Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:02 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

What happened? Have we given up criticizing the appointees he hasn't made yet and moved on to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Mine goes up by $2000 because Trump gets rid of many middle class deductions. It would not have changed with Clinton.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:23 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
All tax plans that are not a flat tax, FAIR tax or national sales tax suck.

Our tax system is a hideous monster of Frankenstein. Kill it.
Yes, definitely agree with this!

Old 12-04-2016, 06:56 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Flat taxes are what we have here in NC. The result was higher taxes on those with a upper middle class income. The flat tax hurts about 90% of the population and does nothing to promote increased growth or job creation. It is another example of trickle down. It has never led to better living only a loss of spendable income for those who have the least to lose.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:00 AM

1,008 posts, read 487,597 times
I am unaware of a coherent Trump tax plan, but I'm forking over way too much so any relief is welcome.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Flat taxes are what we have here in NC. The result was higher taxes on those with a upper middle class income. The flat tax hurts about 90% of the population and does nothing to promote increased growth or job creation. It is another example of trickle down. It has never led to better living only a loss of spendable income for those who have the least to lose.
Funny, I moved from San Diego to Morganton NC about 7 months ago and will pay about 40% less in state income taxes here. My car registration taxes are 75% less here, property tax 90% less, yet my income only dropped 15% for the same job. If I accept that what the Republicans did tax wise in NC is regressive, where does that place liberal CA?

Old 12-04-2016, 07:16 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
And BTW, job growth in Hickory and Morganton are at such a rate that there is alot of upward wage pressure especially at the the lower end of the scale. Fast food in Hickory had to go $8.50 to start just to get anyone to even apply and now have some chains contemplating $10 just to stay staffed. The talk of a $15/hr min wage concerns me, with my mortgage and car PMT, I would be real comfortable budget wise at $12.50. Plain old market forces are positively coming into play here, I don't want to see the Gov screw that up.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:22 AM

You see the same as I did 10 years ago. Well as a long term resident I see those advantages falling to the wayside. I see large increases in real estate, property, sales and use taxes. Large increases in cell phone, internet, land line fees. In fact large increases in service taxes such as for HVAC repairs, plumber, electrician and auto repairs all due to the flat tax plan. So yes this is lower then Ca. however the flat tax has hurt growth as well as income increases. You will find that you no longer have any deductions and your tax base will be higher then you realize, much higher then Federal tax basis.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
And BTW, job growth in Hickory and Morganton are at such a rate that there is alot of upward wage pressure especially at the the lower end of the scale. Fast food in Hickory had to go $8.50 to start just to get anyone to even apply and now have some chains contemplating $10 just to stay staffed. The talk of a $15/hr min wage concerns me, with my mortgage and car PMT, I would be real comfortable budget wise at $12.50. Plain old market forces are positively coming into play here, I don't want to see the Gov screw that up.
This is an example of why the minimum wage needs to be a living wage. Service jobs are now the entry level for employment, the flat tax hurts those trying to earn a living and support themselves. It takes more away from those that earn less.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:27 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
It sounds like my business tax will go down, but my personal taxes will actually go up without a little creativity.

It's good that he wants to increase the standard deduction, but to offset that he's removing the personal exemption which actually is a tax hike for a large chunk of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies