 TRILLION was doled out, including to foreign companies. We will never know for sure because the Fed has never been audited, but their balance sheets exploded with all the newly created money meant for the richest in society.

I could never be angry about welfare or poor Americans being subsidized when our central bank subsidizes the richest and most powerful people and companies in society with zero accountability.

Some of us have to work for our income, and that often includes the poor. Those that collude with our Government and Central Bank rip off TRILLIONS without a peep from most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 03:50 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Were you not around for the bailouts? Some estimate as much as $20 TRILLION was doled out, including to foreign companies. We will never know for sure because the Fed has never been audited, but their balance sheets exploded with all the newly created money meant for the richest in society.
$20 Trillion to foreign companies? No. But the the Fed DID bail out foreign investors and foreign governments who bought Fannie and Freddie MBS. To the tune of $2 Trillion...

The Federal Reserve created $2 Trillion in QE to buy Fannie and Freddie MBS, and is just going to let those $2 Trillion in Fannie and Freddie MBS roll off their balance sheet as they mature, paid or not. Meanwhile, $2 Trillion in QE was artificially injected into the economy, taxpayers are paying the interest on that $2 Trillion in additional debt (US Treasury Bonds were likely created to finance that $2 Trillion in Fannie and Freddie MBS purchases), and the $2 Trillion in artificial QE injected into the economy has devalued the US $.

Proof:

The Federal Reserve's Agency (Agency = GSE: Fannie and Freddie) MBS (Mortgage-Backed Securities) in 2008: $0
FRB: H.4.1 Release--Factors Affecting Reserve Balances--December 4, 2008

The Federal Reserve's current Agency (GSE: Fannie and Freddie) MBS: $1.74 Trillion
https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/current/

And WHY would Fannie and Freddie need a $2 Trillion bailout? Because HUD, as their self-described regulator, required that 50+% of the mortgages Fannie and Freddie financed be made to low-income, high-risk, and/or credit-compromised borrowers:
Quote:
"Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) in the secondary mortgage market, are the two largest sources of housing finance in the United States. They fund these mortgages by purchasing loans directly from primary market mortgage originators, such as mortgage bankers and depository institutions, and holding these loans in portfolio, or by acting as a conduit and issuing mortgage-backed securities (MBS), which are then sold in the capital markets to a wide variety of investors.

...HUD is the mission regulator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and a major aspect of this regulation involves setting minimum percentage-of-business goals for the GSEs’ mortgage purchases. These housing (or lending) goals deal with the enterprises’ support for low-income lending and lending in underserved geographic areas."
https://www.huduser.gov/publications/pdf/gse.pdf

Read the document and the increasingly higher percentage "Affordable Lending" mortgage purchase goals set by the Clinton/Cisneros HUD.

More info on how the $2 trillion mortgage bailout happened:
De facto bailout for Freddie and Fannie? - Roosevelt Forward

Oh, and just for grins... tens of thousands of those low-income, high-risk, and/or credit-compromised borrowers who are already 5+ years behind on their mortgages will get their homes for free because the statute of limitations will expire or has already expired on foreclosure:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/30/bu...ires.html?_r=0

The federal government itself took down the economy with their stupid "Affordable Lending" policies. Even Democrat Barney Frank admits it:

Asked about the government's affordable housing goals compelling Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac before the crisis to devote more than half their portfolios to riskier nonprime mortgages for low-income borrowers, Barney Frank blurted out: "No more goals, no more telling the private sector how to invest in the housing market.

https://books.google.com/books?id=15...als%22&f=false

Let that sink in... "No more telling the private sector how to invest in the housing market."

"Telling"...

The federal government is NOT the answer. They just make everything WORSE.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How is it a "distraction" if MUCH more of my taxes go to war profiteers and banksters?

Maybe I don't want MY earned money to be spent on YOUR pet projects in foreign nations across the World.
Well we can't talk about any other government waste. Only the supposed waste of helping the poor. They are an easy target.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
That means I win.
LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 12-08-2016, 06:16 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well we can't talk about any other government waste. Only the supposed waste of helping the poor. They are an easy target.
LOL, "the supposed waste." This thread should be educational for everyone in that you can see that liberalism is about self-enrichment at the expense of others.

- When people say that the poor are buying soda with food stamps, the left says that they don't care what they buy. That exposes the lie that they actually care about the poor's nutrition.

- When people say that the poor are buying lobsters with food stamps, the left says that you buy lobsters. That exposes the lie that they care about the taxpayers.

- When people say that the poor should just be given food instead of money, the left claims that would be much more costly. That exposes the lie that they care about waste and corruption.

In fact, the only thing the left cares about is creating a gigantic web of redundant programs that oddly don't work while spending billions of dollars every year, but which support thousands of liberals in high-paying, low-skill jobs with pensions that the taxpayers support. The poor are the gift that never stops giving to the left. That's why every year there are more students who need school lunch -- keep that in mind, that in liberal America, the majority of parents are incapable of even feeding their children lunch. That's what they want you to believe. Every liberal on this thread has argued some empty sob story about some mythical person who had a job for 30 years, lost it, and then was penniless, destitute, homeless, and unable to afford Wonder Bread the next week. That while grinning at the reality of the so-called poor buying better food than some taxpayers. Their only response to that is "hey, maybe you'd also like to get on the program!!"

Old 12-08-2016, 06:19 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
LOL, "the supposed waste." This thread should be educational for everyone in that you can see that liberalism is about self-enrichment at the expense of others.

- When people say that the poor are buying soda with food stamps, the left says that they don't care what they buy. That exposes the lie that they actually care about the poor's nutrition.

- When people say that the poor are buying lobsters with food stamps, the left says that you buy lobsters. That exposes the lie that they care about the taxpayers.

- When people say that the poor should just be given food instead of money, the left claims that would be much more costly. That exposes the lie that they care about waste and corruption.

In fact, the only thing the left cares about is creating a gigantic web of redundant programs that oddly don't work while spending billions of dollars every year, but which support thousands of liberals in high-paying, low-skill jobs with pensions that the taxpayers support. The poor are the gift that never stops giving to the left. That's why every year there are more students who need school lunch -- keep that in mind, that in liberal America, the majority of parents are incapable of even feeding their children lunch. That's what they want you to believe. Every liberal on this thread has argued some empty sob story about some mythical person who had a job for 30 years, lost it, and then was penniless, destitute, homeless, and unable to afford Wonder Bread the next week. That while grinning at the reality of the so-called poor buying better food than some taxpayers. Their only response to that is "hey, maybe you'd also like to get on the program!!"
That's actually a very astute observation. Liberals buy self-worth by spending other people's money.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's actually a very astute observation. Liberals buy self-worth by spending other people's money.
Liberals are like the homeless guy who has a "will work for food" sign on the side of the road. Their message really tugs at your heartstrings, so you pull over and go "hey, want to paint my garage and I'll feed you?" And then you realize they were lying the whole time. And are alcoholics.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:57 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:

Let me burst that hate filled bubble for you:

I'm a Conservative, not a liberal. I am for the 2nd Amendment, I am against abortion, I have voted for Republicans in every single election that I've been allowed to vote, I am against illegal immigrants being granted amnesty or a "path to whatever horsecrap people on the left want to give them", I'm against allowing all of these refugees in to our country, I'm against hiking up minimum wage or even for a federal minimum wage, I hate marijuana and all other drugs, I'm for businesses getting relief when it comes to taxes and regulations, I do not want to tax the hell out of the wealthy just "because they have more money", I believe everyone who is able should find a way to make a living...I voted for Trump to let the establishment know that we were sick of their crap, and I can not stand Obama or Hillary, and think that what they have done, and what they intended to do would completely and utterly destroy our country. I support our troops, I am a veteran, I agree in building a wall, I agree that we need a strong military.

I also like the government to be involved as little as possible, but realize that the government is needed in some areas. As has been proven, as much as we would love it if charity worked, there's not enough people who care to help out through charity. There's too many who think that anyone who had a stumble in life are "lazy, stupid, drug users, or alcoholics".

By the way, charity can be abused, as well, so what's your solution for that?

I have given a LOT to people in need, even when I didn't really have the means to do it. I have donated, I have gone in with someone, handed them a cart in the store and told them to buy what they need. I paid for it at the register. More than once. So yes, I have put my "money where my mouth is", I have dipped in to my own pockets and given, freely.

I live in reality.

And reality is, even with life insurance, even with homeowners insurance, even with car insurance, even with health insurance, things happen to people in life that destroy everything that they have done and worked for.

You and others on here have this preconceived notion that everyone who gets assistance is lazy, stupid, useless piles of crap who are all on drugs or drink too much alcohol.

That is not reality.

There is a percent on welfare who do abuse the system. It is true that people get assistance and then go out to their giant, shiny new SUVs, and/or wear better clothes than I do, have their hair and nails done, keep having kids after being given assistance, who don't and will not work, who don't and will not even try to get out of it, who will blame everyone but themselves for anything.

There's also another percent that have done everything that they could to make their own way in life, but something happened. Something wiped them out. It wasn't because they were "irresponsible" or "lazy" or "stupid" or "on drugs" or "alcoholics" or spent all their money on cigarettes and scratch tickets, or didn't go to college, or even want to live like that.

Reality is, life is not as scripted as you all would like to believe.

You all acting like government assistance is just given, no questions asked, is the dumbest thing I've ever heard someone believe. When my sister's husband got sick with pneumonia, almost f-en DIED, was in the hospital for over a month, she started to look in to getting some kind of help, any kind of help. She can't work, she has MS. She is disabled. She can't even walk down a single fricken step without help. She used to have a business. She's college educated and ran her own business and did very well with it. He works 2 jobs. They have a son that just started college a year ago. They have another son who is still in high school. She's not stupid. Her husband isn't stupid. He's always gone, working.

When he got sick, no money came in. He has insurance. His job with a very big company has insurance for their workers. None of that kicked in because it was unknown at the time if he would be returning to work, or if he would take a turn for the worse and not make it. He didn't lose his job, they paid him the massive amount of sick time that he had accrued over the years. He didn't use his sick time. It rolled over, year after year after year. But do you know how they paid? They paid the equivalent of 2 weeks work per month while he was in the hospital, and while he recovered. He didn't come out of the hospital after a bit over a month and just hope right back on to the job, he had to recover. He had tubes coming out of his neck. There were oxygen tanks set up in their home, and medical staff would come to the house three times a week to check on him. Guess what? His stupid Obamacare didn't cover that. They had to get Medical, which is CA's "welfare handout" medical insurance. That was on top of the health insurance from his job.

According to you, it's their own fault that despite all of the insurance that they have, despite him being with his job for 20 years, despite the fact that she could not help it that she had MS, they couldn't pay the $500,000 bill.

Yes. That's how much their hospital bill was. Insurance from work covered some of that, Medical covered the in home expenses, (which were cheaper than him staying in the hospital for another 2 months to recover), but they still owed. And had only partial pay coming in for a couple of months, and then NO PAY coming in for the month after that. Didn't take long at all to wipe them out.

"They should have saved...blah, blah, blah."

Again, she has MS. A lot of their money, even with health insurance, goes to pay for her treatments. She has scans of her brain all the time. I sat in the waiting room at the hospital one of those times because she hates those things so much and knowing someone is in the waiting room just down the hall relaxes her. She's had multiple tests done on her. She has very expensive medicine that she has to take that insurance does NOT completely cover. Even before Obamacare, their insurance was unwilling to cover a large portion of it. They have to pay out of pocket. A one month supply of her shots costs a lot of money.

But according to you, they are lazy, stupid, drug users, alcoholics, or made bad choices. Yes, what a choice for her to have MS. What a choice for him to almost die...and I mean that, he literally almost died of that pneumonia. Then she would have life insurance...but how long does that last? She can't fricken work! How long do you think that was going to last with her ridiculously expensive mediation and treatments that she has to undergo, for the rest of her life.

So do not even sit there and talk about how you know anything. You don't know jack spit. People sometimes need help.

I find it funny how some on the right, my fellow Republicans, scoff and mock those who put up GoFundMe pages "for anything and everything" "they were irresponsible and put up a GoFundMe page to bail them out, how stupid of people to give to them", but then turn around and talk about charity. Really. Hypocrites.

And the idea that government should set up a system to hand out monthly food packages...boy was that not thought through before being presented to everyone here. That has been completely and utterly dismantled for the stupidity that it was.

As someone else mentioned, we already have that, set up, in grocery stores across the nation. It's a minimal cost to the government to give people a plastic debit card, that they are only allowed to purchase food with, and have those people go to the already built and stocked grocery stores to get their food, as compared to this monstrosity of MORE government involvement by "setting up monthly packaged food to be distributed". Talk about looking like a complete fool with that ridiculous idea.

Again, some people abuse the system. Find a solution for that. Do not bash on people who need help temporarily. If you want to impress anyone with your "vast knowledge" (cough) then come up with a solution to bust the welfare abusers who make it a lifestyle. Leave everyone else alone.

And while you're at it, why don't you show us just how many on the system are abusing it, and how many are legit in need of assistance. Show us graphs, tables, anything from a government source.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Let me burst that hate filled bubble for you:

I'm a Conservative, not a liberal. I am for the 2nd Amendment, I am against abortion, I have voted for Republicans in every single election that I've been allowed to vote, I am against illegal immigrants being granted amnesty or a "path to whatever horsecrap people on the left want to give them", I'm against allowing all of these refugees in to our country, I'm against hiking up minimum wage or even for a federal minimum wage, I hate marijuana and all other drugs, I'm for businesses getting relief when it comes to taxes and regulations, I do not want to tax the hell out of the wealthy just "because they have more money", I believe everyone who is able should find a way to make a living...I voted for Trump to let the establishment know that we were sick of their crap, and I can not stand Obama or Hillary, and think that what they have done, and what they intended to do would completely and utterly destroy our country. I support our troops, I am a veteran, I agree in building a wall, I agree that we need a strong military.

I also like the government to be involved as little as possible, but realize that the government is needed in some areas. As has been proven, as much as we would love it if charity worked, there's not enough people who care to help out through charity. There's too many who think that anyone who had a stumble in life are "lazy, stupid, drug users, or alcoholics".

By the way, charity can be abused, as well, so what's your solution for that?

I have given a LOT to people in need, even when I didn't really have the means to do it. I have donated, I have gone in with someone, handed them a cart in the store and told them to buy what they need. I paid for it at the register. More than once. So yes, I have put my "money where my mouth is", I have dipped in to my own pockets and given, freely.

I live in reality.

And reality is, even with life insurance, even with homeowners insurance, even with car insurance, even with health insurance, things happen to people in life that destroy everything that they have done and worked for.

You and others on here have this preconceived notion that everyone who gets assistance is lazy, stupid, useless piles of crap who are all on drugs or drink too much alcohol.

That is not reality.

There is a percent on welfare who do abuse the system. It is true that people get assistance and then go out to their giant, shiny new SUVs, and/or wear better clothes than I do, have their hair and nails done, keep having kids after being given assistance, who don't and will not work, who don't and will not even try to get out of it, who will blame everyone but themselves for anything.

There's also another percent that have done everything that they could to make their own way in life, but something happened. Something wiped them out. It wasn't because they were "irresponsible" or "lazy" or "stupid" or "on drugs" or "alcoholics" or spent all their money on cigarettes and scratch tickets, or didn't go to college, or even want to live like that.

Reality is, life is not as scripted as you all would like to believe.

You all acting like government assistance is just given, no questions asked, is the dumbest thing I've ever heard someone believe. When my sister's husband got sick with pneumonia, almost f-en DIED, was in the hospital for over a month, she started to look in to getting some kind of help, any kind of help. She can't work, she has MS. She is disabled. She can't even walk down a single fricken step without help. She used to have a business. She's college educated and ran her own business and did very well with it. He works 2 jobs. They have a son that just started college a year ago. They have another son who is still in high school. She's not stupid. Her husband isn't stupid. He's always gone, working.

When he got sick, no money came in. He has insurance. His job with a very big company has insurance for their workers. None of that kicked in because it was unknown at the time if he would be returning to work, or if he would take a turn for the worse and not make it. He didn't lose his job, they paid him the massive amount of sick time that he had accrued over the years. He didn't use his sick time. It rolled over, year after year after year. But do you know how they paid? They paid the equivalent of 2 weeks work per month while he was in the hospital, and while he recovered. He didn't come out of the hospital after a bit over a month and just hope right back on to the job, he had to recover. He had tubes coming out of his neck. There were oxygen tanks set up in their home, and medical staff would come to the house three times a week to check on him. Guess what? His stupid Obamacare didn't cover that. They had to get Medical, which is CA's "welfare handout" medical insurance. That was on top of the health insurance from his job.

According to you, it's their own fault that despite all of the insurance that they have, despite him being with his job for 20 years, despite the fact that she could not help it that she had MS, they couldn't pay the $500,000 bill.

Yes. That's how much their hospital bill was. Insurance from work covered some of that, Medical covered the in home expenses, (which were cheaper than him staying in the hospital for another 2 months to recover), but they still owed. And had only partial pay coming in for a couple of months, and then NO PAY coming in for the month after that. Didn't take long at all to wipe them out.

"They should have saved...blah, blah, blah."

Again, she has MS. A lot of their money, even with health insurance, goes to pay for her treatments. She has scans of her brain all the time. I sat in the waiting room at the hospital one of those times because she hates those things so much and knowing someone is in the waiting room just down the hall relaxes her. She's had multiple tests done on her. She has very expensive medicine that she has to take that insurance does NOT completely cover. Even before Obamacare, their insurance was unwilling to cover a large portion of it. They have to pay out of pocket. A one month supply of her shots costs a lot of money.

But according to you, they are lazy, stupid, drug users, alcoholics, or made bad choices. Yes, what a choice for her to have MS. What a choice for him to almost die...and I mean that, he literally almost died of that pneumonia. Then she would have life insurance...but how long does that last? She can't fricken work! How long do you think that was going to last with her ridiculously expensive mediation and treatments that she has to undergo, for the rest of her life.

So do not even sit there and talk about how you know anything. You don't know jack spit. People sometimes need help.

I find it funny how some on the right, my fellow Republicans, scoff and mock those who put up GoFundMe pages "for anything and everything" "they were irresponsible and put up a GoFundMe page to bail them out, how stupid of people to give to them", but then turn around and talk about charity. Really. Hypocrites.

And the idea that government should set up a system to hand out monthly food packages...boy was that not thought through before being presented to everyone here. That has been completely and utterly dismantled for the stupidity that it was.

As someone else mentioned, we already have that, set up, in grocery stores across the nation. It's a minimal cost to the government to give people a plastic debit card, that they are only allowed to purchase food with, and have those people go to the already built and stocked grocery stores to get their food, as compared to this monstrosity of MORE government involvement by "setting up monthly packaged food to be distributed". Talk about looking like a complete fool with that ridiculous idea.

Again, some people abuse the system. Find a solution for that. Do not bash on people who need help temporarily. If you want to impress anyone with your "vast knowledge" (cough) then come up with a solution to bust the welfare abusers who make it a lifestyle. Leave everyone else alone.

And while you're at it, why don't you show us just how many on the system are abusing it, and how many are legit in need of assistance. Show us graphs, tables, anything from a government source.
Bam! Well said. Can't rep you now.

Some of these posters would not be so judgmental if they actually met some welfare recipients. When I was a caseworker I dealt with the elderly that have worked their whole lives, veterans, families with medical emergencies and house fires, etc. So many heartbreaking stories!

To not have an adequate safety net in the richest country on Earth that prints it's own world reserve currency out of thin air for the rich, is a national disgrace.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I'm a Conservative, not a liberal. ... I also like the government to be involved as little as possible, but realize that the government is needed in some areas. As has been proven, as much as we would love it if charity worked, there's not enough people who care to help out through charity. There's too many who think that anyone who had a stumble in life are "lazy, stupid, drug users, or alcoholics".

I always love it when people are like "I'm a conservative" and they're not really. I mean, yeah, you're for the 2nd amendment and against abortion, blah blah blah blah. And then after a paragraph of that filler, it turns out that you're for a large, centralized federal government because the people aren't doing what you want ...which means you're not a conservative. And it's the same weak-headed baloney. "Even if people have insurance, things can happen." OMG, I had no idea things can happen! You don't say! So, you mean, since life can sometimes go bad, you demand a government to come and kiss your boo-boo?

"My sister's husband got sick with pneumonia, almost f-en DIED, was in the hospital for over a month." And? What's your point? In everyone's life, whether it's at age 5 or age 98, they'll get really sick and die. So literally 100% of everyone can present a scenario where this will happen. So therefore we should what? Have government -- which really means your neighbors -- pay for it? If you think so, why don't you just go door to door with a gun and take it from them apologetically like "hey, yeah, sorry, but you'll come to my door next week with a gun and do the same thing, so call it even?" And it's really odd, but you claim he has insurance and works with a very big company, but he got sick ...and then the insurance "didn't kick in" and "his stupid Obamacare didn't cover that"?

And then you say his bill was $500,000. Again, so what? You know what's funny? Everyone says that their medical bill was $1 million or $50,000 or $500,000. You know what that is? Money that the entire country doesn't have. OK, so let's say that we all spend $500,000 on medical care and essentially none of us has that and so "the government" should pay. OK, what's $500,000 times 300 million people again? Just for medical care and nothing else at all, keep in mind. And when I say that, suddenly the same people turn 180 and go "oh, no, almost nobody will have a $500,000 medical bill, ha ha." Oh, then why were you talking about something that never happens?

Quote:

And then he's like "here's why it's stupid: it costs almost nothing to give people a plastic card." OMG, thanks for telling me that, Einstein! Hey, guess what, the cost wasn't the card, it's all the money on the card. And then he's like "...they can take that card to any store and buy things." Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the problem, "Mr. Conservative." It's like reality flew over your head while you were making up the other story about your sister's husband for me to cry over. "Hey, I have a plan, let's give everyone a plastic card that they can use to go buy things and they get the same choices as everyone else!" Hey, neat, how about we just call it ...a ...a ...an ATM card!! Yeah, let's just give everyone an ATM card because you're like really smart and you "dismantled" my argument!

LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies