Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 12:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
No surprise here. Soda is cheaper than spring or distilled water. And the tap water in most urban centers tastes like garbage. Sugar is also an addictive, feel-good drug. If you're depressed because you're poor and live in a crappy neighborhood, this is your legal "high," your little bright spot for stimulation and good feelings.
Often overlooked, is the fact that the one thing poor people can do that doesn't cost money is have sex. At least while having it. That's why there are so many babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 12:56 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Why do I need to try again when I was right the first time?
Nah.. more like you don't understand and refuse to understand from the first time. My company wasn't established to create a product FOR the government.. we got funding from them after we had a viable solution to corporate software/automation needs that were aligned with their own. Either way.. it doesn't matter if the ultimate end result is a viable business and job creation. Too simple minded to see that because somehow you think it is counter to your political beliefs.

Again.. ignoring the list of things you claim I posted as unacceptable but was just complete B.S. Still.. wonder why?

posting it again....

Quote:
- Poor people don't get cash, they get food handouts.
- The handouts aren't high quality foods, they're subsistence-level basic foods.
- Shelter is minimal and shared.
- You perform manual labor in exchange for food and shelter. You do any labor that a low-skilled person would qualify for, including hard physical labor.
- Your kids also work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I actually see no problems with most of that.

* I did say I don't like food stamps (which is a form of currency). I would rather see plan membership of a food pantry. No cash. Nothing that comes close to currency. Eliminate stamp->cash scam.
* I did say that there are certain items that I don't believe should qualify. I would support that.
* I didn't say that shelter should be beyond minimal and shared. However, I do agree. My college had low income dorms that had no A/C and bunks in a 5x10 room for two. Restrooms at the end of the hall. Former military barracks. I think it was fine.. considering I was a poor student financing myself.
* I did say that unemployment should be illegal. Once unemployed and getting benefits you should be a government employee and free to do work that is assigned to you... even if it is manual labor and picking up trash on the street.
* I don't mind kids working. I think the minimum age of working should be lowered. However, this is the same reason that the drop out rate rises dramatically in the last two years of H.S. We need to figure out a balance.

Last edited by usayit; 12-02-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 01:04 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Is soft drinks.

Shock Chart Reveals Number 1 Item Bought With Welfare Money Is Soft Drinks

Time to end this taxpayer rip off and let private charities funded with private money through voluntary giving handle the feeding of "the poor". I guarantee they'll watch where the money goes much closer than the bureaucrats in Washington.
It's actually a give away to agribusiness. At any rate, I agree it needs to end.

WIC is better.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:05 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Often overlooked, is the fact that the one thing poor people can do that doesn't cost money is have sex. At least while having it. That's why there are so many babies.
That, and the fact that aside from people who just got dealt a completely sh*t hand in life (disabled from birth or a car accident or something, mentally handicapped, things like that), the same qualities that would keep a person in poverty for most of their life are the same qualities that cause people to be irresponsible with birth control.

You don't have to be dumb to be poor, and not all poor people are dumb, but being dumb can MAKE you poor.

Low intellect, low impulse control, lack of foresight, and incapability to plan ahead are all traits that can cause a person to become and remain impoverished, and all traits that cause people to take stupid actions regarding sex as well.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,422 times
Quote:
Nah.. more like you don't understand and refuse to understand from the first time. My company wasn't established to create a product FOR the government.. we got funding from them after we had a viable solution to corporate software/automation needs that were aligned with their own.
Translation: established to create a product for the government.

P.S. Thanks for agreeing with all of my recommendations.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Translation: established to create a product for the government.
Lack of comprehension.

Quote:

P.S. Thanks for agreeing with all of my recommendations.
So all that stuff you accuse me of was utter B.S.

You need to work on that comprehension.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:20 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
No surprise here. Soda is cheaper than spring or distilled water. And the tap water in most urban centers tastes like garbage. Sugar is also an addictive, feel-good drug. If you're depressed because you're poor and live in a crappy neighborhood, this is your legal "high," your little bright spot for stimulation and good feelings.
I agree that the tap water is likely acceptable in many urban centers but it's easier to find water for less than a dollar a gallon than it is to find 2 liter soda at .50. People choose soda over water because they like the sugar and/or caffeine.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
So all that stuff you accuse me of was utter B.S.
Note that the first time I made a reply to you on this thread was when you started writing about how it's easy for us to tell people to stay in school or not get pregnant, but we're not being fair to the poor.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Note that the first time I made a reply to you on this thread was when you started writing about how it's easy for us to tell people to stay in school or not get pregnant, but we're not being fair to the poor.
My Statement:

It is easy for people to say those things when in reality it is more difficult and complex of an issue.

Your Refute:

I support giving poor people cash handouts, quality food handouts, quality shelter handouts, against labor in exchange... support via welfare state.

Your refute was against an argument or stance that I never put forth. You heard/read what you want to hear to further your ranting against perceived "leftist" agenda. Just like I've pointed out in other threads, your pattern is the same.

1) State the opposite
2) Stretch the reasoning (in this case your refute wasn't against an argument I put forth.. ie strawman)
3) Marginalize/Dismiss (at least attempt to) the response at all costs (winning at all costs).

Old 12-02-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
My Statement:

It is easy for people to say those things when in reality it is more difficult and complex of an issue.
My refute: Good, then you pay for what they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies